The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
In perspective, compared to the Greatest Generation we are spoiled as a society in general.
That is a fact.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
As with many interests and hobbies, the Internet has provided us with a breadth of knowledge that was unobtainable before.

I think it's probably inevitable that inquisitiveness leads to acquisitiveness.
Very interesting observations! Well done and well said!

- Glenn
Old 05-18-2021, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

We certainly have far more choices, and I think expectations of build quality and minute imperfections can get overblown. For me, the biggest difference is having more financial security and resources for musical instruments and equipment.

For many years working long hours and raising 4 kids, I was lucky to have a low end mostly laminate Yamaha acoustic, and my upgrade during that time was to an inexpensive solid top Gibson acoustic/electric that sounded barely good enough to play. At 59 (I'm now 71), I bought my first nice, all solid wood guitar, a Taylor DN3.

That DN3 changed my life, and as my finances improved, I've reached the point where I can afford a very enjoyable collection. I plan to sell 4 or so that I no longer play, mostly due to changing preferences in nut width, scale length, and tone. My youngest son is a very talented, accomplished guitarist, and a few in my signature live with him at his recording studio.

All will be passed along to him at some point, and I feel really fortunate for that.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by seannx; 05-18-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Or does the AGF’s age group influence the perception that we’ve got lots of high-dollar rigs? Ironically, when I was starting out as a gigging musician I could barely scrape the coin up for one decent guitar.

I got a job that actually paid my bills. Then I got old. Along the way, I bought some guitars that I’d wanted.

I ain’t a catch-and-release guy, but some are. That’s more used gear for the rest of us. I suspect that a lot of the folks with a lot of gear in their sigs are Boomers with disposable income for the first time in their lives.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-18-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
What ever do you mean Rich ? People who "think" they know everything are annoying to those of us who do. oh I am so bad.
You Are bad. Very, very bad.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I just did a quick count of the current topics (after the rules and how to post a photo, etc.) Within the first 22 threads, five were about NGD or related to buying a guitar. 17 were regarding other guitar topics. It's just a "snapshot" at the moment but is 5 out of 22 excessive?
Exactly...........
Old 05-18-2021, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Or does the AGF’s age group influence the perception that we’ve got lots of high-dollar rigs? Ironically, when I was starting out as a gigging musician I could barely scrape the coin up for one decent guitar.

I got a job that actually paid my bills. Then I got old. Along the way, I bought some guitars that I’d wanted.

I ain’t a catch-and-release guy, but some are. That’s more used gear for the rest of us. I suspect that a lot of the folks with a lot of gear in their sigs are Boomers with disposable income for the first time in their lives.
Hi Jim,

This ^^^ is not too far off my own story, but then... I am a boomer, also.

- Glenn
Old 05-18-2021, 07:12 PM

I'm enjoying your posts. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I’ve always been spoiled… in terms of having enough money to be frivolous and fickle with guitars. And I work hard. And the last three years of my life I wouldn’t wish on anyone. It’s true what they say. You never know what others are going through. You tend to start to get it as you age… although some younger ones have that wisdom too.

The only thing that really makes sense to me anymore is guitar and playing.

I have a few nice guitars. Nicer than some of yours, not as nice as some others. I’m just not going to feel guilty about it, and I’m going to be happy whenever I see any of you happy with yours. And cheers Jim Owen… you are one good dude.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Interesting that many people reacted to the guilt thing.

It never occurred to me to feel guilty about my guitars. I do feel grateful, though, not just for the guitars but for my whole life and the way things worked out.

- Glenn
Old 05-18-2021, 07:36 PM

Well, that feeling of guilt can be a good thing. It depends, like everything in life, on how you manage it.

it can be a source of torment or it can be a reminder that one should be thankful -- as long as you stay in that latter moment, the whole thing is only a joy, and a self-aware and confident joy at that
Old 05-18-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Qualifier: I did run a guitar company for 9 years and I do do all my own set-up work, so I can spot those gems shining in the low-priced market.
What were some of these gems? Do tell!
Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

It never occurred to me to feel guilty about my guitars. I do feel grateful, though, not just for the guitars but for my whole life and the way things worked out.

- Glenn
Me either Glenn, Kinda like when Kenny Rodgers says "There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin' done

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-18-2021, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
In the 12 years that I have been on the Forum, I get the sense that many (most) of the folks here share the sentiment of how fortunate (privileged) we are to be a able to have the guitars we have.

Not many of us (maybe none) here were around for the advent of the modern acoustic guitar, though some might have a sample of those early guitars. But in the scheme of things it was not that long ago. And now with the way small (quality) builders and shops have popped over the last few decades, as well as how the use of Technological has changed the broader market, well its a great time time to be alive and playing guitar.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 05-18-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:02 PM

Topics like this remind me of an interview with Bill Collings that I read some years ago...

In it, he was asked how he expected working musicians to be able to afford his guitars at their price point..

His answer was: "If I had to make a living selling guitars to working musicians, I'd be living under a bridge..."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion