The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Question about Guilds

I know this is the TGF, but... I hear a lot of other manufacturers mentioned here--Larrivee, Breedlove, Martin, etc. You'll even hear talk about Takamines and Ovations from time to time. But I've never heard people talk about Guilds, although some of you list them in your sigs.

If you're familiar, where do you think they rate? I'll throw out the D55, which has rosewood back and sides and is in the same ballpark as a Taylor 810. Does this model compare to similarly priced Martins? Gibsons? And have they fallen off since being bought out by Fender?

Last edited by JackLeggedDawg; 12-19-2003 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:55 PM

We talk about Taylors in this thread catagory other brands we talk about in the one called Now Hear This . Not that I care but rules is rules. As for Guilds now that Fender owns them they should improve and from what I have seen in the ultra high end department they are nice. They are like Gibsons , though they are over built (read heavey) and they play stiff. I have a friend with a D 55 and he cant for the life of him get the buzz out of it . Other than that the only thing I know about Guilds is the George Strait plays one . LOL

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 12-19-2003, 07:21 PM

I own two Guilds. My DC-5E is a laminated rosewood, sunburst. Can't hang with my Taylors unplugged, but rocks plugged in. Usually tuned one step down. I just got a Starfire III off of ebay. Good price, still working to get it set up right. Well built hollowbody for the price. Played one of the 50th Anniversary D-55s, with Brazilian rosewood/sitka. Very nice. Shopped hard for some Guilds earlier, particulary 12 strings. Found several with finish cracks, more cracked than not. Don't know if that was a function of poor dealer/shipping handling or what, but ended up with a Taylor 12er.

Play every Guild I see when I go to the stores in my area. The jumbos, JF-30, F-50 and F-50R just didn't cut it. The D-55s were good, similar to the Martin D-28 line.

Think they are just getting their act together after the move to California. The infusion of Fender cash and factory upgrade from Rhode Island can't hurt. Seem to be hard to find any sort of selection around here. They may be working themselves back after the move.

FNG

My Guitars:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

04 Larrive J-09 Maple
04 Larrivee JV-05-12
04 Larrivee D-50
06 Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
97 Guild DV-72
97 Guild DV-73
97 Guild Deco Custom Shop
91 Guild Nightbird CU
94 Guild GV-52
06 National Vintage Steel Tricone

Last edited by FNG; 12-19-2003 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:30 PM

The move to California was a good thing IMO, as the later RI models had some quality issues. Nothing major, just enough to keep me from taking them too seriously for the price. I do love the Guild tone, though. I've also had some issues with the neck profile on them... most of the ones I have tried are a bit too "baseball bat" like for my tastes. Just personal preference on that, though.

If I found one that I liked, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Like I said, love the tone, just haven't found one I enjoyed playing enough to take it home.

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 12-19-2003, 10:23 PM

I played a D-55 from the Corona plant several months ago and was sorely tempted to buy it. Unlike older Guilds, this one didn't weigh a ton, and it had a rich, lively and robust tone that a dread should have. I didn't compare it directly to any others, but I was very impressed, and that's something I haven't felt compelled to say about Guild steel-strings in a long time.

I believe Carolina410 is correct about quality issues in the Westerly plant. It was a very old building, having housed a furniture factory for many years before Guild moved in. Some people wrung their hands because few of the employees made the move to California, but from all accounts, Fender spared no expense on the new facility, and had some of the people from their Nashville custom shop set it up.

Whether you like a particular guitar is something only you can answer, but if a Corona Guild speaks to you, I wouldn't hesitate unless the price is ridiculous. You can tell where it's made by by looking at the back of the headstock; if it's from Corona, you'll find a small decal containing the Fender logo and "Corona, CA."

BTW, Fender has owned Guild since 1995, and probably saved it from extinction.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:57 AM

For the last six months or so my DV-52 is the guitar that stays out in the home studio and my main instrument for songwriting and recording. It has really come into it's own lately and though it's not as bright or loud as some other guitars I have, it's perfect for the job. Jim Foote at Music Works did a great set up on it about a year and a half ago and it keeps getting better.

Over the years I've had two D-25's, an X-175 Manhatten, a C100 Capri, and presently have two others; a '69 Mark II classical and a '70 D-50 R special (Brazilian).

I don't know much about the new Corona Guilds but they look to be a good value and if you find one that sounds good out of the gate, then it should be a keeper.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:10 AM

I have played 3 of the newer Fender/Corona plant D-55's and they are a great improvement over the R.I. D-55's imo. They are beautiful looking and sound great and as mentioned they are much lighter weight wise. They are a great but too. I cant believe how cheap you can get one on ebay.

Jim(I'm a Happy & Lucky Man)Burns
http://www.withoutwheels.org/Profiles/jburns/index.html
Old 12-20-2003, 11:55 AM

I never cared much for Guild dreds but their high-end 12-strings (think early John Denver) are really fine. And that's right. . . .you can get Guilds REALLY cheap on ebay. I've got a '98 F30 (Westerly-made) that generated a few bids but missed my asking price by a long shot before I ended the auction. No point in giving it away. (The F30 is a small-boddied, 000 sized guitar with a fast neck.)
Old 12-20-2003, 03:48 PM

Thumbs up

As you can see below, I have and highly recommend the Guild D-55. It sounds great, feels great, and looks great. It is a 2002 Corona Guild and is one fine guitar!
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 12-21-2003, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Burns
They are a great but too. I cant believe how cheap you can get one on ebay.
Who has a great butt??

I know, you meant great buy. sorry. I am childish!
Old 12-21-2003, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whiskeyjack
I never cared much for Guild dreds but their high-end 12-strings (think early John Denver) are really fine. And that's right. . . .you can get Guilds REALLY cheap on ebay. I've got a '98 F30 (Westerly-made) that generated a few bids but missed my asking price by a long shot before I ended the auction. No point in giving it away. (The F30 is a small-boddied, 000 sized guitar with a fast neck.)
Thank God for this thread!

I was going to mention the Guild F-612 12 String. There were very few, one being John Denver's and another owned by a guy I knew, Duncan Tuck. So I did a search and came up with this:

"Carlo Greco was the General Foreman of the Guild Guitar Company from 1959 until 1977--eighteen and a half years that coincided with the flourishing of many music artists' careers. A number of artists had special guitars made for them by Carlo Greco while he was in charge of the production floor.
Smothers Brothers brother Tommy Smothers is still playing the Guild flattop that Carlo made for him.
Greco also made John Denver's famous Guild F-612 12-string guitar (with an 18" body). Other guitars were crafted for Jerry Garcia, Mark Knopfler, and many more over the years."

Now I know who made my Jerry Garcia F-50 special.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:24 PM

JohnZ, can you post a pic of the Garcia F-50, that would be fun to see. Is it maple or a rosewood model?

FNG

My Guitars:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

04 Larrive J-09 Maple
04 Larrivee JV-05-12
04 Larrivee D-50
06 Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
97 Guild DV-72
97 Guild DV-73
97 Guild Deco Custom Shop
91 Guild Nightbird CU
94 Guild GV-52
06 National Vintage Steel Tricone
Old 12-21-2003, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FNG
JohnZ, can you post a pic of the Garcia F-50, that would be fun to see. Is it maple or a rosewood model?
Sure, if somebody would tell me how.

It's a Brazilian rosewood F-50 with an Artist Award neck, very thin and fast. It's got the 'V' inserts on the fingerboard inlay and that is carried over to the peghead with rosewood instead of any logo. Double pickguard with less ornate binding than a 612. Guild made five of them as far as I can tell.

Dan Murphy and I came across it in Denver in '75, maybe '74, he had the money and I didn't. We played a bluegrass festival at Cal State Long Beach that year where the 'Great American Music Band' played their second and last performance. Garcia played banjo. Though he was deep in banjo thought at the time he verified the guitar. I don't know why there were five.

Around '98 I got it by paying off a guy who took it as collateral to get Dan's motor home out of impound. Better it went to me than the open market. I had the pickup removed, a new saddle, and set up with low action for home/recording use. It's been played hard so condition has effected it's value.....doesn't matter though, I've no intention of getting rid of it. I may have it refinished.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:10 AM

That is so great !!! Thanks JohnZ. It's wonderful to be able to connect the roots of a beloved instrument.
I also have a Corona D-55, and find it to be one of my favorite guitars. I love the tone.. For me, it is a bit more ground in tone, than my Taylor dreds...
I know NFP has one too, and he really likes his.
Don
Old 12-22-2003, 08:49 AM

My JF30-12 12 string has a unique ring that no other 12 string I own has. My wife loves the bookmatched maple back and sides even if they are laminated. I had a Fishman Natural pickup installed in the mid 90's and it sounds as excellent plugged in.

My wifes F20-NT is a different style guitar altogether. Not quite as small as a parlor but not as big as a GC. Perfect for sitting in an easy chair and playing. It has a very bright sound as you would suspect from a smaller body guitar with a solid spruce top and one of the few in our collection that is not on the selling block.

I have always been impressed with the sound Guild could get out of laminated guitars. The "roundback" design seems to help project the sound. I think they are an excellent value at thier price point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification