The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Default Another NGD! Martin D-18 from Acoustic Vibes

First off, definitely NFI, but I have to give a good shout out to the folks at Acoustic Vibes for one of the best experiences I've ever had buying ANY instrument, let alone this awesome D-18. It was the first time I had bought from them and it was just a whole bunch of fun. (I'll post pics down below)

That aside, now to the most important part; selecting a guitar. I was in the market for a dreadnaught. I had been doing my homework online, as well as getting my hands on as many as I could. I have also played quite a few of them over the years. So, I had a pretty good idea what I was going to be taking home with me one of these days; A D-28, or reasonable facsimile thereof. Rosewood B&S's and some kind of spruce top. Surprise!

I went to the shop a couple of times. I spent a good amount of time with about 9, or 10 dreads of various makers, woods, and price levels. My budget kept some of the higher fliers out of the equation and that made things a touch easier.

Like I said, I spent a good amout of time with them all and eventually whittled it down to 3; a Collings D2H, Martin D-28, and the eventual winner the D-18. I don't know, maybe it's the new "agressive" top bracing that made the rosewood guitars too modern sounding, or, geez, I dunno. All I can say is the D-18 just sounded nice & homey. It felt like I imagine a good ol' dread should sound like.

From past experience, I remember D-18's being really bright, with real stacatto-like tone. This one went against that and I guess it's because of a new style of bracing they are building them with now. The forward placement warms the box up a bit. It really warmed it up enough to my liking. Well, I guess that was part of it. All I know is, the guitar had me!

The D-18 is cheaper, money-wise, but that wasn't an issue. I had already budgeted for the more expensive guitar. Even after I had decided to take the 18, it was in it's case in another room ready to go home, and I made one more quick trip back to play those two rosewood boxes. Just to make sure. They sounded flippin' awesome and I started to get cold-feet on the D-18 and then I went and grabbed it again... It took about 10 seconds of playing it and I was reminded I was making the right choice. I was really, really surprised I was going home with an 18.

Getting to play all the models I did was a dream. All 9, or 10 of them I played are going to make 9, or 10 folks very happy some day.

I hope they'll be as happy as I am with my new D-18!

Here are a few pics I took while roaming around trying to make my mind up;

This is the main showroom. It's only one of four rooms filled to the gills with ACOUSTIC instruments:

This is, far and away, the most Lowdens' I have ever seen in the same vicinity: (and I played them all! )

...and, for the mandolin fans, like me! I almost took that mandocello over there on the right home with me!

Banjos, anyone?

...and, for my own personal preference, I save the best for last! I know this isn't true for all of you, but humor me. The Martins (this isn't all of them, but it was the widest shot my phone camera would take):

Enough eye candy!

In my experience, there are only a handful of stores in the Country with this kind of inventory; Buffalo Brothers, Dream Guitars, Elderly, just name a few. AV is in those ranks. I want to visit them all!

My thanks to Jeff, Kathryn, and Bernie for a great experience.

If any of you are ever in the Tempe area, make sure to schedule a stop. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for letting me babble-on!

Last edited by GerryinAZ; 08-20-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Illiteracy! Fixing grammatical errors.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Congrats Gerry, Martin D-18 is hard to beat. I too am a Phoenix resident and enjoy visiting Acoustic Vibes, incredible selection and Jeff is a good guy.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM

Nice read and congrats on a standard! The Martin "standards" don't get as much attention since they started moving/shaving braces but they'll always have fan base. I had a similar shopping experience last November. I tried all the Martins and Taylors and came home with 000-18 'standard' and like you, I could have spent a lot more but wouldn't have been any happier.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 PM

What fantastic pics! Congrats on the D-18. Is it a 2012/2013 model or earlier?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Great Choice!

I just got a D-18 this Saturday, and my situation was very similar. I was about to pull-the-trigger on either an HD-28 or a Gibson J-35, but the D-18 really covers-the-bases for me. Piano clarity in my hands!

Not having much experience in acoustics, I tried just about everything I could afford (and many I couldn't) before narrowing my choices.

I'd have to say the shop also helped make my choice. I felt the product was quality, and the knowledge of the shop toward Martin product was influential.

I'd love to hear more sonic impressions!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 PM

That couch in the middle of the room is such a great idea. Every acoustic showroom should have one. Congrats on the new guitar. And boy-ohboy all those Lowdens!!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Gerry,

Congratulations! The D-18 is an awesome choice! Good for you! And great photos!

- Glenn
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 PM

Gerry--Congrats and good on you for keeping an open mind so that you could take home the perfect guitar for you!

Were there any other Hog contenders in the group? How did you like the Lowdens?

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 AM

Congratulations on a wonderful well known classic. One day I will have one as well. Enjoy it!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 AM

great pick man. I'm jealous of the selection of that guitar store... sheesh. I'd spend all day in there.

I love 'hog back/sides, and I love Martins, so I think you made the BEST choice

enjoy that guitar won't let you down!

2013 Martin Custom OM-18

2012 Martin 0-28vs
2012 Martin LX1
2012 Telecaster Ltd. Edition Ash Body
2003-ish Takamine Jasmine (first guitar I ever played/learned on)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 AM

Thanks Everybody! It really is a joy to have this great guitar sitting in my music room waiting for me to play it! It sounds better and better as I learn it's characteristics. It sure does project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What fantastic pics! Congrats on the D-18. Is it a 2012/2013 model or earlier?
Thanks, Dru. This one's a 2013 model, but it has all the design changes they implemented in 2012. I am especially liking the tapered-down neck.

Quote:
I'd love to hear more sonic impressions!
It just keeps getting better and better with each sit down. I am finding out where I can and can't go with it. About the only thing it doesn't seem to excel at is DADGAD tuning. That's okay though. That's not the style of music I bought it for. I was just testing the waters.

Quote:
Congrats on the new guitar. And boy-ohboy all those Lowdens!!
Thanks! And, yes, those Lowdens... I made a comment somewhere, on another forum I think, to me, Lowden builds a different beast that isn't for the faint-hearted. They are just a different animal. The mix of the big-box made of the not-so-usual, exotic wood combos' makes for a guitar that really challenges the player to go outside of the box. That's my take on them, anyway. They sure are special instruments.

Quote:
Were there any other Hog contenders in the group? How did you like the Lowdens?
I believe one of the dreads I tried with Hog B&S was a Breedlove. It was nice, but I wasn't as comfortable with the neck and string spacing as I'd like to be with it. Otherwise, it sounded great.

See my comments on the Lowden up above. They really are something else!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 AM

Cool NGD...a Martin D-18

WOW!!! Congrats on your new guitar, great choice!

I would be seriously intimidated walking into a store like that! Because they would have me at "Hello!" I don't think I'd be able to leave empty-handed, as they would have the inventory to provide me with anything I would be looking for.

Just out of curiosity...do they have any room reserved for used guitars? If they do, that would be 'double trouble' for me! I might leave with 2 or 3 guitars, and possibly a banjo, too!!!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
WOW!!! Congrats on your new guitar, great choice!

I would be seriously intimidated walking into a store like that! Because they would have me at "Hello!" I don't think I'd be able to leave empty-handed, as they would have the inventory to provide me with anything I would be looking for.

Just out of curiosity...do they have any room reserved for used guitars? If they do, that would be 'double trouble' for me! I might leave with 2 or 3 guitars, and possibly a banjo, too!!!

Glen
Hi Glen,

Yes, they do have a used inventory. In fact, the D2H I tried was used.

It's a very comfortable atmosphere. You can sit on the couch in the main showroom, or each room has nice 'pickin' chairs and stands to sit and try out the instruments.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Here is Jeff Looker in his pristine shop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQAlC...ature=youtu.be

I must say, though, that Jeff has taken every last penny I had and forced me to buy wonderful guitars, especially more Goodalls than any sane person could need.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 PM

Congrats on the new guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion