The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-29-2020, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
I had to scratch that itch first of owning the various classics like single coil Tele’s and Strats and humbucker SG and Les Pauls before moving into something less iconic like an LP with P90’s or my Tele Deluxe.

I agree with some of the above posters that a Strat is a good base to start then add variety on top of that. A Player Strat with it’s hotter output pick ups esp the HSS model can do sparkling elven choirs singing in the forests of Lorien to orcs jamming in the deepest pits of Moria and everything in between.
By far one of the most entertaining descriptions of tone I've read in a long, long, time.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Well, I pulled the trigger after much internal deliberation and questioning of all my choices. Maybe they could have a few more Stratocaster models to choose from? FFS. What an education.

So my bonus kicked in, and I got paid out at 125% of my annual number, which is amazing in these times. I am a lucky guy, and offered each member of my family a gift. Of course I gave myself the gift of "whatever guitar I think I want". Wife got an Autoharp, and the kids a new video console and some other stuff.

I narrowed it down to the Clapton Artist model, the American Professional, and the American Ultra. Any of them would be amazing. At the end a lot of it was about the neck, it's gotta be playable above all. As best as I could guess I made a call and went for it. The Clapton was appealing because of the wider nut and the enhanced tone effects. I worried a bit about the small frets as I don't like those on an acoustic. I'm sure it would have been OK but maybe not optimal. The professional would have been a great choice, but some slight wonder about not having noise-reducing pickups. I was pretty set on that, and then someone offered me 20% off on a new Ultra. Medium jumbo frets sound great, the compound radius on the neck sounds great, satin on the neck sounds incredible, and the overall ergonomics sound amazing. Add noise-cancelling pickups which are well reviewed, and it seemed like a great enough deal.

Going to pair it with a BOSS Katana Mark II 50 watt amp. Hopefully the guitar shop can get me a good price there and I'll get it all in about a week.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger after much internal deliberation and questioning of all my choices. Maybe they could have a few more Stratocaster models to choose from? FFS. What an education.

So my bonus kicked in, and I got paid out at 125% of my annual number, which is amazing in these times. I am a lucky guy, and offered each member of my family a gift. Of course I gave myself the gift of "whatever guitar I think I want". Wife got an Autoharp, and the kids a new video console and some other stuff.

I narrowed it down to the Clapton Artist model, the American Professional, and the American Ultra. Any of them would be amazing. At the end a lot of it was about the neck, it's gotta be playable above all. As best as I could guess I made a call and went for it. The Clapton was appealing because of the wider nut and the enhanced tone effects. I worried a bit about the small frets as I don't like those on an acoustic. I'm sure it would have been OK but maybe not optimal. The professional would have been a great choice, but some slight wonder about not having noise-reducing pickups. I was pretty set on that, and then someone offered me 20% off on a new Ultra. Medium jumbo frets sound great, the compound radius on the neck sounds great, satin on the neck sounds incredible, and the overall ergonomics sound amazing. Add noise-cancelling pickups which are well reviewed, and it seemed like a great enough deal.

Going to pair it with a BOSS Katana Mark II 50 watt amp. Hopefully the guitar shop can get me a good price there and I'll get it all in about a week.
Welcome to the Dark Side
Might was well go for the Katana (for now , he he) Because the whole "Solid State Vs. Tube" is another river of opinions and options that is deep and wide. .....Congrats

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Welcome to the Dark Side
Might was well go for the Katana (for now , he he) Because the whole "Solid State Vs. Tube" is another river of opinions and options that is deep and wide. .....Congrats
Thanks! Yeah, I know. One step at a time. It's a $200 amp that sounds like it's pretty darn good. I'm sure I'll add to it at some point but I'll do it when I know more about tone and all that.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Nice. Killer looking axe. Take my word for it, you'll eventually want a HH a P90 guitar - it's inevitable.

Strats are plenty versatile though, and you'll get a lot of mileage out of it, I'm sure.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-01-2020, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Nice. Killer looking axe. Take my word for it, you'll eventually want a HH a P90 guitar - it's inevitable.

Strats are plenty versatile though, and you'll get a lot of mileage out of it, I'm sure.
Thanks! I think that's why I ended up with the SSS. Keep the strat the strat and get the a more Humbucker-based guitar as another when I inevitably want a new thing.

Still loving that Mira, it might scratch that itch when the time comes.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Darn exciting. We'll be looking for a review once it lands!

Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger after much internal deliberation and questioning of all my choices.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 PM

Stunning guitar. (Never tire of seeing Stratocasters and yours is beautiful).

Enjoy!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 PM

Whoa, nice gateway into the rabbit hole...your new home...lol. Btw just get a nice little tube amp and some pedals...compressor, tremolo, reverb and delay
Old 04-01-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all! Anyone have pick recommendations? I use like a 1mm on the acoustic. Assume that's going to be a bit much for electric.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:22 PM

It depends on the tone and feel you want. I use fender thins, jazz 205's, Jazz III's, "wood surf pick", bone, and diy nickle picks. All are useable and also depends on your attack, light, rythym, lead, attack angle and whatnot...another rabbit hole
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM

No reason why you can't use the same pick you use for your acoustic playing on your new Stratocaster. (That would by my first go to). No right or wrong on what pick a player chooses whether it be acoustic or electric.

Having said that, I've always used thin picks, but I'm also okay with slightly thicker picks and I really like Jazz picks. (I've always strummed/picked with my fingers close to the strings with little of the pick protruding).

Again, beautiful guitar!
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks all! Anyone have pick recommendations? I use like a 1mm on the acoustic. Assume that's going to be a bit much for electric.
No, that’s perfect!
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 PM

Those Ultras are really nice although it’s not really just a traditional SSS Strat is it with its S1 switch. Congrats a good American Fender is a great investment.

I actually prefer my Mustang over my Katana when playing clean. And Katana for everything else. I don’t use pedals yet.

I like Fender thin or medium picks when playing clean. And heavy for when I’m playing with dirt.
Yamaha FS800
Fender Player Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Special
Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 04-01-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I think that's why I ended up with the SSS. Keep the strat the strat and get the a more Humbucker-based guitar as another when I inevitably want a new thing....
Exactly!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars