The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-18-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
There is so much of this nonsense in audio, which is why people buy $100 power cables and $1,000 audio cables because they believe they can hear a difference.

I turn my Bugera amp on, then immediately turn on the standby switch, and play as soon as the tube filaments warm up.
Most people prefer hand-wiring for it's serviceability, not the sound. Just ask any guitar amp tech in your area what takes him longer to work on, and what is more difficult to work on, and then ask him how much he's charges an hour, and hand-wiring looks like a good option.

As for $100 power cables and $1000 audio cables, well you know what PT Barnum said

More to the OP's question, here's a pretty good article on the history and proper use of Standby switches.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...Standby-Switch
Old 05-18-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm ?? Fender says turn on amp with the standby engaged (no sound) then disengage when ready to play ???????
With the "standby engaged." That's like that dopey British-console thing with Mute switches -- when they're lit up they're On and the sound is Off.

Couch Standards
Old 05-18-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Most people prefer hand-wiring for it's serviceability, not the sound.
- Exactly. -

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-18-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
More to the OP's question, here's a pretty good article on the history and proper use of Standby switches.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...Standby-Switch
Interesting. The standby switch on my Bugera V22 Infinium cuts the high-voltage circuit, like Leo Fender's design. The manual, however, goes counter to the Sweetwater article, saying the following:

"STANDBY - Mutes the amp's output and preserves your valves. Use STANDBY when changing guitars, changing the MODE switch, selecting a new IMPEDENCE or taking a break."

This is basically saying the standby switch is a mute switch. I suspect the manual writer was following common wisdom, but perhaps there is something different about the Bugera design that makes this good advice? I doubt it, but I have neither the knowledge nor information to know one way or the other.

Any thoughts on this?

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-18-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Interesting. The standby switch on my Bugera V22 Infinium cuts the high-voltage circuit, like Leo Fender's design. The manual, however, goes counter to the Sweetwater article, saying the following:

"STANDBY - Mutes the amp's output and preserves your valves. Use STANDBY when changing guitars, changing the MODE switch, selecting a new IMPEDENCE or taking a break."

This is basically saying the standby switch is a mute switch. I suspect the manual writer was following common wisdom, but perhaps there is something different about the Bugera design that makes this good advice? I doubt it, but I have neither the knowledge nor information to know one way or the other.

Any thoughts on this?
The manual for my Mesa gives the same basic instructions, so not specific to Bugera.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:03 PM

Next topic: directional instrument cables? [emoji23]
Old 05-18-2021, 08:12 PM

I warm up all my tube amps for a minimum of 10 minutes before a gig (longer if load-in/setup time permits), 15-20 minutes before home practice - always did from day one...

Still have the top-panel/no 'verb/no standby switch Ampeg Rocket I bought brand-new in 1964 - still has all its original Ampeg-branded tubes which show no signs of quitting, original caps are still good (all confirmed by Ampeg guru Dennis Kager before his passing - at which time he also informed me that it was one of the very first amps he worked on, when he signed on at the Linden plant)...

Knew a guy back in the '70s (pro sound engineer for the classical division of a major record label) who used to warm up his all-tube McIntosh home system for a full 30 minutes before doing any critical listening - we're talking master tapes and pre-release test pressings here - and I've heard tell of similarly-conscientious audiophiles who are still running the OEM 1950's tubes in their equipment...

IME the longer the warmup period the better - easy on the gear, easy on the ear...
Old 05-18-2021, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
With the "standby engaged." That's like that dopey British-console thing with Mute switches -- when they're lit up they're On and the sound is Off.
" Engaged" was my terminology
Here is the excerpt I was referring too , from Fenders web site

"Therein lies the real utility of the standby switch. It allows the amp to be turned on but keeps full voltage from reaching its power tubes until they’ve had sufficient time to warm up, thus protecting them and prolonging their life.

You’ll notice that the switch itself usually isn’t labeled “on/off", but rather “on/standby". When you first turn your amp on, you want the switch to be in the “standby” position, in which no sound will be produced while the tubes warm up. Then, anywhere from 15 seconds to a few minutes after powering up, flip the standby switch to the “on” position, and you’re ready to rock at whatever volume you like."

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-18-2021, 08:24 PM

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/standby.html

Short answer is tube amps don't even need standby switches, other than maybe as a mute between sets or when changing guitars. They are pretty much the only consumer level tube gear from that era with them; TVs and radios didn't have them, and improperly implementing them can cause harm to rectifier tubes.

Switch on, plug in, and play when you get sound.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-18-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
How long should you ideally let your tubes warm up before you start playing?

I know alot of tube amps now days have standby switches that you can flick and warm the tubes up before you turn the power on... which seems like a neat thing although alot of people seem to think it's unnecesary.

I've seen some people say 30 seconds, some people say 2 or 3 minutes i've seen other people say half and hour plus.... so how long for a tube amp to really hit it's peak?

would you describe it as starting up a car on a cold morning? you should let it get to it's optimal temperature first?
So now you know: somewhere between zero and a couple of hours.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
So now you know: somewhere between zero and a couple of hours.
I think that's the definitive answer!

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-19-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Next topic: directional instrument cables? [emoji23]
who's got the popcorn?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-19-2021, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
who's got the popcorn?
I do and the glasses too !!

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-19-2021, 06:28 AM

Some amps have "slow start up" rectifiers,like a 5Y3 which is used in Champs.No need for a standby in these amps.The standby at start up is used to keep DC voltage off the plates of the tubes until the filaments or heaters are up to full voltage,only takes less than a minute.Dont over think it,turn on the power switch and wait a moment.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:22 PM

It really doesn't matter.

Back in the old jukebox days there was a relay coil in series with the output tube cathodes. When you dropped in your nickel and made your selection the tube filaments were hit with line voltage as soon as the output tubes conducted the relay pulled in and applied the proper filament voltage. Warm up time was greatly reduced, Sound was there when the needle hit the record.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars