The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-17-2020, 06:24 AM

Default Question for you chimney experts

We are putting a wood burning fireplace in our home. I'm having a certified fireplace installer (is there such a thing) put in the firebox and the flue. The chimney has been framed out for the firebox. Once the firebox and flue are installed, the brick will be laid on the outside of the chimney.

Here is my question.

The way it has all been framed, there will be a 30 degree bend in the flue as it leaves the firebox and about 4 feet above that it will go straight up to the top of the chimney.

The chimney's height is just above the ridge of my roof line at least 20 feet from the ridge.

My question is this. Will the 30 degree bend in the flue introduce any issues with the fireplace's ability have a good healthy draw so smoke won't come into the house?

It's not too late to change the framing so that the flue goes straight up from the fireplace box to the top of the chimney, although I'd rather not have to do that if it's not necessary.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:55 AM

The bend may compromise your ability to install a modern chimney liner. You may not want this or even think it's necessary, but the lack of one will be cited as a critical defect by a future home inspector should you ever decide to sell.

Last edited by AX17609; 10-17-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:20 AM

From my experience the first issue arrives around the chimney cap with creosote. Many homes here utilize woodstoves, a lot of them have 90 degree bends in the flue. Don't believe I'd worry about a thirty degree bend. What about a fresh air vent? Fresh air is critical for proper ventilation.

Last edited by JCave; 10-17-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:51 PM

Do the prevailing winds hit the chimney before the ridge peak or after? If it's after, i'd be more worried. Keep in mind that a bend in the flue will make it harder to clean Is it a round or square flue? How big?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:31 PM

I talked the company that will be installing our fireplace and flue. They are a legit firm that has been doing this since 1974 - they seem to know what they are doing. Since the firebox is prefabricated, it will use a double-wall pipe for the chimney flue - not the clay liner used with a masonry fireplace. They say the single 30 degree offset bend will not impact the draw.

The chimney is a bit taller than the ridge line of the roof, and the chimney is on the west side of house, which is the direction from which the wind typically comes.

And it will be vented.

So hopefully, all will be well.

Thanks so much everyone. Your input allowed me to ask more intelligent questions to the folks who will be installing this, and I have more peace about it than I did previously.

Last edited by 815C; 10-19-2020 at 03:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic