The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-11-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
Stock photos, they mean nothing . That 10-band, interestingly, runs at 18v; the 6-band only 9v.
As I said: ALL pickups will need some eq. Dazzo, Trance or K&K. The answer is just a good Preamp, and you're done with any of those.

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 08-12-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Rodrigo;

I'd say that any eq'ing would depend upon the system through which you're playing.

When Vancebo installed my Dazzos, I set up my Bose L1 Model II and we used that for a reference when he did the install... I have to say that I was amazed by how good the pickup sounded; so good, in fact, that I don't think I'd use a mic along with it (to give it some "air").

We set it up through my Bose T1 mixer-gizmo, using the overall "flat" setting and i did NO eq'ing on that channel - no effects or treatment on the signal, and I sounded wonderful! I was thinking I'd have to tweak something a little bit, but there was just no need.

I have yet to perform with the rig, but my confidence is high that I won't have to do much, if any, tweaking to get the sound I want. I know the Bose T1 essentially "pre-amps" each channel, but it's just the normal piece of gear I use with the L1 Model II. While I will say that the sound was even a bit better using one of the Sunnaudio pre's, it wasn't "better enough" to warrant either the expense or the trouble to deal with another piece of equipment in the signal chain.

To my ear, the difference between the Dazzo and the K&K is like night and day...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-12-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Rodrigo;

I'd say that any eq'ing would depend upon the system through which you're playing.

When Vancebo installed my Dazzos, I set up my Bose L1 Model II and we used that for a reference when he did the install... I have to say that I was amazed by how good the pickup sounded; so good, in fact, that I don't think I'd use a mic along with it (to give it some "air").

We set it up through my Bose T1 mixer-gizmo, using the overall "flat" setting and i did NO eq'ing on that channel - no effects or treatment on the signal, and I sounded wonderful! I was thinking I'd have to tweak something a little bit, but there was just no need.

I have yet to perform with the rig, but my confidence is high that I won't have to do much, if any, tweaking to get the sound I want. I know the Bose T1 essentially "pre-amps" each channel, but it's just the normal piece of gear I use with the L1 Model II. While I will say that the sound was even a bit better using one of the Sunnaudio pre's, it wasn't "better enough" to warrant either the expense or the trouble to deal with another piece of equipment in the signal chain.

To my ear, the difference between the Dazzo and the K&K is like night and day...
And look how curious my case is: I was using a LR Baggs Session DI with a K&K. Actually, my pedalboard was the following: Taylor GS Mini with K&K into TC Polytune, into FTT Ambi Space Reverb, into Session DI. Then, I noticed that I was using the Session just for a DI out, and since I am saving money for get myself a Felix2, I just tested my rig without it, sending the signal direct into my K10.2 with the Sub Menu Crossover setted at 100hZ, and it sounded AMAZING. I really didn't felt the need for any EQ. And I decided to do it inside my home, my little home, in a high volume, to test the feedback resistance without external EQing. Even having a Touchmix8 for surgical EQ and Effects, I decided to use it just with the PA, to travel lighter. I did two gigs on the last weekend, and both sounded amazing with this setup, indifferent venues (big restaurant and small pub). Not a small signal of feedback (I used a soundhole cover, but I think I wouldn't need it in a smaller body guitar like the GS Mini). The only downside was that I "downgraded" my vocal mic for the lack of phantom power: usually I use my Neumann KMS105, and I had to go with the also great Heil PR35.

Even knowing I'm loving the sound of it from the reverb pedal straight into the PA, I know that when the Felix come, I'll have a way better sonic siund improvement, and all the EQing will allow me to adjust the sound I wanna have at taste. It sound great, but I know it can sound better with a nice preamp. That's why I always say: a great preamp with great EQ will always be a great idea. And all this great sound experiences I'm living is being with the K&K that I installed myself! How cool is that?

And here is a guy that have owned a Dazzo. I installed it myself in my HD28. Sounded nice. Really nice. I even made a review of it in my YouTube channel. But didn't sounded better than the K&K. Just more ballanced (K&K is heavier in the bass side). But, as I said, in the end, K&K, Dazzo and Trance can sound awesome when paired with great EQ. In my case, just that HPF of my PA made the magic. Sounding great, and I can't wait for the gig of this weekend!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 08-12-2021, 02:07 PM

From my experience:
K&K nearly always needed EQ. For ten years I used K&K + K&K preamp, bandmates still use it, and I have to use EQ on my board (Touchmix 16)
From the moment I started to use Dazzos, Ultra Tonic and Schatten HFN and pair it with a GRACE Felix or SunnAudio preamp, I did not use EQ on the preamp and on the board.
When a soundman is running the house system, he always reports the same experience about my vs bandmates treatment.
Funny thing is: I spent lots of money for boxes with elaborate EQ like Felix and Sunnaudio just to ignore it.
But I really like that and it took me to learning about stuff like transformers...

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-12-2021, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

On six different Dazzo equipped guitars, I either use the custom SunnAudio blender in a box that has no EQ, or my Stage DI with the EQ set flat. Mixer set flat. With the RedEye I used before, never touched the EQ . Solo or small acoustic group, EQ flat. Guitars 0 to dreads, with every Dazzo pickup,50s to 100s based on the guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-12-2021, 03:21 PM

I get what everyone is saying, but personally, I'm not selecting a pickup for it's eq because that is something that can be changed/adjusted. The attack, general tonality, and lack of "quack" (at least in the case of SBT's) is what I listen for. That said, I will soon be putting the Dazzo 70T's I received several months ago head-to-head against the K&K. Just waiting on a custom sunburst Larrivee OM-40R w/moonspruce top to come in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification