The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-11-2021, 01:56 AM

Default Neck reset on a 12 string Morris

Hi Luthiers,

I working on a neck reset of a 12 string Morris from the seventies. I did everything according the book, but I won’t come off with steam.
Does anyone know the reason, and maybe a solution??

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 08-11-2021, 08:04 AM

What exactly have you done so far?

I have not ever reset a Morris neck but it very well may be set with Asian Mystery Glue.

When I don't have any knowledge or cannot dig up any info on how a particular guitars neck was glued in then I have two options. One is to convert to a bolt on and the other is by sawing through the 12th fret and remove the fretboard extension so I can see what king of neck attachment was used.

If you are for example assuming that you can steam through a hole on the 15th fret like on a Martin you may be totally missing it.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

My first neck reset was on an older Alvarez 12 string. I made a jig similar to the StewMac one. I used steam also. I really had no idea what I was doing. After an hour of constant Steam, tightening the clamp and leveraging the neck up and down it finally popped off. This was my introduction to Asian mystery glue. The actual joint was very poorly fit with huge gaps filled past overflowing. It took hours to grind the stuff on both the neck and block to finally get an acceptable fit.
If I ever do another I’ll definitely saw it off and make a bolt on.

Last edited by BradHall; 08-11-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:57 AM

All necks should bolt on or use easily softened glue. Dovetails wit PVA are a breeze to remove butter swimming and refitting is a pain compared to bolt on necks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
neck reset