The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2020, 04:33 PM

Default T rex soulmate vs Boss ad10

I´m wondering if anyone has compared the soulmate with boss ad 10?
They both basically have all the features I would need. Both seem to have good eq and that´s the most important one. But I´m wondering which of them has the best reverb?
I don´t use chorus or delay on acoustic. As no one should..

How about the compressor? Any other opinions about them? Which do you prefer?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 06:03 PM

I don't own either one. However, I watched a lot of YT reviews when I was searching for a preamp/effects pedal. I think the T-Rex has the best sound based just on all the reviews I looked at. The Boss seems a little quacky compared to the T-Rex. I suppose a lot could have to do with the person doing the review and their playing style but I really liked the overall T-Rex sound quality.

I was ready to pull trigger on the T-Rex, but they were sold out everywhere I looked. (plus the are rather expensive) I ending up with the Zoom AC3. I like it ok, except it's missing a looper. The reverb is good. It does have some gimmicky features. For example, a "target guitar" selector knob, that actually makes little difference to the sound other than some eq tweaks, as far as I can tell.
Taylor GA3
Old 11-22-2020, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Haven’t any experience with the Boss, but I do love my T-Rex -
Old 11-23-2020, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

I would choose the T Rex but I would also strongly consider the Line 6 HX Stomp.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:51 AM

I’ve owned both and I much prefer the T-Rex. The Boss is a great unit also, I just prefer the effects on the soulmate and the layout of it.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-27-2020, 01:46 AM

Another +1 on the soulmate. Simple plug and play. No hidden menus, all dials and switches. I havent tried the Boss AD10, but tried the Boss VE8 for a week. Couldnt get the sound I wanted, so I returned it. Bought the T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic and havent looked back. Very professional piece of equipment.
T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic
Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-27-2020, 10:10 AM

I've never used the T-Rex unit, or any other of their products for that matter, but I do own an AD10 so I can only give half of an answer.

AD10 Pros:
2 guitar inputs
Great feedback control
Very good effects built in
3 types of Body Resonance (THIS is why I considered it in the first place)
Acceptable footprint size

AD10 Cons:
Included owners manual contains errors (luckily the online version was "fixed")
Menu system pretty clunky. (It works but takes some time to figure out)

With my guitars and the PA I plug into, the AD10 is just what I need. Whether or not it was intended to be so, it's become my "set it and forget it" kit.

As I hinted above, the Body Resonance setting was the primary reason I bought it and it has helped immeasurably in making my acoustic guitars sound more like acoustic guitars when plugged in so for me it really was a no-brainer.

I had to stretch a bit to afford it in the first place, so the additional $200+ of the T-Rex unit would have eliminated it from my search if I had even known it existed.

I hope this has helped,
PJ
Old 11-28-2020, 03:01 AM

have them both right now. The soulmate has the impedance switch , and the rest is missing. There is no on off switch, to start with. There is no master volume reachable (only a small knob in the back); ad10 has two. EQ in solumate can not be disabled , ad10 allows you to do it and its a hell of a feature.
Ad10 has got 2 inputs, and each input can go to its own output or mixed, and have its own eq or shared.
The anti feedback on soulmate is a joke. Anti feedback on ad10 is a masterpiece, and can be activated even with the foot. Reverb on ad10 is decent, on soulmate it is quite disappointing and no tone control.
Delay on soulmate is very basic, while ad10 is ok.
Chorus, same story.
Eq on soulmate is fully parametric on 3 bands (and cannot be disabled).
On ad10 you get 1 parametric control on mids, with Q! , lows, high, presence, and low cut filter fully configurable (a hell of a feature alone).
The acoustic resonance is decent, too, on ad10. There is no such thing on soulmate. This feature requires attention, depending on how good your guitar is you need only a pinch of it. It adds compression, which is not a bad thing. You dont need to use the comp feature aside, in this case.
and more and more to say.
Sound? When all effects are disabled both ad10 and soulmate sound identical.
Side by side, tested for 2 hours!

Oh, and ad10 has 10 memories. Two separate input gains, an expression input that can be assigned to be anything (volume, boost, notch, memory control etc).

If you dont need reverb, chorus and notch, go for soulmate, otherwise forget it.
my opinion of course.
Using with Taylor, Ovation and Godin.

Important: always check that resonance is disabled when testing. Resonance adds compression, can be disappointing, start using ad10 without resonance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification