The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

60s and 70s Martins will generally not save you money. Even rough ones. They either have already had the work done or will need the work done. Someone like Bryan Kimsey can get your guitar humming but will set you back up to a thousand dollars or more. I doubt you will find a seventies D 18 for $1000. If you could you will spend the $1800 a new one would cost you, and probably more. People spend the money because they like the guitars. In my admittedly expensive area, a good to go seventies D 18 with a newly reset neck will cost you $2500 at least, with the one very rough but solid example going for $2200.

Not being able to hold and play a guitar is a real hindrance. I feel your pain.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-14-2020, 05:38 PM

I found another D-18S at a different GC. It has the original Martin thermoplastic case and they guaranteed free return shipping if I am not satisfied with the condition of the guitar. The neck does not need to be reset and the bridge is not lifting. Other than play wear, it looks pretty good.

I have wanted one of these guitars for several years now. I have had the opportunity to play a few of these "S" models in the past (D-18S, D-28S) and I really like the feel of the necks. There is a lot to be said for them, such as solid mahogany necks. They are not that easy to find, in any condition. Besides, I couldn't afford a super clean one. Let's hope it sounds good, I know it's a gamble. The guarantee in writing of free return shipping clinched the deal because as I said earlier, the nearest GC is about a 12 hour round trip.

So anyway, I made the purchase and now the wait commences...
Old 10-14-2020, 06:02 PM

hey..those are nice. Just in case..I have had GC send me emails and pics on specs, like action and saddle height. Not all have done it but generally they want to sell a guitar so they get your request. Good luck.

Remember that if you buy off any site with old guitars you have a short return window as well. It is rare to get more than a few day even from an individual. But you got free shipping on the return which is a win.

Here is hoping it works out
Old 10-14-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Yeah, 3 days vs. 45 kills it for me.
That's pretty standard for a lot of shops. When I ordered my J-45 from somewhere else, my first questions where that and restocking fees.

That's the only guitar I've bought online and I think I got lucky. I'd be more wary with a used instrument.

Anyway, good luck to OP!
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 10-15-2020, 05:46 AM

Last year I bought a 72 Martin D35 off Reverb. I educated myself and asked a lot of question. This particular seller was an actual brick and mortar store with an impeccable reputation , so I felt confident I was getting the guitar pictured. It came to me fine and just as described. The only issue I had was as with a lot of 70s Martin dreadnoughts, intonation was slightly off and had it corrected for less than 100 dollars . Now I have a killer guitar for not a lot of money.

The 3 day return window is quite common for an instrument of that vintage. As soon as I received mine, I took it to the local Martin repair shop to look it over before I played it even. Three days should be plenty of time to identify any issues with the guitar.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:15 PM

Well, the 1972 D-18S arrived today from GC. It was supposed to come in the original Martin thermoplastic case, but to my surprise, it was stuffed into a cardboard box just wrapped in bubble wrap.

The overall condition was better than expected at first glance. But as I inspected it further, I discovered a bent tuner shaft and a rather low saddle. The guitar has a replacement pickguard, but it isn't black. The end pin was missing, and there are three tight cracks in the top near the pickguard. And the frets are badly worn.

In spite of all this, the back of the neck is in very good shape, as are the back and sides. I have played several "S" model Martins in the past and always hoped to someday own one. I knew that this one was not pristine, but at $2,000 it was the most affordable one that I could find. I can return it for a refund, but it has the best sound of any guitar that I have ever played, even with old strings. I called the GC store and they assured me that they would send the original case as soon as they locate it. And they are considering a partial refund due to the undisclosed issues.

I really should return it for a full refund, but it's going to be hard because the neck is so comfortable and it sounds so glorious. I realize that it will be expensive to have it repaired (neck reset after a proper saddle is installed and a refret job and repaired cracks and a black pickguard).

I don't want a new Martin. I could look around and spend more for a D-18S in better shape. It would most likely be a cheaper option, but the sound might not be as good. We'll have to see what kind of a deal I can work out with GC on this one. I get the feeling that they won't want to budge too much. I own several other Martins in great shape, but they don't feel or sound like this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion