The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2003, 10:29 AM

Thumbs down Martin guitars

Played a few over my spring break.
Man do they suck. I tried a d28, om42, and a "grail" d45.
None compare to my low end taylor 314ce.

Advice for martin owners, sell them!!

Iceman
Old 04-22-2003, 10:37 AM

I dunno, I recently played a D-41 that didn't sound bad at all. In fact it was a tough choice between my 914c and the D-41 when I bought the 914c... I think it depends greatly on your playing style. I generally think Martin make some really cool dreads, I'm not too fond of their jombo's on the other hand...
Old 04-22-2003, 10:38 AM

I really liked the Martin D28, but it was the first solid wood guitar I'd ever played. I played a Guild right after, and it blew the Martin out of the water. It's weird, 'cause Martin owners pride themselves on the depth of their guitars, and I like deep, low guitars, but the Martins were super-thin and had no depth at all. My Tacoma DR20 is the deepest, richest guitar I've ever played, if you can get over the crappy customer service.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:54 AM

i've tried very hard to like martins- i love that deep, thick bassy tone i've heard from recordings of martins, but the ones i've played have been really inconsistent. i've played some hd28's that sounded like laminated tops, they were so muddy. felt like you were playing with your palm on the soundboard. on the other hand, i played one OOOC-16RGTE (a low end, priced the same as a 314ce) that blew me away- rich low end, nice thick complex mids, and clear bell-like highs. but then the OOOC-16GTE right next too it sounded awful. again, i found one D-16RGT that sounded *almost* better than my larrivee (thumping low end, sparkling highs) but the 4 exact same models sitting on the same wall sounded like $200 yamahas.

unfortunately, i've never found any of the good sounding martins while i was in guitar-buying mode- only when i'm saving money do i come across a good martin. and they're never the ones you expect (not the high end ones).
Old 04-22-2003, 10:57 AM

I've been consistently disappointed with the ones I play in shops, my dad has one he likes but it's an electric hollow-body and I've heard older ones are nicer, but I just think they're hard to play if loud
Old 04-22-2003, 11:06 AM

Aren't ears amazing things? Iceman, I have a 314ce and an HD-28. The 314ce has the advantage of the cutaway and is supposed to be much more playable, but even though it owned my heart for a year, it gets almost zero playing time because the HD-28 sounds so much richer and fuller to me (and I do love the rumble of the bass).

I assume a lot of the tonal difference is the rosewood versus the sapele (near mahogany?). I know many in the Martin camp have pretty strong preferences for either rosewood or mahogany. Has anybody who loves the D-18 series compared them to the sapele Taylors? People often say mahogany is better for flatpicking BECAUSE it isn't as rich sonically, but is more focused. Is sapele the same way?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:37 AM

Isn't it funny that just last week there was a posting complaining of Taylor bashing at the Martin forum?

And now this?!?!

Beauty is in the EAR of the beholder... I've heard some unbelievable Martins and I've heard some drop dead wonderful Taylors.

Moral of the story: to each his/her own!

I'd love to have a Martin D-28 to go w/ my Taylor 414!
'96 Yamaha FG-401(travel guitar!)
Old 04-22-2003, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toga
Isn't it funny that just last week there was a posting complaining of Taylor bashing at the Martin forum?

And now this?!?!

Beauty is in the EAR of the beholder... I've heard some unbelievable Martins and I've heard some drop dead wonderful Taylors.

I think a lot of people here agree with you. Many would love to have a Martin to accompany their Taylor(s). I personally don't have either. I don't think it's "Martin-bashing" to say that I don't like Martins. Like you said, to each his own. I'm allowed to not like Martins as much, and to post that.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:00 PM

Martin has only recently started shippiing guitars with coated strings. Thier regular strings are often dead from handling.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:02 PM

I just played a brand new Martin HD28 and HD35, and I would kill for either(well, maybe not kill). Beautiful tone, and very even volume from the lowest E to the Highest E on the fretboard. Awesome craftsmanship, which I expect from any guitar in that price range. I've got a Taylor 355 12 string and would love a Taylor 6 string, but I think I'll also keep my Martin D1, thank you.
P.S. I need an icon of a face biting his tongue!
Old 04-22-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GRW3
Martin has only recently started shippiing guitars with coated strings. Thier regular strings are often dead from handling.
I agree.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:18 PM

I have a HD28 in koa. Funny thing is, I sold my Taylor not long after getting the Martin. To each his own.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toga

And now this?!?!

Come one Toga.
I don't think my statements were "bashing."
Old 04-22-2003, 12:26 PM

I played a D-41, or maybe it was a D-42, a couple months ago and it was one of the nicest guitars I've ever played. Beautiful tone, big volume, beautiful workmanship and very easy to play. The action was very low and still clean, not like a lot of Martins I've played. I would've bought that guitar in a hot second if I wasn't concerned about remaining married.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:31 PM

Love my old D-18, and I have my eye (ear) on a D-35. Their dreads are great....when they're great.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification