The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
I have owned a Marshall AS50R and like it. What is the difference in an
AS50D?
The AS50D has digital effects, phantom power and I believe it has a soft tweeter versus the hard plastic type on the AS50R.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Default for what its worth

i'm not a good guitar player but i use 2 acoustic amps at home. i have the marshall as50d that i use tor my Taylor k10ce( with ES) and a Roland AC60 that seems to sound better with my Ovations and Adamas guitars.
i'll probably never gig out( way too many fingers broken over the years) but, the Marshall sounds a lot better on my Taylor. almost sold the taylor until i tried it thru a friends as50d and had to get one myself.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM

Best advice is to take your guitar down to music stores and find the one that sounds best to you.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Maybe I come over here with my thread:
Amp for Taylor NS72

I`m looking for an amp for my nylon Taylor.
Fishman Loudbox?

Does an amp give / change charakter of the guitar?
I´m a hughe Jason Mraz fan, he plays Fender Twin or Deluxe amps - far away from my budget and abilities. I´m not gigging, I will use it at home, mostly at low volume. He also has Fender Junior acoustasonic DSP, which brought me to think about buying a Fender acoustasonic.
I would love to get the Mraz sound out of my nylon.

As you see I´m totally new in amplifying, so be tolerant if my questions may are stupid. ;-)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstsign View Post
Does an amp give / change charakter of the guitar?
Ideally, for an electric guitar an amp should contribute to the tone. For an acoustic guitar, however, the amp should be neutral and neither add nor subtract from the signal from the guitar.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM

I purchased the Fishman Loudbox Artist over the past weekend for my Taylor 814...I couldn't be happier with my choice..Has a separate volume control for my Ipad/Ipod for backing tracks...Sorry I waiting soo long...(Of course the 15% Coupon helped from GC !!)
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 PM

I am not surprised to read the comments about the Roland AC60! I bought one a few years back,after trying this exaustively side by side with an AER Club 60! The difference in sound between these two was hardly notisable IMHO, yet the AC60,cost (almost) only half the price of the AER!

What really surprised me was the mic ch. I've never heard such a transparent vocals on any other compact guitar amps & would definitely give good a run for the money to any mid priced mixer,period! The digital reverb too is very good! It also has more or less all the connections similar to the AER. Perhaps,Roland must have had an AER on the bench while designing the AC60...as it almost looks & sounds very (suspiciously) similar to the AER!

I also completely agree with the comment that an acoustic amp should sound neutral & transparent..with no coloraton what so ever, hence ac.amps with valves would just defeat the whole purpose!

Last edited by Acoustic addict; 09-07-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM

I think you mentioned in the original post that you might want to play an electric guitar, keyboard, and use a mic, as well as your acoustic guitar. I use an older Peavey keyboard amp, and all these can be used through it. These can be found used for a reasonable price. Other brands of keyboard amps are probably as versatile. Try some out.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Default Genz Benz

I love my Genz Benz Shenandoah LT80. I did a lot of comparisons buy liked the sound & features at a decent price. Good luck!
Huss & Dalton DS Custom
2002 Fender TelecasterWhite/Ash/Rosewood board.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
2016 Collings Statesman LC
Rivera Clubster 25 LTD EVM (1 of 10 made)
Carvin Acoustic Amp 250W
Home built hand wired 25Wx12" StewMac Amp
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Default Acoustic amps.

For me, I own an older SWR California Blond that I love. I sold this amp once and them bought it back later. I did buy a Roland AC90 and was completly dissapointed. It had no bottom end at volume and had a farty sound. I promtly sold it at a loss. I have also had a Roland AC100 that was a nice amp and also used to play through a Roland JC120 that sounded great. I like to sound as natural as I can and I can't get that sound if I don't have a good bottom end. I love my Radial Tone Bone PZ Pre amp also. If you haven't tried one your missing out on a great pre amp in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Default Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase

I'm surprised there's not more buzz about this show on the forum:
http://www.woodstockinvitational.com/

It's in Woodstock, NY, the last week of October and there'll be a bunch of amazing guitars and performers there (yes . . . and several amps
If you're in the area and would like to try out an amp, stop by at the show - or you can email/call me to set up a meeting.
Best

[email protected]
612-770-5012

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM

I'll add my 2 1/2 cents to this thread. I got the Fishman Loudbox Artist about two months ago and so far I've been pleased with it. I tried out the Marshall and Fender, but kept coming back to the Fishman. I would have tried the Roland amps, but I'm a little biased against Roland at this point simply because I've had so many Roland/Boss products (5 keyboards, effect pedals and processors, and records) so I'm a little tired of the Roland sound. If that makes sense. The Fishman for me is a good amp for the price range. I was leaning towards the Loudbox Mini, but it just didn't have enough lowend for me.

Joe
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Default Ziricote (2nd one)

I don't get asked for these very often - ziricote is very expensive lumber - but it sure looks nice. I'm told the rough translation of 'ziricote' is 'go sharpen your tools, again'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification