The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Sakura (JP Cherry Blossom) Acoustic Guitar Top

Hello Acoustic Guitar Forum,
Been' lurking about for some time, this is my first post, and maybe my most ridiculous, so please go easy on me...

I have a beautiful piece of Japanese Sakura that's going to be sawed into boards for guitar tops. Electric drop tops; and yup, the thread title says it all...acoustic guitar tops.

From reading some of the previous posts, I know you all are quite knowledgeable about this stuff, but I was wondering how some of you might approach a project like this. Of course, Sakura tops are no where to be found for good reason - Sakura is hard and heavy and can be a pain to work with. The standard thickness (3mm or so) for a top isn't going to work.

I'm thinking of 1.5mm or 2.0mm thickness with carbon fibre bracings; and perhaps some fiberglass sheets applied with resin on the back of the top (if I go with a 1.5mm thickness). I don't think I will be able to avoid having the top a bit heavier than a standard spruce top, but I should be able to get things pretty close. I guess I really won't be able to tell until the wood is cut and I hear some tap tone, but I thought consulting the AGF folks would be a great place to get my thoughts in order before the work begins.

Why go through the trouble? Well, Sakura is the quintessential Japanese tree = wood, lumber, and I love the beautiful grain and color of the lumber. When finished naturally she darkens over the years with a magnificent hue...just thought a guitar top with that kind of characteristic would be kinda cool IF she sounded halfway decent. Sure would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-2016, 11:46 AM

It can be done, and does have some chance at sounding good. You'll have a better chance with a smaller guitar. You will need to figure how much stiffness the top will provide without bracing, and design the bracing for the remainder of the load. 1.5mm seems about right to me, if sakura is similar to rosewoods.
Bridge weight will also be important.
et al
Old 12-13-2016, 01:03 PM

You will at least have a guitar like sounding instrument.

Why not just use the cherry for the body wood? I would imagine that it would be necessary like moas woods in guitar making to be quarter sawn as well. But IDk what the expansion rate is of this wood.

If you want an all Japanese theme then you could consider using paulownia for the top. It's been done before and is a bonafide top wood.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
You will need to figure how much stiffness the top will provide without bracing, and design the bracing for the remainder of the load. 1.5mm seems about right to me, if sakura is similar to rosewoods. Bridge weight will also be important.
Thanks for the input redir and Rodger Knox.

Expansion rate (or dimensional change coefficient) for quarter sawn Sitka Spruce is .00148 while q/s Black Cherry (closest to Sakura...I think) is .00126. So, I think I'm not too far out of the ball park.

Planning on fabricating a bridge from a nice carbon fiber block to ensure stiffness and lightness. And bracing, yes. If I'm not careful, the finished product might have no bass resonance at all. Thanks for helping me think this through!
Old 12-14-2016, 02:30 AM

It will be great for backs and sides - I have built a couple of the Scott Antes parlor design with cherry and spruce and they sound pretty good. Not sure how it would do as a top, though. Maybe treat it like Koa?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:00 AM

Hardwood guitar tops are done all over the place....

The vast bulk of Harmony made guitars from 1940 through about 1975 were hardwood top... And they made more guitars than everyone else in the entire world put together. Then - most "laminate" tops are hardwood laminate (birch/mahogany/boxwood/miscellaneous) with a softwood veneer on the top for looks...

Check into all Koa, Mahogany, Maple, and Birch guitar designs.

You don't really brace them that much differently. I would stay away from fiberglass and composite construction - that stuff adds a tremendous amount of weight unless your process is extremely precise and advanced.... They sound a little different - but that's part of the fun.

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair