The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Tips on Fiberglass Fingernail Reinforcement

I've just begun reinforcing my fingernails with fiberglass tape and gel resin, following the video on YouTube from James Taylor. Only problem is, more often than not, some resin bleeds into where the fingernail meets flesh which glues the nail to the skin. Does anyone who does this regularly have a clever way to avoid having flesh getting stuck to nail? Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I use superglue from Guitar Player Nails and the pipettes they sell. It is the most precise way to deal with the glue, but I always manage to get glue where it is not wanted. I've also had a few glue explosions and had to spend the afternoon scraping glue off my skin with my nails.

Back to the issue. if it is in the valley between skin and nail, i just file it off with a thin nail file.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion