The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-23-2020, 07:19 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

THAT wood is really cool...the look, the story, everything about it!! Should make an awesome guitar for some lucky person. Can't wait to see who gets it, but based on what I've already read on this thread, it very well may find a home on the west coast

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 09-23-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 AM

A few years ago my son was helping a friend of his who digs out lakes for posh people. They unearthed a large piece of bog oak. It was left for a year or two to dry out (it cracks alot) and then cut up to make things. One thing he had made with it was a beautiful woodcraft knife. Handmade blade matched to this wood. So beautiful in fact that I admired it and he had one made for me too.
Eventually, it's odd how things happen, I fell in love with a particular Lowden guitar only to find that the back and sides were bog oak. Weird innit?
Nick

Last edited by nickv6; 09-23-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
THAT is really cool!! Should make an awesome guitar for some lucky person. Can't wait to see who gets it, but based on what I've already read on this thread, it very well may find a home on the west coast
It certainly might...
Old 09-23-2020, 12:52 PM

A couple of weeks ago I played a few new Lowdens in a shop. One was bog oak with a redwood top and it was very expensive and very dull sounding. Another hanging beside it was cocobolo and Adirondack spruce, a lot less expensive and a lot better sounding.
Just because it's thousands of years old doesn't mean it will make good guitars!
Old 09-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Smile Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
A couple of weeks ago I played a few new Lowdens in a shop. One was bog oak with a redwood top and it was very expensive and very dull sounding. Another hanging beside it was cocobolo and Adirondack spruce, a lot less expensive and a lot better sounding.
Just because it's thousands of years old doesn't mean it will make good guitars!
Maybe the Louden needed a few weeks on a Tone-Rite to get used to being a guitar???

If this doesn't sound real good when John is done with it I will be VERY SURPRISED.

It is interesting looking stuff for sure.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-23-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:

I would have thought that the cocobolo/adirondack would be way more expensive than the redwood/bog oak combo if all else was equal. I don't think that the bog oak is a very expensive upgrade?

I guess it depends on a number of factors. There is a thread somewhere in the Custom Shop list, probably on page 2 or 3 by now, on my Tom Sands Bog Oak guitar and several sound clips by Will McNicol and it is anything but dull sounding and it was only a couple of days old when he played it.

Last edited by Jeff Mc; 09-23-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

There is no way to accurately date bog oak ( no easy, inexpensive way, at least ) so it could have been buried for 50 years or 5,000 - its mostly color and marketing - its very pretty, but I’d imagine well seasoned non-bog oak would sound equally well, although it would have a far less interesting story and color -
Old 09-24-2020, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I would have thought that the cocobolo/adirondack would be way more expensive than the redwood/bog oak combo if all else was equal. I don't think that the bog oak is a very expensive.
The bog oak one was €2,000 more expensive!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I would have thought that the cocobolo/adirondack would be way more expensive than the redwood/bog oak combo if all else was equal. I don't think that the bog oak is a very expensive upgrade?

I guess it depends on a number of factors. There is a thread somewhere in the Custom Shop list, probably on page 2 or 3 by now, on my Tom Sands Bog Oak guitar and several sound clips by Will McNicol and it is anything but dull sounding and it was only a couple of days old when he played it.
Was about to comment about Tom's recent oak guitar. He told me it's one of his favorite sounding to date. And hearing from Will's capable hands, very alive and lyrical indeed.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
The bog oak one was €2,000 more expensive!
That seems excessive.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That seems excessive.
Exactly, it would be excessive even it it sounded better, which it most definitely didn't.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Exactly, it would be excessive even it it sounded better, which it most definitely didn't.
There are so many factors governing sound, back and sides being one of them of course but it would be difficult to say with certainty that the bog oak was responsible for the disappointing sound. One of my best sounding guitars was a little guy with a white oak body. I wont credit the oak for the sonic success, but I will say that the oak certainly did not get in the way.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
There are so many factors governing sound, back and sides being one of them of course but it would be difficult to say with certainty that the bog oak was responsible for the disappointing sound. One of my best sounding guitars was a little guy with a white oak body. I wont credit the oak for the sonic success, but I will say that the oak certainly did not get in the way.
I realise that, in fact I'm often arguing on this forum that the back and sides wood makes very little difference to the sound of a guitar. My point was that some manufacturers charge a huge premium for an unusual timber which may or may not sound good.
In this particular case, the cocobolo / Adirondack guitar sounded so much better and yet was €2000 cheaper, but you wouldn't know this unless you played the guitars in the shop. So many people ask online, what does this or that wood combination sound like and it's really impossible to answer that question with any degree of certainty.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:10 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Wow, that stuff looks sooooo beautiful. The fact that it's really old only adds to the fun.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:32 AM

Found this quite interesting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-19722595

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop