The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you leave guitars out on stands?
I don’t leave guitars out of their cases, period. 67 27.24%
I leave one guitar out, one of my best ones. 37 15.04%
I only leave out less expensive guitars, as I don’t want the good ones risking damage. 40 16.26%
I’ve got several good guitars out on stands in a couple of different rooms. 97 39.43%
I have three less expensive guitars out on a triple stand in my living room. 5 2.03%
I’ve never left guitars out prior to this, but think I’m going to give it a try. 0 0%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2021, 06:11 AM

I leave out my Yamaha 331 and a Loar, both are handy when I have a couple of minutes to kill.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Currently my John Walker Wise River is in the stand nearest me. It certainly seems happy enough hanging there...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-18-2021, 07:02 AM

No I do not leave them out. They all sleep in their cases until 20 seconds before I need them. Because it takes that 20 seconds to undo the latches and take it out.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-19-2021 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Rule #1.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:00 AM

I rotate my guitars. There is one on a stand in arms reach of my desk chair, plus a couple more (and a squareneck) on stands in the living room. I live alone, have no kids or other animals running around, and live in a very wooden-instrument friendly environment, so other than my own innate klutziness, they are as safe as they would be in their cases, and when I glance at them they all call out "play me..."
Old 05-18-2021, 09:45 AM

Stands? I have them all leaning on pieces of furniture.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:02 AM

Depends on what I'm working on. There are usually 3 out at any given time, mostly in different tunings. If it's not played in 2 or 3 days, it goes back in the case, but it's almost always replaced by something else in a day or so. I tend to break up my practicing in a lot of shorter segments and like to have them close and ready. The only exception is the dead of winter if the humidifiers can't keep up, which is rare down here. The Carbon fiber guitar is out 24-7/365.

Last edited by jklotz; 05-18-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:22 PM

I can’t vote in this poll.

I don’t leave any guitars out on stands. However, they are all out on hangers in my guitar room, which is temperature and humidity controlled. The only time one is on a stand is if I set it there briefly to get something, then it’s back on my lap or hanging from a strap around my neck.

The only time they are in cases is if they are traveling or locked up because I’m on a trip.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 05-18-2021, 05:58 PM

I keep them in their cases unless out playing/string changing. For me it's easier to control the humidity in the cases than in the whole house.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:41 PM

The poll answers don't quite fit me. My partscaster tele stays out year round. My acoustics stay out in the Spring, Summer and most of the Fall, but are cased in the winter. The 335 lives in the case year round. The Sheraton is out a lot, but generally cased in the winter. I use Hercules stands up on my walls, so they are not on the floor generally, although I do have some floor stands and sometimes there might be a guitar on a floor stand.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:52 PM

Only my carbon fiber stays out given that this was the whole point of the purchase...Being able to have a guitar for “walk by noodling” 24/7 365 on the stand.

In Canada leaving wood guitars out is not an option unless you want to put mold in your house over time. I do not want to. Through the summer I play mostly wood but still case them. The majority of the time I do not mind de-casing, I just don’t want to do it a 100% of the time.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-18-2021, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
When the day comes that I’ve stopped playing my guitars because they’re in the case, the problem won’t be with the location of the guitars.
+1 on this answer.

I’m amazed that my answer, always in cases, has as many votes as it does. I always felt like I was in the very small minority. As I’ve written before, with kids and very curious cats around, I’m not chancing damage - and all of my nicer guitars are carbon fiber.

As a musician (though most of that time not on guitar) for most of my life, I never had issues with accepting peoples different choices of instruments, styles, etc. I would never think of questioning one poster who likes Martins versus another who likes Taylors. But the one pervasive thing around here that makes me shake my head is some variation on “I won’t practice as much if they are in cases.” My only explanation is that some people’s cases have to be stored in inconvenient locations.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-18-2021, 08:27 PM

Over the last 15 years, I have grown skilled in unwittingly kicking extraneous objects full force with my stockinged feet. Sometimes these objects are hard and prompt me to howl execrations that almost peel the paper off the walls. Other times, they are sweet, innocent objects that had no inkling they were about to be catapulted across the living room and broken in twain. If I had guitars out on stands, I know that I would eventually send one clattering and plunking across the tiled living room floor to suffer appalling, stomach-churning injuries. I'll pass!
Old 05-18-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
+1 on this answer.

I’m amazed that my answer, always in cases, has as many votes as it does. I always felt like I was in the very small minority. As I’ve written before, with kids and very curious cats around, I’m not chancing damage - and all of my nicer guitars are carbon fiber.

As a musician (though most of that time not on guitar) for most of my life, I never had issues with accepting peoples different choices of instruments, styles, etc. I would never think of questioning one poster who likes Martins versus another who likes Taylors. But the one pervasive thing around here that makes me shake my head is some variation on “I won’t practice as much if they are in cases.” My only explanation is that some people’s cases have to be stored in inconvenient locations.
I feel the exact same as you. It’s easy to de-case, just a bit of a pain if I literally want to noodle for 2-5 mins here and there at times. My carbon fiber is my “beater” and stays out...In general though, I’m with you...guitars belong in their cases...I am consciously keeping this particular one out for certain reasons...My fine wood guitars will always be cased for a multitude of reasons...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-18-2021, 08:41 PM

My guitars are out on stands because I have a whole house humidifier, and I just like looking at my guitars on display...

I also have grandkids who are well behaved, a dog who is well trained and I haven't kicked or knocked anything over since I decided to abstain from alcohol well over 20 years ago...

And yes, having them out is just as handy as a pocket on a t-shirt...

Last edited by Denny B; 05-18-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:00 AM
Guest 2423

no poll option for me. i leave all my guitars out on stands in my music room. don't care what others do and quit reading all such opinions long ago.........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion