The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I just finished The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin, which is Book 1 of a trilogy. Really fascinating and inventive, but the final few pages' explanation left me a tad disappointed. I'm hooked nevertheless. Has anyone else read the trilogy? Thoughts?
Amazing. My cousin (who just returned from China) recommended this book to me last week. She very much enjoyed it.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Wilkie Collins

E953554C-0D93-4FC9-8357-E146831EE6DE.jpg

I’m almost through The Woman in White. If you like mysteries, Collins was their granddaddy. This Modern Library copy belonged to my great aunt.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-16-2020, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

I just finished the autobiographical audiobook, Eminent Hipsters, by Donald Fagen (half of Steely Dan) who narrates the book himself, which I wish more authors did. And I'm not sure how I feel about it.

His knowledge of jazz is reverent, passionate and encyclopedic. I was fascinated to hear how that inspired his development into a talented and cerebral musician/songwriter. But his cynicism, while understandable (helping to explain the quirkiness of so many of his songs), came out, to me anyhow, as condescending distain for people in general, including even his cultishly loyal, cash paying fans.

So from a life-long amateur musician's perspective, it's a fun, informative read. But still, I suspect the acerbic author would roll his eyes and berate me for even claiming that I actually "get it."

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-16-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Amazing. My cousin (who just returned from China) recommended this book to me last week. She very much enjoyed it.
Awesome. If you ever get to it, let me know what you think! I'm reading another couple of books before I get to Book 2, but I'm looking forward to getting to it.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

The Little Book of Talent
52 Tips for Improving Your Skills
Daniel Coyle

As a former air traffic control instructor and lifelong guitarist, I find each of these 1-2 page tips easy to digest and put into practice. Link takes you to the whole book online in .pdf format. #18 is profound and priceless.

https://www.gameintelligence.nl/wp-c...our-Skills.pdf

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-20-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I just finished the autobiographical audiobook, Eminent Hipsters, by Donald Fagen (half of Steely Dan) who narrates the book himself, which I wish more authors did. And I'm not sure how I feel about it.

His knowledge of jazz is reverent, passionate and encyclopedic. I was fascinated to hear how that inspired his development into a talented and cerebral musician/songwriter. But his cynicism, while understandable (helping to explain the quirkiness of so many of his songs), came out, to me anyhow, as condescending distain for people in general, including even his cultishly loyal, cash paying fans.

So from a life-long amateur musician's perspective, it's a fun, informative read. But still, I suspect the acerbic author would roll his eyes and berate me for even claiming that I actually "get it."
I'm not in the habit of quoting my own posts, but I could not shake the interesting contrast I found between Donald Fagen's book (mentioned above) and another collection of autobiographical anecdotes I listened to on audiobook this week: "Me and Sister Bobbie - True Tales of the Family Band" written (and narrated) by Willie Nelson and Bobbie Nelson.

Both books are stuffed full of very well-written snippets of life and how the respective authors ended up where they are today. But (of course) what completely different outlooks on their philosophies of life, spirituality and their loyal fans! While both books are informative, entertaining and fascinating, I enjoyed this one more because of Willie and Bobbie's humble appreciation for people in general.

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-30-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:05 PM

I'm on to the next book:

Old 12-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Highly recommended! You may have seen his hilarious clips on the internet. From the inside flap...“When sporting events effectively drew to a close in March 2020, commentator Andrew Cotter was out of work. He turned to his Labrador Retrievers, Olive and Mabel for inspiration...”

Old 12-07-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
In another forum I frequent, members are currently exchanging "Halloween Theme" book titles. I don't know how trick-or-treaty this one is, but it has plenty of adventure, horror and excellent storytelling. Weaveworld by Clive Barker.
What a GREAT book, I mean of that genre, although I am not sure what genre it is in. Have you read anything else by Barker?

I am re-reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. It truly is an amazing book. It should be required reading for anyone interested in how humans think and behave. In fact, I just had an experience that could have dropped directly out of Kahneman's examples of how people can be intensely irrational and lazy at the same time. I may start a thread about it.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 12-07-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I just finished The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin, which is Book 1 of a trilogy. Really fascinating and inventive, but the final few pages' explanation left me a tad disappointed. I'm hooked nevertheless. Has anyone else read the trilogy? Thoughts?
Yes. It is very different from any SF that I had read. Unique really, and very thought provoking. The ending however....
Old 12-07-2020, 07:25 PM

Beneath the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan. It's the story of the wife of Robert Louis Stevenson. And following that, The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne
Old 12-07-2020, 07:40 PM

I'm reading the Guy Clark biography "Without Getting Killed Or Caught" by Tamara Saviano...

It's very well written from an insider's view, and I wasn't aware of how far back some of Guy's connections and friendships, personal and professional went...

I'm a Guy Clark fan from a long way back, and I'm truly enjoying this book...
Old 12-07-2020, 11:29 PM

I'm currently reading "Sinister Forces" by Peter Levenda. It is a trilogy and I am on book two. It's a lot to take in as it is historical and every page can leave you shaking your head. I would recommend this author as the facts are well documented and it is eye opening.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:46 AM

The World of Captain John Smith, by Foster.

So far a really interesting read about a fascinating life and man.

Also,
Concrete Blonde, by Connelly (Bosch series)
Always good!

scott
Old 12-08-2020, 10:29 AM

Finishing up Condominium by John D MacDonald, author of the Travis McGee series.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic