The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I've been a consistent Martin SP user for a while, but got introduced to Lowden strings. I really like them, however they aren't cheap. I'm also considering trying out Santa Cruz "low tension" strings. Their philosophy and focus on strings is not necessarily the gauge, but the tension. Based on the reviews I've read, they are worth a try.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Hi Scott,

Generally speaking, 12's tend to be the default for most of today's guitars, and the tuning issue you describe is almost certainly not related to the string gauge (could be a rare, bad set of strings), and could be as simple as the strings being new. Many here on AGF prefer 11's for playability (as I do), with 10's being much more the exception than the rule. You're well served to start with 12's, and then experiment with 11's and perhaps 10's. In addition to playability differences, you'll need to evaluate the tonal & projection differences between the strings. I should also note that many prefer heavier strings and perhaps use 13's, etc. Only you can decide for you. If the tuning issue remains after changing strings I would recommend taking the guitar to a tech (or where you purchased it, if new) and have them check it out. Best of luck! Cheers!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBeckett View Post
I've been playing for years, never had any trouble changing or tuning strings, only since I got this guitar has it been a problem. But I've only tried 12's on it, if it doesn't get better with lighter strings I'll see a luthier.
If you are sure it's got nothing to do with strings slipping on the pegs or getting stuck in the nut slots because you are tuning down then I would take it to a luthier now, a guitar that can't cope with medium guage strings is not really much use.
Or maybe if it was recently set up then perhaps the neck has not yet stabilised after the truss rod was adjusted?
Old 10-22-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I’d be looking at the tuners. Are they the cheap Martin branded tuners or nicer ones like Waverly or Schaller? Usually, if it’s humidity related and you have a very accurate tuner, the guitar will go sharp or flat relatively equal on all strings. If it’s a tuner, then the string will never go sharp but go flat more than the others. I always use 12’s on my 00/000. They can also take 13’s. 11’s are for those players with weaker hands or people who just like softer feeling strings. The guitar needs a bit of tension to drive the top, but if you’re just noodling on the couch while someone else is watching TV in another room, then 11’s or lower are perfect.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 AM

I put 11's on my Taylor 322ce, which is pretty much the same size as my Martin 000-18. I do a lot of single note playing that comes from electric guitar type songs, the 11's make that so much easier. When I play out I'm always plugged in so the acoustic volume of the strings set or the guitar for that matter, is irrelevant. The 11's sound like any good acoustic guitar. I do not believe in having to fight the guitar. When you play comfortable, you play better.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:56 AM

I am another person who thinks it is very unlikely that your tuning problems are due to the gauge of strings you have on your 000. More likely factors (in order of my sense of most likely to less likely): humidity changes where you live (or, if the guitar is a VERY recent acquisition, the change in humidity from where it came from vs. your home), strings not being seated or wound optimally (do you "stretch" your strings once they are on? I really pull on new strings 3 or 4 times, along the full length of the scale to minimize tuning problems in subsequent days; it seems to me that some guitars are more prone to improper seating or lingering slack than others, though I can't imagine why that would be so), guitar needs a set up (even though the person who sold you the guitar did one), old strings that are no longer intonating well, bad tuners, or temperature changes.

I don't use anything lighter than .12's on any of my guitars, some of which are smaller bodies (one is a 00). I do prefer round core strings, or compensated torque/lower tension strings (e.g. Straight Up Strings). So I can't agree with whoever is saying that smaller guitars do better with lighter strings. Unless you are playing an older small guitar where you are concerned about creating a problem (example might be a 80 year old Gibson 00), or the manufacturer/maker is specifically recommending light strings (Goodall recommends Elixir .11's for some of his guitars), I'd stick with .12's. You can go with lighter strings, of course. You should be alert to the possibility that lighter strings might change things enough so that you would need a new set-up, even if the set up done before you got the guitar is a good one.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Hi

I recently bought a Martin 00013e, which is a small bodied guitar, and I've been using 12's on it, and it doesn't seem to like them, it doesn't stay in tune very well. And after some research I've seen a few articles saying it's best to use lighter strings (10's, 11's) on smaller bodied guitars.

Can anyone agree with this? I'm going to buy some 10's and see for myself but just want your thoughts...
Add me to the chorus who say that the 000-13e should take well to 12s.

That said, I use light Retros on my 000-15m, ad they seem to thrive on that guitar.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:44 AM

You should play whatever you like. We can't decide for you.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I play .011's on my 000-15
Old 10-22-2020, 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Really helpful. I’m going to try a new set of strings, then another set up. And see where I am there.

I gig regularly so I need a reliable acoustic that stays in tune even when I throw a capo on quickly.

The Martin was £1200 so not cheap. The tuners are silver with the Martin logo on. They don’t look or feel cheap? And the screws are all as tight as can be.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Hi

I recently bought a Martin 00013e, which is a small bodied guitar, and I've been using 12's on it, and it doesn't seem to like them, it doesn't stay in tune very well. And after some research I've seen a few articles saying it's best to use lighter strings (10's, 11's) on smaller bodied guitars.

Can anyone agree with this? I'm going to buy some 10's and see for myself but just want your thoughts...
3 words for you: Setup, setup, setup.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:37 PM

I use 12s on my 000-X1ae which is short scale (24.9") just like your 000-13e. I can't imagine that you would have to use a lighter gauge string to address tension or intonation.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-24-2020, 02:29 PM

ScottBeckett- in answer to your question, some of what I play is blues, so I do some string bending. The FlexCore string is s8mply a round core phosphor bronze formula that makes bending a little easier.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:59 AM

I am using D'Addario EJ16's on my 000-18 at the moment. I bought a set of Martin Silk & Steel custom lights for my next string change. I have used them before and really like them.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:09 AM

its your tuners...or the strings are binding in your nut slots.
I have a martin 00012e koa

swapped tuners for gotoh 301.
I like the 18:1 ratio better.

also polish your nut string groves with a dremel with buff wheel, some silicone car wax, and put a drop of freboard oil or lubricant on the nut slot groves when tuning or putting on new strings.

Since we have almost the same model martin, I am going back to 12-53. I have 11-50 on it now, but lt loss bass and volume and I think the strings a bit floppy. Remember these are short scale guitrs.

as for strings, I tried every string known to mankind and spent a fortune on strings. Bottomline, going bck where I started, DiAddio exp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0551E44B-378B-4DB4-845E-16246FB88A4C.jpg (28.1 KB, 15 views)
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 10-25-2020 at 10:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion