The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Humanist

Default Anders Sterner...classical guitar heaven.

Along with a couple of new steel-strings for me, I finally have news of a long-awaited guitar by my local friend/builder/player Anders Sterner.

A number of years ago Anders built a 604mm classical with cutaway for me, which has been a marvelous guitar. I have played on several of his 650mm scale guitars over the years, as well, including a cutaway instrument that he built for Matthew Greif of the LA Guitar Quartet. The Greif guitar was (is) massively great, and had me longing for a 650mm scale instrument...even when I knew I could not hope to play such a guitar.

BTW, Anders builds in a variety of bracing patterns, and so the Greif guitar is different from my guitar, which is also different from the Meisinger guitar, and again different from the Tutmark guitar (see below for videos).

With my return to normal scale length guitars, I knew Anders could indeed build a great 650mm scale guitar for me...the hard part would be the waiting!

A few weeks ago Anders completed his voicing of the guitar, which was done over a two week period with the guitar strung-up and being played on.

Anders is intonating/voicing specifically in DADGAD (although the guitar will work well in other tunings), and while he's never played in the tuning, he decided to try to create a little something that he could play repeatedly over time, to take the guitar through the voicing process.

When I say that Anders is truly a great player (as well as a world-class builder), you can hear what I mean by this:

This was videoed while the guitar was "in the white" (sans finish), and now I'm waiting for Anders to complete the french polish...the waiting is agony (in a good way).

I did not ask Anders to do a complete photo-documentation of the build, but I do have a few photos to share:

Anders makes his own traditional rosettes, but in what I call a super-high-resolution fashion, with 30,000pieces...!

Anders has actually only built a few guitars with cutaway, he normally is building strictly-traditional classical guitars, and as I mentioned, in a variety of trad. body styles, bracings, etc. A world-famous Polish conductor/guitarist by the name of Krzysztof Meisinger has one of these traditional instruments. Here is a video of Meisinger playing his Sterner:

A pro from Portland, OR, David Tutmark, also recently took possession of a traditional Sterner. Here is a simple "study" he just recorded (remember, it's a brand new guitar, as well):

...and lastly, a here's a video of the guitar owned by Matthew Greif:

This video is a bit dry, and does not fully represent the magnificently huge voice of the guitar, which I did play in person!

Right now Anders' website is under construction, undergoing renovations. He does have his contact info up, if anyone has any direct questions: https://www.sternerguitars.com/
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-18-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Lovely playing and wonderful sound to your guitar, Larry.

The rosette is amazing--I can't imagine the skill and patience to pull that off!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Larry...
Old 11-18-2020, 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Nemoman;6553443]Lovely playing and wonderful sound to your guitar, Larry.

Agreed- I thought what Sterner played was touching. Interesting too that the
difference of an instrument in-the-white can easily be heard, even in a video.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Lovely playing and wonderful sound to your guitar, Larry.

The rosette is amazing--I can't imagine the skill and patience to pull that off!

I know that the rosette creation is indeed a time-consuming and meticulous process for Anders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats Larry...
Yepper, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Agreed- I thought what Sterner played was touching. Interesting too that the
difference of an instrument in-the-white can easily be heard, even in a video.

Thanks, folks...on behalf of Anders, as well. He has never played in DADGAD, and it's definitely a testament to his personal musical talent and creativity to come up with this piece in just a few short days.

Anders says that the guitar should be just a bit darker and rounder on the trebles, and with the rest of the notes being more focused once the French polish finish is completed.

I'm looking forward to this, as you might imagine.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:51 PM

Larry, hi, my college buddy (Go IU!!). I'm interested to hear you're going back to a longer scale. What's up with that? Love you man. Tim
Old 11-18-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this very interesting post, Larry, and congrats on your new guitar. Does Anders have a website? I'd like to learn more.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:01 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Larry, hi, my college buddy (Go IU!!). I'm interested to hear you're going back to a longer scale. What's up with that? Love you man. Tim
Finally reached you by phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Thanks for this very interesting post, Larry, and congrats on your new guitar. Does Anders have a website? I'd like to learn more.
Thanks for this.

Anders' website is under construction, undergoing renovations. He does have his contact info up, if anyone has any direct questions: https://www.sternerguitars.com/

Old 11-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Humanist

One quick update, as Anders has been working on applying the finish...this is modern/world-class french polish work, folks!

Nice color and polish, eh?

Old 11-21-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Along with a couple of new steel-strings for me, I finally have news of a long-awaited guitar by my local friend/builder/player Anders Sterner.

A number of years ago Anders built a 604mm classical with cutaway for me, which has been a marvelous guitar. I have played on several of his 650mm scale guitars over the years, as well, including a cutaway instrument that he built for Matthew Greif of the LA Guitar Quartet. The Greif guitar was (is) massively great, and had me longing for a 650mm scale instrument...even when I knew I could not hope to play such a guitar.

BTW, Anders builds in a variety of bracing patterns, and so the Greif guitar is different from my guitar, which is also different from the Meisinger guitar, and again different from the Tutmark guitar (see below for videos).

With my return to normal scale length guitars, I knew Anders could indeed build a great 650mm scale guitar for me...the hard part would be the waiting!

A few weeks ago Anders completed his voicing of the guitar, which was done over a two week period with the guitar strung-up and being played on.

Anders is intonating/voicing specifically in DADGAD (although the guitar will work well in other tunings), and while he's never played in the tuning, he decided to try to create a little something that he could play repeatedly over time, to take the guitar through the voicing process.

When I say that Anders is truly a great player (as well as a world-class builder), you can hear what I mean by this:

This was videoed while the guitar was "in the white" (sans finish), and now I'm waiting for Anders to complete the french polish...the waiting is agony (in a good way).
OK, I just gad to bookmark it for a reference to the sound of the guitar and the playing. Something to aspire to.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Wonderful sounding classical guitar.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-22-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Wow! that guitar sounds amazing! Will be looking forward to hear what you do with it once it is done.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 11-22-2020, 12:18 PM
Humanist

Default Anders Sterner...classical guitar heaven.

Thanks for all of the attention and the kind words, folks.

Additional info that I was remiss in not including:

Top = Swiss Spruce
Back and sides = African Blackwood

Nut and bridge spacings are pretty much within normal classical parameters, approx 51.5mm and 57mm. I don’t have it here yet to give exact, hands-on numbers!

Fingerboard is also a standard flat classical guitar execution, as this guitar was designed not as a “crossover“, but as a straight ahead classical guitar but with a cutaway.

Thanks again...more to come...

Old 11-22-2020, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post

Anders' website is under construction, undergoing renovations. He does have his contact info up, if anyone has any direct questions: https://www.sternerguitars.com/
Thanks Larry. Reached out to Anders.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post

Go IU!

What a football year, im shocked, and delighted

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop