The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 01:04 PM

Default And yet another guitar tuner thread!

Specifically I want to invest in a strobe tuner but want to make sure it will allow me to easily do several alternative tunings. The ads aren't specific on that unless I'm missing it. I don't mind spending a good bit to get the right one.

And yes I have gone from the typical guitar tuning of EDAGBE to i.e. to CGCGAC just by matching corresponding strings and notes but I found it tedious.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:07 PM

Cecil, my understanding is that the Peterson clip-on strobe tuner is much improved and offers sweetened tunings as well as standard tuning. Hopefully someone who uses one will chime in on this thread.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-15-2020, 01:33 PM

I recently, as I posted elsewhere, decided to look for a tuner that was more accurate or easier to use than one of mine ... yet cheaper than the Peterson. So I read up on at least 20 tuners, probably more.

The only one I found that to me would do what you want it to do would be the Peterson.

I ordered, btw, a Snark SN-5 Napoleon because it was $10 and it got good reviews at several different sites.

I do think however that when my ship comes in (does anybody say that these days?) I will get the Peterson, mainly to experiment with those tunings.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-15-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Cecil - the Strobo HDs will do what you want. You can even take your own custom tunings and load them by connecting to a PC.

You can get a list of all the tunings they come with out of the box from their website.

I use the clip on and StroboStomp HD tuners. Love them.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 PM

Thank you for all the feedback. I ended up springing for the Peterson SP-1 StroboPlus HD Chromatic Handheld Strobe Tuner.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:20 PM

Here's a picture of the current version of the Peterson StroboClip HD:

˙˙˙

In this picture it kind of looks like the guy is trying to sell a Gillette razor, doesn't it?

˙˙˙

Here's another screen grab from a YouTube video - the Peterson StroboClip HD is one of his favorite things:

˙˙˙

I wonder if he's written some more verses to that song "My Favorite Things"...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens.
Peterson StroboClips and some guitar strings,
These are a few of my favorite things...

˙˙˙

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton Von Trapp

PS: Mandatory acoustic guitar content: Notice the brand logo on the headstock of Julie Andrews' guitar? Given the year the film was made, that would be a Swedish-made Goya, manufactured by the Levin Guitar Company in Gothenburg (Göteborg,) Sweden (Sverige.)
Old 10-16-2020, 02:07 AM
Charter Member

ANY chromatic tuner will allow you to tune to alternate tunings. I use Standard, DADGAD, CGCGCD, and CGCGCE tunings, and I’ve used TC PolyClip, Snark, PW Micro, Intelli, Korg Rimpitch, Peterson, and several other brands of chromatic tuner whose names I’ve forgotten, perfectly successfully for those tunings.

But if you’re dead-set on a Strobe-tuner, the Peterson StroboClip HD is as good as any and better than most, as long as you’re not trying to tune in a noisy environment - it’s extreme sensitivity is its own enemy in those circumstances, and it’s easily fooled by extraneous sounds. I use my StroboClip HD all the time at home, but almost never for sessions, gigs etc. because of this.

For noisy environments, I use my TCE PolyClip. Very accurate, bright display, very resistant to external noise. I don’t faff around with its strobe mode (which isn’t up to the standard of the Peterson), I use it in standard chromatic mode and it’s very straightforward to use, and plenty accurate.

Just my two-penn’orth, FWIW...

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-16-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
ANY chromatic tuner will allow you to tune to alternate tunings. I use Standard, DADGAD, CGCGCD, and CGCGCE tunings, and I’ve used TC PolyClip, Snark, PW Micro, Intelli, Korg Rimpitch, Peterson, and several other brands of chromatic tuner whose names I’ve forgotten, perfectly successfully for those tunings.

But if you’re dead-set on a Strobe-tuner, the Peterson StroboClip HD is as good as any and better than most, as long as you’re not trying to tune in a noisy environment - it’s extreme sensitivity is its own enemy in those circumstances, and it’s easily fooled by extraneous sounds. I use my StroboClip HD all the time at home, but almost never for sessions, gigs etc. because of this.

For noisy environments, I use my TCE PolyClip. Very accurate, bright display, very resistant to external noise. I don’t faff around with its strobe mode (which isn’t up to the standard of the Peterson), I use it in standard chromatic mode and it’s very straightforward to use, and plenty accurate.

Just my two-penn’orth, FWIW...
By the way, you can also use a HZ-type tuner like my Snark HZ-1. Not only can you use alternate tunings you can also tune to a specific HZ setting for each string. It takes time as you have to go through each string AFAIK; you just can't on the spot check the tuning on a D string. And you have to manually set in the HZ ... and the meter jumps around a bit so you have to wait for the meter to settle.

I don't know if there is any interest out there for HZ tuning but I do like to use it ... when I have the time.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-16-2020, 08:29 AM

I dont know if the Peterson clip on
Has changed anything but I sold the one
I owned. At home in a quiet house
It was the best tuner I've ever owned.
Very accurate.. at a gig it was all but worthless.. just too sensitive. I couldnt use
It.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:35 AM

Found this interesting YouTube video on "tuning" from a guy named James Taylor... whoever he is...

And it looked like he was using a standard tuner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xnXArjPts
Old 10-16-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

In this picture it kind of looks like the guy is trying to sell a Gillette razor, doesn't it?

I've got both versions of these tuners. Personally I like the one your calling the Gellette razor the best. But both work great.

Don't leave for a gig without it.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:01 AM

Thanks all of you for your responses. That said, no offense to anyone here, but some of this sounds OCD to me tuning a few cents off here and there. I'm just happy when I learn a new song, hit the right notes, and my timing is precise. I get the point that the guitar is not a precise instrument but holy cow!
Old 10-16-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
Found this interesting YouTube video on "tuning" from a guy named James Taylor... whoever he is...

And it looked like he was using a standard tuner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xnXArjPts
Whenever I see James I can't believe how much he's (we've all aged)!
Old 10-16-2020, 11:09 AM

The guitar is so temperamental that a Snark or Peterson will not matter.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:32 AM

Cecil,

First off is "OCD" where right before you go to bed you repeatedly check your front door maybe 4 or 5 times to make sure it's locked? If your answer is yes, wheeew... I only check mine 2 or 3 times....for a while there I thought I might have it.

Back when I started studying classical we used an A440 tuning fork. Tap it on your knee and then place it on the bridge and tune. What a pain in the pattoot that was, but my instructor at the Peabody insisted on my learning it that way. Then shortly later I discovered KORG. I still have my AT-1 and still use it along with a $10 clip-on. They work for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion