The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2003, 07:18 AM

Default Let's talk about pedals !!!

I'm getting a little bored talking about es so I thought it might be fun to talk about what if any pedals you use in your live rigs.

I admit right off I am and always have been a pedal guy. I have tried many of the processors available that do multiple pedal functions and save money while offering a miriad of tweaking possiblities. For some reason they all sound the same to me and hunting through curser pads while playing and singing is just one too many things for my little brain to do well so I have for some time now built my own pedal boxes and combos.

Well Roland has finally done something right. I used to use ther plastic formed pedal box and it was great for Boss pedals but as I started using more shapes it had to give way to the preverbial Velcro pedal holders and they were big fun to set up and fiddle with and worked ok in transit except the clothe bags always wear out and pedals get accidentially moved in transit from job to job.

Recently Roland (Boss) came out with t new pedal box and much to my surprise is very wonderfully versatile. I just bought two of them , one for electric guitars and one for my woody electrics.

They work fabulously and I am particularly proud of my Wood guitar version as it is so neat and simple and when I gig I just have to plug in one plug send the signal to the stage DI and Im good to go .

My acoustic rig consists of from right to left Ernie Ball Volume pedal , Boss Tu Tuner, Boss old DD3 delay, then finally into the Boss looper and on out from there to whatever, in my case Ultrasound twin fiftys and or my new Yamaha PA , or when live to the house system.

I am unusually contented with this system now because of the simplicity of it and the thoroughness of the design . They even provide all the high quality cables for a miriad of hook up possibilities.

Anyway what do you guys use in your amplified acoustic rigs and why?

Later

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 12-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Re: Let's talk about pedals !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stixx

Ummm . . .

A guitar cord.

Wireless at church sometimes though, so the "senior" choir members won't trip over a cord (wouldn't want to hurt my guitar you know).

I then go to my California Blonde and line out to house PA. Seems to work out pretty well - I get some control up front and the sound guys have it pretty well figured out. Don't need a monitor that way either.

I can see the point of having a volume pedal, but I generally stick with the straightforward & simple approach tonally I guess.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:28 AM

I use a Boss TU-2 tuner pedal and a Boss CH-1 Super Chorus sometimes.
60th Anniversary Fender Jazz Bass
Old 12-12-2003, 09:03 AM

I've got:

Boss TU-2 pedal
Boss Phaser
Boss Blues Driver (hardly use)
Rotovibe
Ernie Ball Wah
Boss Delay Pedal (DD-5)

I think that's it, I've got Reverb on my electric amp, and a total effects DSP on my acoustic amp.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 12-12-2003, 01:07 PM

I use two Boss TU-2 pedals (one for the electric rig, one for acoustic), an Ibanez Tube King (Japanese model), a Route 66 pedal, an Ibanez Soundtank Chorus pedal, and a Digitech Digiverb pedal.

I'm getting ready to retire the Tube King, I think, as it tends to only give me distortion as opposed to the overdrive I'm really looking for. I've swapped the tube out, but I think some of the other components may be starting to get weak. I'll probably end up with either a TS-9 or a V-Twin in its' place...

Steve
Old 12-12-2003, 04:13 PM

In my acoustic rig the only thing I use (If anything at all) is a wee bit a flange. And I do mean a wee bit. To much of a good thing will kill ya. I do this only on the 12 string makes the big sound bigger. Most of the time though I think people WAY over do effects. This seems particularly true in worship settings. I have seen (or should I say heard) times when there was so much chorus or flange on the guitar leading worship that the congregation could not find the key. And that is not a pretty thing.

ken
Yamaha SBG500
Old 12-12-2003, 08:16 PM

Ummm . . . a guitar cord

Trey, Funny.................

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 12-12-2003, 11:18 PM

Electric:
Jim Dunlop Wah
Ernie Ball volume
Tubescreamer
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Boss CE-5
Rack reverb (alesis Micro)

Acoustic:
Ernie Ball volume
Rack Reverb (alsis Mirco)

And of course both have to go through the tuners 1st!!

In Memories of:
2000 PRS Custom 22
2003 Taylor 414ce LTD L3
Old 12-13-2003, 08:09 AM

electric:
Boss ME50...it's the church's.

acoustic/personal:
1. Boss CS3
2. Boss PH3
3. Bespeco Volume pedal
4. Digitech DigiDelay
I also use a Danowah if I use my electrics; and I also have a Korg 411fx that's broken.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:38 AM

I run both my Electric and Acoustic into my Pedalboard, and then out to my Pod...

The Acoustic signal path is: 714CE -> Pedalboard -> Baggs ParaDI -> Peavey Q215f EQ -> Pod

The Electric signal path is: PRS -> Pedalboard -> Tube Screamer -> Peavey Q215f EQ -> Pod

Both the Acoustic and Electric are routed (via the Pod's Loop) back through the Boss Harmonizer and DD-5.

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS

Last edited by DickensDad; 12-13-2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:41 AM

fun thread..

taylor 2001 314-c3 ltd with the brand new Lace/PUTW NT3 system, set in parallel mode into a baggs padi. this feeds the house and a marshall as50r that feeds a jbl powered monitor.

for pedals I use: boss-tu2, snarling dogs whino wah, boss eq pedal (for lead boosts). the whino wah is a beast of a pedal..lots of dynamic range.

and in case anyone is wondering, this pickup system is the best I've heard, bar none. no batteries, completely passive and really does not need a preamp but I like to shape my tone with the baggs unit. dead quiet and sounds like my natural acoustic tone. I'm thinking of getting one of the new d-tar solstice boxes as well. http://www.d-tar.com/main.shtml

i'd like to run this onto the new fishman loudbox amp: http://www.samusic.com/amplification..._loudbox.shtml

man I love gear..
Old 12-13-2003, 09:44 AM

Hey Dickensdad, tell me about the Boss Harmonizer and the DD5..what do they do for your tone?

thanks..

that Peavey Q215f EQ is a beast of an eq...
Old 12-13-2003, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CDT
Hey Dickensdad, tell me about the Boss Harmonizer and the DD5..what do they do for your tone? thanks.. that Peavey Q215f EQ is a beast of an eq...
I have two of the Peavey Q215's -- I love 'em. Initially I was using them just in PA rigs, as they have the LEDs above each band that light up when feedback is lurking. Makes it easy to slam. I decided to use one of them in my rack to make it easy to tune to a new room without having to change everything else in the rig. I don't do much of anything with it on my electric side, but it does come in handy.

Having the Bos Harmonizer (I think it's an HR-2, if I remember correctly -- too lazy to drag my rear out back and look -- lol ) and the DD-5 Digital Delay in the Pod's loop is really useful. As I'm only ever playing one or the other geetar (acoustic or electric) both of them get passed through the HR-2 and the DD-5.

What's cool about the HR-2 is that is does plus and minus octaves, as well as 3rds 5ths, and so on. I generally just use the octave doubling. The DD-5 is the best Delay I've ever had. (I used the DM-2 before this, but like the DD-5 way better.) The DD-5 allows for a trigger input (I'm just using an old Yamaha keyboard Sustain Pedal (momentary open, I seem to recall) for the trigger. All I need to do is give the trigger four hits, and my delay is set to match what the rest of the band is playing -- need to adjust a little bit later, just four more hits. The way the Pod sets the delay trigger is very clumsy (I actually think it is unusable), which is why I stayed with the DD-5.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it's useful...

Old 12-13-2003, 05:07 PM

no problem..the more info the better I say

I am particularly interested in the harmonizer after your mentioning of the octaves. I tried the boss and danelectro octave pedals and had a problem when playing fast...the signal broke up....does the harmonizer work well when playing faster single note runs?

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by DickensDad
I have two of the Peavey Q215's -- I love 'em. Initially I was using them just in PA rigs, as they have the LEDs above each band that light up when feedback is lurking. Makes it easy to slam. I decided to use one of them in my rack to make it easy to tune to a new room without having to change everything else in the rig. I don't do much of anything with it on my electric side, but it does come in handy.

Having the Bos Harmonizer (I think it's an HR-2, if I remember correctly -- too lazy to drag my rear out back and look -- lol ) and the DD-5 Digital Delay in the Pod's loop is really useful. As I'm only ever playing one or the other geetar (acoustic or electric) both of them get passed through the HR-2 and the DD-5.

What's cool about the HR-2 is that is does plus and minus octaves, as well as 3rds 5ths, and so on. I generally just use the octave doubling. The DD-5 is the best Delay I've ever had. (I used the DM-2 before this, but like the DD-5 way better.) The DD-5 allows for a trigger input (I'm just using an old Yamaha keyboard Sustain Pedal (momentary open, I seem to recall) for the trigger. All I need to do is give the trigger four hits, and my delay is set to match what the rest of the band is playing -- need to adjust a little bit later, just four more hits. The way the Pod sets the delay trigger is very clumsy (I actually think it is unusable), which is why I stayed with the DD-5.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it's useful...
Old 12-13-2003, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CDT
I am particularly interested in the harmonizer after your mentioning of the octaves. I tried the boss and danelectro octave pedals and had a problem when playing fast...the signal broke up....does the harmonizer work well when playing faster single note runs?
I've not experienced any breakup of the signal during faster runs. I tried (borrowed) other units, but for the $$ this one does more of what I want.
The Hr-2 allows two manipulations, so you can, for exa,ple, have both an ovtave down, and one up (or just one either way). Using any of the harmony voicings is a bit trickier -- you have to tell it what key you're playing in. My buddy John has one of the 'intelligent' harmonizers. Nice, but big bucks. I only use the harmony thing every once in a while, like I mentioned earlier, mostly the octave stuff. Works great for me. They can be had on the Bay for $75-100...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification