The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

The Martin warranty is almost worthless. If you are fairly comfortable evaluating used instruments (for expensive repairs, ie neck reset, binding separation, fret wear or major damage) going used is a no brained. You get a guitar that’s already started the break in process for less money, and you can resell without taking a loss until you find the one.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
The problem with buying a used Martin is that the vast majority of people selling them don't know that you can get 40% off MSRP, so their used prices are still higher than getting a brand new one from a forum sponsor. Even here on the forum where it's widely known I regularly see this issue, and Reverb is even worse. That said some great deals come along from time to time - someone recently listed a used 000-18 for $1,400 and it sold in like a day. There's another used one on UMGF for $1,700 right now which is still a good price. So I'd say either keep an eye out for one of those great deals that pops up, or reach out to a shop like Maury's, LAGS, etc to get a great price on a new Martin.
That's all true for many sellers.

That said, this calculus only applies to buying over the internet, buying guitars you've never heard or played. If the discussion is limited to that, all of what you say makes sense.

If you're buying in person from craigslist or a local shop, you'll pay more for both used and new (probably) but you get the benefit of knowing what you're paying for.

I can't say how many times I've found an absolute standout Martin in my local shops, after trying 5-10 guitars. Your chances of getting that standout over the internet are obviously low. I'm more than willing to pay more for the proven standout guitar, new or used, factory, boutique, or custom.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Now may be the only time in my memory where buying new makes a lot of sense. I'm seeing asking prices that are absurd. If they are getting anything close, it's thievery. But no one is forcing buyers to buy I guess.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-21-2020, 01:08 PM

Default Martin: buy new or used

Hi, in order to stay in business the factory needs to sell new guitars.

I'd buy new.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Now may be the only time in my memory where buying new makes a lot of sense. I'm seeing asking prices that are absurd. If they are getting anything close, it's thievery.
They aren’t selling at those prices. Used Martin’s can still be had at 50% of factory price.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:02 PM

A neck reset is in the neighborhood of $400. If you can't get a used guitar for $400 cheaper than a new one - get the new one.

I always purchase a used guitar if I can find what I'm looking for. I don't generally find used guitars just a few hundred cheaper, and the 5-6 month wait for Martin's repair shop drives me crazy.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-21-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Those people have to get mad when they find out how much they overpaid for it. Considering that used pricing should be 50% of list for Martin. I guess some people pay more than the 40% discount on a used guitar because they don't know any better.
This is really good info for those of us shopping right now. Would you say this holds true of all the big brands?
Old 10-21-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterk View Post
This is really good info for those of us shopping right now. Would you say this holds true of all the big brands?
Nope. Definitely not.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-21-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Thank you for not typing "I would of just paid for it."

signed,
English teachers all over the world
And starting the sentence with “Anyways”.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-21-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
The Martin warranty is almost worthless. If you are fairly comfortable evaluating used instruments (for expensive repairs, ie neck reset, binding separation, fret wear or major damage) going used is a no brained. You get a guitar that’s already started the break in process for less money, and you can resell without taking a loss until you find the one.
I would have said something just like that.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 AM

Without question one can acquire a much better guitar buying used, allowing the first owner to take the depreciation.

Since that, rather than a warranty was always my priority, the decision was an easy one for me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-22-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Take note that if you take a brand new high end Martin to a good luthier he/she can dial it in better than it came from Martin. Why? Because it's not finished as well as it could be. The frets may be leveled better and other things. Not that it's horrible it's that it can be better. My point being that having some work done on a used Martin is not that expensive and the work more than likely could have made the guitar better when it was new. So what is the difference between a new and used Martin if you look at it with this in mind?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 AM

I used to get caught up in the idea of getting a good deal. I still do sometimes. It is nearly impossible to not consider it. However, I am more and more adapting the mindset that a guitar that I really like and inspires me to play is the best deal. A used or new guitar that might be more than what is considered "the standard good deal" is a good deal if it is the one you like and inspires you to play. I think this is especially true if it is in front of you and you are playing it as opposed to getting "the deal" by buying one online. I have bought a number of new guitars that were in front of me that I could have bought for less money online. I ended up selling the one really nice guitar that I did buy online. The guitar wasn't a dog. It just wasn't my thing.

I recently picked up an 18 year old D35. It has been played and has some dings on it. I had some fret work done on it. I have a little more in it than what most would consider the "standard good deal". I don't care. I played it in a shop next to a new one. I liked everything about it over the new one. I preferred the neck, nut width, tone, mojo, everything. When I'm playing it I'm not asking myself if I got a good deal on it. However, on numerous occasions I have been playing it and thought to myself, "wow, this thing is the real deal".
Old 10-22-2020, 10:16 AM

Personally, I will never buy another new guitar. As others have said, there are just too many great used guitars available. If you do a little research and buy from a reputable shop or individual you can save a lot of money and get a quality instrument. I live in a rural area and I have bought several used guitars online from well known shops and never had a problem with them. A good shop will give you an approval period, send you additional pictures, give you an in hand description over the phone, describe any repairs they did or ones that are apparent or work that they think may be necessary in the future and will have set the guitar up. You may be able to negotiate a lower price. The only small risk is paying for return shipping if for some reason you don't like the guitar.

And bonus - it may already have some mojo so you probably won't have to worry about that first ding in the top.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:24 AM

--deleted--

Duplicated information already posted.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

Last edited by phcorrigan; 10-22-2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Duplicated information already posted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion