The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-15-2022, 08:21 AM

Default Solo thoughts?

I have spent a good amount of time playing in duo and trios. Enjoy playing with others and the sound is wonderful playing in public….
OK….but after (hope anyway) covid I was offered a few bookings and, while I accepted, I decided to go solo.
I find myself much more relaxed and certainly enjoy the freedom. No practice to organize, and simpler set list selections and system adjustments are really easy.
Setting up gigs is, well, I can commit on the first phone call as it’s only myself.

I know I will miss some things playing solo, but it sure makes thing easy…..
Any thoughts?
Old 06-15-2022, 08:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

JJ,
If it is more relaxing with less muss & fuss, it’s a beautiful thing.

More time to repair those fine Stihl products:-)

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 06-15-2022, 09:33 AM

I'm learning to play piano with the goal of playing out again one day as a solo. What I like is I choose the songs, tempo,set order, key and arrangement and best of all rehearsals are when ever I decide. And, I won't have to check with the rest of the group when a gig is offered.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-15-2022, 10:45 AM

The few times I've performed in public this century it's been solo, but I record by multitracking a great deal. Much easier to use what odd-lots of time I can devote to it, though maybe someday I'll have to write an announcement that my one-man-band is breaking up due to creative differences.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-15-2022, 11:25 AM

I hate playing solo, but not enough to quit.

D.H.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I have spent a good amount of time playing in duo and trios. Enjoy playing with others and the sound is wonderful playing in public….
OK….but after (hope anyway) covid I was offered a few bookings and, while I accepted, I decided to go solo.
I find myself much more relaxed and certainly enjoy the freedom. No practice to organize, and simpler set list selections and system adjustments are really easy.
Setting up gigs is, well, I can commit on the first phone call as it’s only myself.

Any thoughts?
Totally, at one time I had a multi instrumental duo (including me), a trio wit mando and double bass, and a four, sometime five piece bluegrass band.

All had their good and less good aspects.

After working for two years (2017/8) to get my voice back and rebuild my playing skills - I put myself about and secured a very nice set of solo gigs - for summer 2020 (!)

Covid also put paid to my trio which was mainly about my club.

I'm in my mid '70s now and whilst I'd LOVE to play together with another good musician. If I ever get asked to gig again, I think I'd just do it solo.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:59 AM

I got asked to be a sideman for a local duo back in December. I've really enjoyed it, as I don't have to book the gigs, I've learned a bunch of new-to-me music, and I get paid a little.

I still play solo gigs, too. The cut of the money is better and I get to pick the songs.

I also play and sing in a bluegrass group. There's no money in bluegrass but it sure is fun.

There are pluses and minuses to either situation. This busy time of the year, I'm thinking about what to prioritize, what do I like best, etc. Then there's another gig to get ready for and I stop thinking about it.

I think I'd really enjoy a duo with two instruments and two voices. Haven't found that situation yet.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

I've been performing mostly solo acoustic guitar and voice for the better part of the past 3 decades, with occasional forays into duos and trios and a full band gig every once in a while.

So, I'm quite used to the show being just me up there on stage, with my 6 and 12 string guitars. You're right, there are a lot of great aspects to simplifying things.

There's a downside to it, as well... I mean, as a solo, I don't have anyone else to worry about except myself... but if it ain't happening? Well, it's just me! No one else to help carry the load or pick up where I fall down... I find the actual performance aspect MUCH easier with another player (or two), but it has to the RIGHT other player.

Have fun with it! There is certainly a large degree of freedom that comes with playing solo gigs... I can pick any song I want, and segues between tunes are a breeze, as are tempo and key changes.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-16-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
All of my experience has been in groups...Two different Bands...one old Country(5years) and the second Old Rock and Roll(5years) and Gospel(2years)
It's a beautiful thing when your all having a great night and it's work when it's not...

I've been solo(in my home) for a while and I find the freedom special...I love it..
But now I have no one to look at(point at) when I make a mistake LOL
If I gig again it will be solo to make my own choices...to do it the way I want to do it..without drama
Without relying on others... to help pay for equipment, show up, do their part, to help pack up, to help setup...to not get drunk, to get a big head....Should I go on ?? I've seen it all...
But I wouldn't trade the memories for anything...For a while I was an Outlaw
Old 06-16-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
The is 100% the reason why I'm making a huge effort to learn chord melody.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 06-16-2022, 06:18 PM

I am with

you play what you want, when you want, how you want.

less gear, no logistics, ,, much easier to manage.

plus.

there's no splits on the cash outs..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-17-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
I really feel this is a direction I need to go... I'll be looking into this!! Thanks
Old 06-17-2022, 12:07 PM

Lucky you! If I was offered solo gigs at all, I'd jump at them. I like playing in bands, but there's a whole lot of music I like to play solo that I don't (or rarely) get a chance to.

The problem would come if I got a booking for a band gig and a solo gig on the same night! (Hey I can dream...) The rules is first come first served, of course, but if there was a choice, probably I'd go with the band, even if the money was less. But a lot would depend on the band (do I know them? how well? do I like them??), the venues, and the likely audience. The money is not an issue (that's where I am lucky... )
Old 06-17-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The problem would come if I got a booking for a band gig and a solo gig on the same night! (Hey I can dream...) The rules is first come first served, of course, but if there was a choice, probably I'd go with the band, even if the money was less. But a lot would depend on the band (do I know them? how well? do I like them??), the venues, and the likely audience...
That's the nice thing with the sideman gig I've got going - the flexibility works both ways. They've told me to take the better money solo gig when that situation has come up. Everyone has multiple projects, so outside of the core duo, the players vary any given night. I've flexed from guitar to bass when needed.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
not to hijack the thread.....but
suggestions for the best resources to learn chord melody?
This has been on my radar for quite some time now

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write