The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Brondel D-3, more recordings added

Recently landed. It's an attractive guitar, nice reddish hue to the macassar back.
Nut width is 1 3/16. Laurent does great work on playability, both of the guitars I have seen have had perfect action and a friendly neck profile.
The D-3 is a bewitching shape. A hair wider than a 00 in the lower bout, just over 14 inches, but with that dread-shaped wider waist and slopey upper bout. It sounds a little bigger than a 00, more like a 000 size, which is an accomplishment. Binding is bloodwood, rosette and purfling are pretty cool, Laurent's aesthetic is way beyond mine...
The build quality is right up there, Laurent is a master. The back and top are pretty arched, so tonally it has more clarity and separation than the typical Martinesque sound, and borrows a little from the Larson/Sobell spectrum, whilst the warmth is of a different quality. I have played archy guitars that I found lacking in warmth, but Laurent manages to keep plenty in there, so the tone does not become tiresome, but continues to tickle the ears...
The right tonal qualities we mostly look for are present in good proportion: plenty of volume, nice balance, good dynamic range, sweet trebles, rounded bass etc. The midrange is outstanding, all the way up the fretboard.
I've done my fair share of gushing over new guitars, so suffice it to say that so far it looks great, plays great and sounds very satisfying.
Without wishing to sound pretentious, I believe I can hear the European spruce tone, which is nice and warm and rounded, with a pleasing sparkle and shimmer. It chimes a little differently from red spruce, and is responsive and awake straight out of the box, which is a bonus.
I'd struggle to comment on the influence of the macassar, but it sounds lovely, seems to combine some of the good things of mahogany and rosewood. Overall, a lovely guitar, something a little different, that manages to synthesise various elements into a pleasing whole. I'll try to do some recording soon. Dennis

Last edited by dennisczech; 05-05-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Congrats. Interesting shape. What's the body depth? Looking forward to hearing the recordings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I'd love to hear some soundclips too. I've never played one of his guitars before but I sure like the way they look.

Hope you enjoy it for years to come!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 05-01-2011, 02:44 PM

congrats, do you still have you brondel OM?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Brian: the OM has gone to a new home. They crossed on their way across the Atlantic, so sadly I couldn't compare them. From my memory, similar tonal ballpark, but pretty different like cedar and spruce are.
Rick: the depth at the butt is 4 inches. The top is quite curved, so where your arm rests on the lower bout is 3.5 inches. Nice and slim, which I like, and a surprising depth in the bass registers considering. Reminds of a good Larson.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Brondel D-3 and Greven 00 recordings

Further to the thread below on the Brondel D-3, I have recorded it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c8nh6w9v9hq8d

There are WAV and mp3 files to choose from. I have done a pretty direct comparison with a Greven new vintage lutz/mahogany 00, kinda showcases the different strengths and tonal ballpark of the 2 instruments.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Beautiful Dennis... what a lovely way to start my day at the computer. Thanks for posting and for the Brondel D3 review... much appreciated. Cheers, Berf.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

I want to hear these, but my Mac requires me to down load software, and I don't want to. If you simply upload an MP3 file to a server and give an address most computers can deal directly with that.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 AM

Oh, what a gorgeous guitar. I love Macassar ebony, and have no doubt that this is a superb-sounding instrument.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I love the shape! I want one, and I live in Maine! (LOL)
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Default OK, try these MP3 recordings

I have also added a 1927 Martin 0-18. These 3 guitars have similar box sizes. The 0-18 is the slimmest in the lower bout but the deepest, whereas the Brondel is the widest in the lower bout and most shallow in terms of depth. So they make an interesting comparison. It may be a bit tricky to hear too many differences, but I think some of the character comes out. I like the clarity of the Brondel, and a nice little shimmer that I can hear.

Here is the Martin: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10605765

The Greven: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10605766

and the Brondel: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10605767
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM

Sweet!

Cheers,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop