The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-12-2020, 09:39 AM

Default Which Crossover to Buy for Gypsy Jazz?

Hi,

I'm hoping there are some players on this list who have experience flat picking a nylon string guitar in the gypsy jazz style. I am primarily a fingerpicker and I have a wonderful classical guitar made by a local luther. I like the sound I get out of it when I flatpack it, but I don't want to scrape it and ding it playing gypsy jazz. I know that way back when, gypsy jazz guitars were strung with nylons not steel strings. I am looking for a moderately priced crossover guitar that will stand up to a Wegan pick and stay in tune. I've been looking at Cordoba fusion 14s. Because of COVID, I'd have to buy sight unseen, so I need a guitar with a consistent build quality, where one is much like another. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

LJS
Old 11-12-2020, 09:58 AM

The first thing you might consider is what scale length you want. That gypsy sound comes from low tension, long strings.
I recently played a nylon Godin that sounded great for gypsy.
I also bought a nylon Maccaferri from JWC guitars, d hole. Excellent guitar.
Nick
Old 11-12-2020, 01:38 PM

Maybe a flamenco model with golpeadores (tap plates) to protect the top?
Old 11-12-2020, 04:06 PM
Guest 928

LJ;

You might want to take a look at the Kremona Lulo Reinhardt Daimen
Old 11-13-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

No experience with these, but you might take a look:
https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/sag...lulo-reinhardt

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/altamira-m01d-nylon

I have a Dupont in the same configuration and it’s a fantastic instrument, although mine has a full classical width neck (which is no big deal to me). I see the nylon string Duponts come up from time to time, but not sure of your budget.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:54 PM
Guest 928

Stringmaster;

Nice suggestions. A few more options and we'll have LJ thoroughly confused. I suspect that puling the trigger on any of the suggestions will probably work out OK.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:05 PM
Guest 928

LJ;

You have posed an interesting question. I hope you stay in touch. How is the search going? Are you able to actually play any of the suggested instruments? Are you leaning in one direction or another? I hope you continue the dialogue.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:16 PM

Default Some More Information on nylon string gypsy jazz guitars

I surfed the web for nylon string gypsy jazz guitars, and sure enough, Michael at Django Books is selling a Gitane DG-560 Lulo Reinhardt Signature Nylon String based on the original Maccaferri classical guitar which morphed into the grande bouche gypsy jazz guitars we all know. The guitar has 12 frets to the body. And it has a cutaway. My classical guitar has 12 frets to the body and no cutaway, yet sounds twice as good as the Gitane nylon string. So, at least for now, what's available in a gypsy jazz nylon string does not entice me to buy. I will just have to be extra careful with my classical guitar. One good thing about my guitar is that my late friend and luthier, Hans Pukke, put a golpeador on it when he made the guitar. I mostly play finger style jazz on it, not classical, so it works well for me.
If anyone finds a really good nylon string gypsy jazzer, let me know. LJS
Old 11-17-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh112 View Post
Maybe a flamenco model with golpeadores (tap plates) to protect the top?
My vote is for a true flamenco guitar too but not just because of the tap plates but because they are built with the same philosophy, loud punchy guitars not built for sustain but for punchlines.

But I'm guessing the OP wants a cross over for the more narrow fingerboard. That would be tricky to find in a flamenco that is not custom built.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
gypsy jazz, nylon string