The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Default pros acoustic setup?

wondering what the pros play through acoustically at their shows or concerts. lots of rig information on the electric stuff but what about acoustic? do they use amps at all or go into the pa through di boxes etc? Clapton, Neil young, Jackson Brown, whoever, you get the idea. acoustic set ups for the big time pros.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:15 AM

The very few "pros" I know (not legends..lol) go through their favorite DI box (many Baggs Venue users) into a mixing board for their acoustics...
Old 11-23-2020, 10:47 AM

Not really the ones you have mentioned, but you would be surprised by how many well-known pros choose reliability over quality of sound, while here of AGF you have many amplification nerds (myself included) still searching for the holy grail, high-fidelity sound..
Old 11-23-2020, 11:12 AM

As usual, the answer depends on audience size. Playing at the Grammys requires one set up while playing small bars requires a different one. If the artist has to haul around their sound system that will make a big difference in what they use. I gig a lot and have to haul my own stuff. So my setup is two Bose S1 Pro's on poles backed up with a Elite Acoustics amp for monitor and Elite Acoustice StompMix X6 for my mixer with great eq, effects, etc. This system works great for up to 100 people and is top notch in terms of quality of sound. With the Bose speakers and Elite Acoustics both operating without any cords (being battery powered) it makes set up and tear down quick and easy.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:54 AM

There's no one size fits all. If you want to see some, though, check out the Premiere Guitar Rig Rundowns. Most artists they feature play electric, or a combo of electric and acoustic, but here are a couple acoustic focused:

Tommy Emmanuel
Billy Strings (video)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:20 PM

I am assuming you mean pros as in high profile artists (just going by your list). If that's the case then I would say that the majority of them keep it simple and often rely on UST based systems. A lot don't even use the Aura technology to improve the tone. Most of these players don't experiment that much with pickups. The Amulet is probably the one boutique style pickup that is popping up a bit more lately. Here's just some that come to mind:

Clapton: Fishman Matrix into Avalon pre
Mayer: Fishman Matrix
Jackson Browne: Trance Amulet (often with an external mic)
Dave Matthews: Fishman Matrix (I believe he does use the Aura spectrum)
Neil Young: Trance Amulet
Paul Simon: Trance Amulet (used Fishman Matrix up until about two years ago)
Sherly Crowe: Amulet
Brad Paisley: Lr Baggs Anthem
Old 11-23-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Mayer: Fishman Matrix
Isn't John Mayer playing a Fishman gold plus? That's what is written on his signature Martin page...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Isn't John Mayer playing a Fishman gold plus? That's what is written on his signature Martin page...
That’s just a rebranded Fishman Matrix.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

When I saw Bela Fleck and Brian Sutton at Newport Folk fest, that both had small 19" racks with Pendulum SPS1 preamps. That was several years ago.

Richard Thompson plays his Lowden through a Sunrise pickup with Sunrise preamp.

James Taylor was using Fishman pickups and the Aura imaging preamp. Fishman created custom images for his Olson guitars.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
When I saw Bela Fleck and Brian Sutton at Newport Folk fest, that both had small 19" racks with Pendulum SPS1 preamps. That was several years ago.

Richard Thompson plays his Lowden through a Sunrise pickup with Sunrise preamp.

James Taylor was using Fishman pickups and the Aura imaging preamp. Fishman created custom images for his Olson guitars.
I believe James has been using the LB6 with the aura for years. I don’t remember hearing of him using the Fishman Matrix.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

The few pro setups I've been fortunate enough to check out were always just going through their preferred preamp/DI straight into the venue PA with either their own sound engineer running the board or the house guy.

Two off the top of my head were Ed Gerhard running through a Grace Design FEliX and Josh Ritter through two Radial JDI passive DI boxes (one for strumming and one for picking), an ABY box to select between the two and then a Boss TU-1 tuner. Here was his setup:

I remember once going up to a solo guitar singer/songwriter type that was on tour with a top name group and asking what his pickup system he used in his guitar and he looked at me blankly, then at the guitar, then back at me and said, "I don't know. Whatever came with it when I bought it." It was a Gibson, btw.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:09 PM

As of a year or so ago, Jason Isbell was using Martin guitars with Fishman UST with Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. I saw him on a rig runwdown and I think he had an Aura for each of his acoustics. I also think I read that he had Fishman make wave maps for his specific guitars.

Lyle Lovett used Sunrise pickups through a Demeter tube DI for many years, and may still be using them. I haven't seen him live in a long time.

I think Emmylou Harris is using Trance Amulets in her SJ Gibsons, now. I don't know what if anything she runs them through.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
As of a year or so ago, Jason Isbell was using Martin guitars with Fishman UST with Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. I saw him on a rig runwdown and I think he had an Aura for each of his acoustics. I also think I read that he had Fishman make wave maps for his specific guitars.

Lyle Lovett used Sunrise pickups through a Demeter tube DI for many years, and may still be using them. I haven't seen him live in a long time.

I think Emmylou Harris is using Trance Amulets in her SJ Gibsons, now. I don't know what if anything she runs them through.
What’s crazy about Isbell is that he has the blend at 100. Not sure how he makes that work.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
What’s crazy about Isbell is that he has the blend at 100. Not sure how he makes that work.
It sounds good. I've seen him live several times. It cuts through the mix.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

From where I sat, Tommy Emanuel ran his Matons through a tc polytune into an AER 60, then out to the house system. Pretty simple.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification