The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2020, 05:47 PM

Default Martin Over Internet?

I've been thinking about buying a used Martin (late 60's -early 70's) from GC or somewhere else. I hate to buy without playing it first, but there are no guitar shops with any decent inventory in my area. I don't need to buy another as I have several nice ones at home, but that itch to try something else keeps coming back. Also, I'm on a fixed income so my budget is limited which means that I'll have to buy a player, with all of the bumps and warts that go with an older, lower priced guitar.

I'm wondering if I should take a chance on having to pay return shipping if I don't like the guitar or if I should just take a cold shower and forget it. I've found a couple Martins on GC's website and talked with the store manager on the phone, but if the guitar is misrepresented or arrives needing a neck reset, I'll have to eat the return shipping (the nearest GC is about a 12 hour round trip). I don't want a new one because I don't like the new Martin necks. I know that buying an older acoustic sight-unseen is fraught with danger, especially when dealing with GC. You'd think that by now I'd be satisfied with what I have.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:03 PM

The guys at my local Guitar center said they can get the used guitars you see on the web in for you to try, so if you see a Martin you think you might want to try order it from the website to have it sent to your local GC.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:04 PM

That's just the problem, I don't have a local GC.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:07 PM

I like to see good pictures of the string height at the 12th fret and how tall the saddle is on any used guitar.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-12-2020, 06:10 PM

I suggest laying down for a nap to see if the urge goes away. Only you can balance the allure of the unknown versus the risks of buying remotely. How disappointed would you be to potentially eat the shipping costs and hassle? Personally I'm over the whole Martin mystique, but I certainly get why people would want to check off that box. Been there, done that myself. If you have an itch that simply MUST be scratched, then you may have to roll the dice.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:48 PM

I mean you get 45 days to test drive it. Worse comes to worst you're out a few bucks for the shipping.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-12-2020, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Sleep on it. If you still want the guitar, go for it. Paying for return shipping if you don't like isn't that bad, especially since, as the above poster mentioned, you get 45 days with it. Say return shipping is $75, you would be renting the guitar for less than $2/day!
Old 10-12-2020, 07:29 PM

Given today’s shipping environment, I wouldn’t view a shipped guitar there and back as an easy peasy, 100% sure bet way to try out a guitar, done deal kind of thing. In fact I recall stories pre Covid-19 days when buyers thought they could go that route and got stuck with something they didn’t want for various reasons.

If I were you, I would sit tight and watch for a great deal to materialize within 3-4 hours drive or on reverb. The reason I would prefer reverb in your situation is 1) they have much, much better pictures and you can get the seller in written communication to disclose the condition of the guitar. If the guitar doesn’t match the photos or the written description the return should be on the seller’s dime. And 2), with no GC store anywhere close to you, the convenience of returning the item to the local GC store is negated.

However, I looked at reverb earlier and used asking prices there seemed ridiculously high. So I would go into this thinking it might be a 6 month plus search. By then, perhaps the GAS would be gone anyhow.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Given today’s shipping environment, I wouldn’t view a shipped guitar there and back as an easy peasy, 100% sure bet way to try out a guitar, done deal kind of thing. In fact I recall stories pre Covid-19 days when buyers thought they could go that route and got stuck with something they didn’t want for various reasons.

If I were you, I would sit tight and watch for a great deal to materialize within 3-4 hours drive or on reverb. The reason I would prefer reverb in your situation is 1) they have much, much better pictures and you can get the seller in written communication to disclose the condition of the guitar. If the guitar doesn’t match the photos or the written description the return should be on the seller’s dime. And 2), with no GC store anywhere close to you, the convenience of returning the item to the local GC store is negated.

However, I looked at reverb earlier and used asking prices there seemed ridiculously high. So I would go into this thinking it might be a 6 month plus search. By then, perhaps the GAS would be gone anyhow.
Guitar Center's return policy is super cut and dry. You can return a guitar, for any reason, as long as it's within 45 days of purchase. I can't recall anyone ever having an issue returning anything to a major chain like GC.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:24 AM

Some good advice here. However, GC only allows 3 days for returns on vintage guitars. I think I'll call back and try to get some better photos because their photos and descriptions on used items are pretty poor.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:34 AM

When I was looking for my Martin, I tried out about 10 or 15 different Martins around the Seattle area (back in 1986-7) and even a Guild. I found my guitar (HD-28) and knew it was for me, it sounded better than anything else I tried. I also liked a few D-18's. I would not buy a used guitar over the internet without playing it. There is enough difference that you need to try it to be sure.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Some good advice here. However, GC only allows 3 days for returns on vintage guitars.....
To me, this is a deal breaker. That gives you essentially one or at most two days with the guitar before you have to decide to send it back. I would want several long playing sessions to make sure my hand was happy with the neck before committing.

Or you can learn to love the ones you already have......
Old 10-13-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
To me, this is a deal breaker. That gives you essentially one or at most two days with the guitar before you have to decide to send it back. I would want several long playing sessions to make sure my hand was happy with the neck before committing.

Or you can learn to love the ones you already have......
Yeah, 3 days vs. 45 kills it for me.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-14-2020, 07:19 AM

It's a no-go. The guitar in question is a D-18S. I got the store to send me some better photos, and there are just too many issues such as needing a neck reset, lifting bridge, extensive dings on the back of the neck, previously undisclosed body repairs, and an off-branded case for a 14 fret guitar (I was first told that it comes with the original Martin hardshell case). I don't mind some wear from playing, but I'm looking at having to sink quite a bit of money into the guitar to make it right. Also it appears that the guitar has been oversprayed. I'd be much better off to keep looking for a better example and pay a little more for it. GC won't budge on the price. I'm just glad that I got a helpful employee on the phone who was willing to send me better photos.
It is amazing how poor GC's photos and descriptions are on used instruments. Thanks for all of the input.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

GC used prices are to high. Especially since you can't trust the information they have on them. And the condition they are in. I don't know how they sell their used guitars. I don't even look at their inventory any more.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion