The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Right On PlayHard!

Aloha,

Hey, I'm 6'5" with metal knees and I still hoist those Daed's up on posts at my gigs, though not as easily these days. But I'm used to it and am not playing gigs as much as even last year, only two-three a month as opposed to six-nights a week . The schlepping of equipment never gets easier - especially after the gig. But it's part of the deal. I like that: play for free, schlepp for $200. That's cool.

I can remember in the early 70's, schlepping those humongous black thick- padded Kustom speakers up and down stairs at 3AM out to the van, higher than a kite! Even then guys, I had to have two speaker sources.

I guess we all pay our dues with amplification equipment. I mean, look what happened to Clarence White when he was loading his van, post gig!

PlayHard, I enjoyed your stream-of-consciousness run down of the PA's you've used. I also agree with your conclusions.

Wouldn't it be something if each of us could line up all the PA's we've ever used here and take pictures. I bet the lineup would stretch all the way from LA out here to the Islands and then some. I can't remember even 10% of what I played through.

But in terms of guitars? I'm more loyal than most. Kind of like classical players who stick with one guitar for decades. I've been gigging with the same three self-made Koa guitars for over 30 years now. I'm making three more now for myself.

Regarding Koa Daeds? Yeah, I sell koa for a living. So I supplied Lou with the Koa for my W803 cabs. They sparkle. Sure love the sound. I tend to play through them more and more now even when I'm just playing at home.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Default I Sure Would Like To HEAR Em!

I have one whole gig with the Pendulum SPS-1 under my belt now, and I already KNOW it is as fabulous as all of you have said it was (and I'm "only" using it as a two-guitar "mixer", not as a stereo multi-source blend - the "better way"!).

I really love the guitar tone of my Fishman SoloAmp, and because of that and its portability I know I would not trade it (for the new Bose Compact OR the Daedalus speakers). Simply, the Bose won't sound as good, certainly not "lots better" (I predict), and there's no way I will or can haul around two or three heavy speakers, and their stands, and add a power amp - just not going to happen. Plus - I'm TIRED OF and DONE WITH my several year quest for perfect equipment - what I have now is good enough for me! It really is. I'm ready to spend 100% of my limited music time on what's important to me - MUSIC and PEOPLE - the songs I play and want to learn and write, and the good friends I play my music WITH and the good people I sing it FOR.

BUT... having said all that, and meaning every word of it...

I sure would like to HEAR a pair of Daedalus!

Best to all you good fellas!
Mike

Last edited by MikeTX; 04-15-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: misspelled the speaker name...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
I have one whole gig with the Pendulum SPS-1 under my belt now, and I already KNOW it is as fabulous as all of you have said it was (and I'm "only" using it as a two-guitar "mixer", not as a stereo multi-source blend - the "better way"!).

I really love the guitar tone of my Fishman SoloAmp, and because of that and its portability I know I would not trade it (for the new Bose Compact OR the Daedalus speakers). Simply, the Bose won't sound as good, certainly not "lots better" (I predict), and there's no way I will or can haul around two or three heavy speakers, and their stands, and add a power amp - just not going to happen. Plus - I'm TIRED OF and DONE WITH my several year quest for perfect equipment - what I have now is good enough for me! It really is. I'm ready to spend 100% of my limited music time on what's important to me - MUSIC and PEOPLE - the songs I play and want to learn and write, and the good friends I play my music WITH and the good people I sing it FOR.

BUT... having said all that, and meaning every word of it...

I sure would like to HEAR a pair of Daedalus!

Best to all you good fellas!

Mike
hey mike great take . aloha chris has wisdom beyond his years. or maybe hes just older and that cool. anyhow it has been fun trying to figure out what sounds the best. i will tell you that i have never heard a guitar plugged in that sounds as good as the inexpensive cole clark guitars from australia. jack johnson and ben harper and xavier rudd play them from the guitar to a radial direct box to the system in front of 20k people. they are incredible. i am now trying to find something better. i have a maton tommy emmanuel coming in 6 weeks from maton on a musician deal. i cant wait to hear it. the ap5 system in there is supposedly amazing. to date i have heard most all of the pickup systems and cole clark is hands down the best. i just got the aer system which is supposed to be fantastic. i am going to install it in my northwood. the headway system is nice as well. this stuff is fun. have you guys tried the swirly q drink holder that slides on the mic stand. by the end of the night the fishman can sound like the daedalus and the daedalus can sound just like heaven. have fun playing guys.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Mike!

Aloha Mike,

EH, I'm with you on "the search for the perfect sound equipment" sentiment.

Over a year ago, Sdelsolray warned me about that search, especially as I entered the quest for the latest recording equipment as well. And Ed Gerhard, when he heard about my quest last years said, "Watch out aloha, once a tweeker, always a tweeker." He said he hoped I had the thousands to pursue the tweeking.

But it hasn't worked out that way.

I'm the kind of musician who can actually be happy with a live or recorded sound once I've achieved it. So it's never become a constant search for perfection for me. I check in every 5-10 years on the latest stuffs and upgrade accordingly. But these sites make it so much easier and more productive now. Thanks for your help.

Last year, I achieved my dream live rig. It took three years to get my knowledge level up to the actual purchases (saved hundreds on EBAY). But all y'all's (as they say in Dallas) really helped me narrow the choices down to products I'd never even heard nor even seen before out here in Hawaii. The results have been beyond any expectations I had. At 60 years old, and slowing down on the gigging this year so far, this dream rig may be my last. But what a sound! I play through it every night! Love those Daed 803's!

Yeah brother Mike, please go listen to some Daeds. It's just such an uncolored, high headroom, totally clear acoustic sound with absolutely effortless listening. Zero ear fatigue. People's head's turn when I fire them up - even if they don't know why?

The sound spectrum absolutely favors the acoustic guitar's frequencies - it's such a revelation playing all kinds of guitars and musical genres through them. Daedalus' are not a PA loudspeaker set up for mid-range voices at all -though voices do sound fantastic through them. They really are THAT different. Come with a price. My Koa W803's cost me around $3800 total, including cases, connections, the Koa and $300+ to ship 'em to Hawaii. But totally worth it to me!

I haven't bought anything since last summer in terms of live gear. So I find that I'm not really a tweeker at all. Never have cared much about things - only tools, experiences, nature and friends - especially musicians.

But like you Mike, I love these forums and the players who I've come to know through them. What talent! That's more important than trying to be "right" here or to be tempted by the SA or the new Bose or, chuckle, the Bagman's product, if it comes out ("wouldn't even let him take out my trash cans" as you said). Just as you don't need to buy Daed's to be satisfied with your Bose and SA, right?

But the process of learning here has been so much fun along the way. I love differences of opinions and stories. I like those among us who can express why they love a piece of equipment or provide experiences or links supporting their opinions. That's where the real learning is to be found, from extremes - to form your own educated opinion. I've learned so much along the way. And I like having a forum to help others come to know what's out there, and how to put a compatible signal chain together - a much under-discussed, understood topic here, IMO. The sum of the parts is really the ONLY thing that matters to me.

This year, I've been putting together recording gear so I can capture and share my music before my thumbs seize up for good. They've been doing much better lately than late last year. But I still gotta keep gigging to a minimum for awhile. That's ok. Some great opportunities to actaully play in concert have arisen because I'm available for those opportunities. Interesting how that works, huh, Mike?

I always enjoy you posts Mike. Keep pickin'. The last of the shama thrushes are singing outside my home right now. Think I'll go outside now at late sunset and put on a harmony. They're actually waiting for me on a lychee tree off my deck!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Playhard - if Aloha had wisdom beyond his years, he'd REALLY be smart, that old coot (Godfather III reference...)! Just kidding - you look up "cool" in the dictionary and Chris' picture is beside it. I bought four of those swirly drink holders for my band, now everybody uses them BUT me - I hate the stupid things, they don't hold a glass straight - drives me nutz. I bought a QuikStik one that is actually straight and holds any kind of glass - actually like, works - what a concept! But I can tell you love yours, which also works! I have another great swirly story that'll have to wait til tomorrow.

Chris... my BROTHER - aces all the way man! And for the record "y'all" is by definition plural - we Native Texicans KNOW a non-Texan when they say "all y'all"... kinda like "youse guys" - a true Jersey Boy would just say "youse", right? :-}

Night boys - Mike
Old 04-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Playhard... two years ago I had a cool opportunity to "run sound" for a special middle school event, first time for that. Big auditorium 800 or 1,000
kids and I ran my two Bose L1 Classics in mono. No big deal there, but the cool part was the artist - Terry Fator, the singing ventriliquist who won a million bucks on America's Got Talent, and parlayed that into a lifetime 100 million contract in Vegas. I had liked him on the show, he's amazing, and is also from my hometown of Corsicana, Texas - he was in a popular country band.

It was fun meeting him - setup was fun and simple - wireless mic for him, he ran the whole show from his iPod, and a dummy mic for his characters - no problem and it sounded great. Then I saw him duck taping something to the mic stand - some goofy thing that looked bad. I asked, and he said it was to hold his water bottle, so I said here, use this - and put the swirly gig on the stand for him. He thought that was the greatest thing, I gave it to him after the show with my compliments, and the Million Dollar Ventriliquist used MY drink holder in Vegas for about a year! Once he got the hundred mil deal, I'm guessing he has someone on staff now to hand him his water... Surely!

So, YOU are in fine company with your swirly gig!
Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Playhard... two years ago I had a cool opportunity to "run sound" for a special middle school event, first time for that. Big auditorium 800 or 1,000
kids and I ran my two Bose L1 Classics in mono. No big deal there, but the cool part was the artist - Terry Fator, the singing ventriliquist who won a million bucks on America's Got Talent, and parlayed that into a lifetime 100 million contract in Vegas. I had liked him on the show, he's amazing, and is also from my hometown of Corsicana, Texas - he was in a popular country band.

It was fun meeting him - setup was fun and simple - wireless mic for him, he ran the whole show from his iPod, and a dummy mic for his characters - no problem and it sounded great. Then I saw him duck taping something to the mic stand - some goofy thing that looked bad. I asked, and he said it was to hold his water bottle, so I said here, use this - and put the swirly gig on the stand for him. He thought that was the greatest thing, I gave it to him after the show with my compliments, and the Million Dollar Ventriliquist used MY drink holder in Vegas for about a year! Once he got the hundred mil deal, I'm guessing he has someone on staff now to hand him his water... Surely!

So, YOU are in fine company with your swirly gig!
nice stuff there mike. i saw an earlier post about a better one so i am now gassing for a better beer/beverage holder. hey check out the guy on you tube who plays with me when hes in town. keep in mind im a drinker who plays and strums. i play buffet, dave matthews, jack johnson, bob marley etc. this guy plays with me when he is in town a few times a month. quite honestly its hard to even play hes so good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADaLf67J3Bg
hes been opening up for tim reynolds and is one of the nicest guys ever. he is trying to show me how to fingerpick but.... my thumb has a mind of its own. take care my friend.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:29 AM

In the spirit of the release of the Compact Bose, I have been cranking up the Model 1 classic w/ 1 sub, all week at home. It reminded me quickly of why I bought BOSE. If that makes me a cool-aid drinker, then give me a big old pitcher to down. Short of a setup like Alohachris, whose sonic rewards make the schlepping worth it, IM(very)HO, there just is no match. I think SoloAmp dedicated users feel the same way. I would go with an easier to carry solution only if I can sleep at night knowing I did not give away that clean, clear sound I get. When you are a T5 player, it is a bit different than the straight acoustic tone. BOSE does it easily, (as does my GB Compak300 10T). My Taylors, PRS Archtop and everything else sound good through the BOSE.
So I will wait, and like everyone else here, do my A/B against my Model 1 Classic.
Patience.... maybe not one of my virtues, if there are any.
davidc
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 AM

My GenzBenz Compak 300 T10, 2 Cub 100's, Schertler Unico, and Bose Classic all say bring on that Lil Bose to try..... but seem a little nervous when I mention Daedalus.. Hmmmm... they like the Pendulum SPS-1 though as it helps them.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 AM

Default Now it's a three way contest

Fishman Soloamp... Bose L1 Compact... now...

BagAmp will be announced formally on Friday July 3, 2009. The new web site will go live then at http://www.bagamp.com . The new product line will be shown at the Summer NAMM Show in Nashville July 17 - 19, booth #1635.

Reservations will be taken for the first production run units from the web site. A drawing will be held for a free BagAmp and a free BagAmp Sub from those who place (no obligation) early reservations. We will draw another free BagAmp winner from NAMM Show attendees.

Mass production BagAmp products will begin to ship to customers during August 2009. No more promises. Just real products.

I am almost 7-years into this. It's been a long, long road. But, the destination comes around next Friday, guys.

Life is good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification