The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2020, 10:29 AM

Default What are you folks using for preamps?

I have been looking at, and listening to several different model acoustic preamp/direct boxes, and would like to hear from anyone that has experience with them.
The first one I looked at was the Grace design Blix. All of the examples Ive heard had an unnatural sound that was emphasized in the low end. Almost sounds like the low strings are wound nylon. The guitar used in the example was a vintage Martin, and they don't sound that way in real life. Could this be the result of that players personal set up of the Blix? EQ? What is your experience with this preamp?
Second one I am looking at is the Radial engineering PZ-PRE Direct box/preamp. I am leaning toward this one, as examples sound real natural, but would like to hear the opinions of anyone that has used it before I pull the trigger.
This will be for use with my Huss & Dalton CMR, with anthem SL.
Thanks to all that offer input.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:41 AM

I own neither, but I'm going to suggest that the difference you're hearing has less to do with the pre and more with "the other variables" entailed in creating YouTube videos.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:42 AM

I'm currently using an LR Baggs venue. It's pretty good, but the tuner stinks. When I upgrade, I'll probably take a good look at the Sunnaudio MS-2 stereo preamp. It has some unique features and all the demos sound really good. Plus it has 2 channels so my drop tune guitar can have it's own eq.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.bowman View Post
I have been looking at, and listening to several different model acoustic preamp/direct boxes, and would like to hear from anyone that has experience with them.
Hi S.b

ToneDexter.

My backup are Raven PMB-I & II or DTAR Solstice.

I left my K&K dual source microphones installed in all my main guitars even though the ToneDexter only uses the pickup in the event of emergencies or equipment failure.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I own neither, but I'm going to suggest that the difference you're hearing has less to do with the pre and more with "the other variables" entailed in creating YouTube videos.
I realize that Youtube compresses audio, but we are talking about a pro made video by the manufacturer. I would think it unlikely that they would compress the source before letting you tube have its way with it, which could cause what Im hearing,but you never know. The sound on that example, and a couple more that I have heard all had that overly compressed sound, and I am sure some of it could be contributed to Youtube, but just wondering if the Blix is playing a role. Unfortunately there is nowhere near me to try one out in person.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:33 AM

For the video I saw, they mic'd a PA speaker and blended the direct out with that, and added reverb.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:18 PM

Grace makes high quality, very clean preamps. I doubt anything you heard that was that bad was due to the Bix. Can you post a link to the videos you're referring to?

I have a Grace Alix, the "middle brother" of the Grace acoustic preamps, and it's fantastic. Great sound, highly adjustable EQ.

Remember that the rest of the signal chain--especially pickup--is important too, even before YouTube wreaks havoc on the audio. Even a Grace preamp will only be able to do so much with a crappy undersaddle piezo.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Grace makes high quality, very clean preamps. I doubt anything you heard that was that bad was due to the Bix. Can you post a link to the videos you're referring to?

I have a Grace Alix, the "middle brother" of the Grace acoustic preamps, and it's fantastic. Great sound, highly adjustable EQ.

Remember that the rest of the signal chain--especially pickup--is important too, even before YouTube wreaks havoc on the audio. Even a Grace preamp will only be able to do so much with a crappy undersaddle piezo.
Yes, I am starting to think that I may have jumped the gun installing the Anthem SL. I have seen videos of the Felix and Alix, and both sound awesome, even on you tube. The Tone Dexter looks great as well, but I am reading that it doesn't play well with the anthem.
I appreciate the input from everyone. Now Im thinking that I am going to change out my pickup before proceeding.The anthem sounds decent straight to my board with a DI, but I need more control for live. Didnt realize that it would pose a problem with many of the preamps I am considering.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
For the video I saw, they mic'd a PA speaker and blended the direct out with that, and added reverb.
This is one of the videos I watched. For demo purposes they should have killed the verb. The low end just sounds awful.(Sorry if this is a board member playing this demo. The playing is great, just not a tone I'm after.
https://youtu.be/iqIoJ0fwH9c
Old 11-27-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

If I'm not depending solely on the onboard electronics in several of my guitars, and I may use some external preamps even with these onboard ones, I have these external devices that I can add into the mix: ToneDexter, Fishman Aura Spectrum DI, LR Baggs Session DI, Rolls PB224, and a Steel Guitar Black Box.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-27-2020, 02:46 PM

I have a bix and felix , both are amazing. Bix for the price is fantastic.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
ToneDexter.
Same here.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-27-2020, 03:03 PM

HX Stomp - my all in one box
variable impedance -> input level -> compressor -> EQ -> IR -> (EQ)

Sometimes the IR on a parallel path.
Reverb is set and ready but sometimes I use the one from the mixer. Then I just turn it off.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-27-2020, 03:07 PM

Deleted post
Old 11-27-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Let me use the analogy of my totally analog stereo system. The signal starts with a stylus riding in a groove, which is translated to an electronic signal by the cartridge. People spend a lot of time and money getting this right. If you don't like the sound coming off your cartridge, you spend a lot of effort trying to modify the signal so you do. If you do like this sound, you will want everything down the stream to reproduce this faithfully.

The cart is analogous to your pickup. Now take the much loved K&K. Reproduce this faithfully and you will have more mud in the low end than anyone would want, and probably too much high end, and a peak in the mids, so you need as much EQ as you can get.

So I have a decent cartridge I like the sound of, and a series of gain stages, the first to replicate the signal, and later gain stages to color the sound to please my ears. How is this accomplished? Buy choosing tubes and the basic design topography then speakers for the sound I want. Tone controls? EQ? I have none. The first tube in my pre does everything I want. Telefunken? A bit bright. Mullard, a bit warm. Amperex Bugle boy is just right.

For my guitars, I take the proper Dazzo pickup into the simple SunnAudio pre. Simple not describing the circuit, but the lack of all the unneeded bells and whistles. It takes a signal and reproduces it in a very linear fashion, without the peaks and valleys most consumer pres produce. Now when you get to Grace level design you are buying good gear, but I would not use most of the features it provides.

Now the Tonedexter take this I don't like the sound of the pickup, and replaces it with the mic sound, a very cleaver approach. So the need for a K&K is to make the tone usable and thus four bands of EQ, enough to compensate for the pickup and the gain stage in the pre. The RedEye is another linear gain stage product. The designer added a treble knob for marketing more than anything. When I talked to him, he called it the dead string knob. I am not saying that given the correct equipment like a Grace pre, you can't make a K&K sound good, you can. But the signal coming from my guitar is something needing no EQ. I don't use the EQ on my SunnAudio Stage DI except when I need to fatten up the tone of my cheap JJB equipped archtop. Then I crank the bass. But I wasn't willing to put the right Dazzos into a really cheap guitar. The simplification of my rig is rewarding.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification