The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 AM

Default CE Sobel -- A couple 00+'s

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to the forum and have been working part time and now full time for the last 4 years as a classical guitar builder in Ridgefield, Washington. This year for some reason I had a large demand for small bodied steel string guitars and so I thought it would be cool to post a couple of the commissions I'm working on right now. The body size is between a 00 and a 000, although closer to a OO, hence the "OO+". It'll feature a 12 fret dovetail joint and a pinless bridge among other things. Guitar 1 is Sitka/East Indian and Guitar 2 is Redwood/Cocobolo. The overall design is based off my mentor Jeff Elliott's hybrid X and fan bracing for really light tension strings, although I've adapted both of these for my customers who prefer regular light tension.

Onto the build... First, cutting the top and rosette. I bought these billets from Jeff and it was somewhat hard to tell initially if it was going to be that good since they were so old. Mmmmmm... thankfully this one turned out to be one nice billet!

The rosette is spalted amboyna burl with bloodwood and satinwood lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2199.jpg (41.5 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg Sitka.jpg (34.2 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg Hudson Rosette.jpg (39.1 KB, 619 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 AM

Here are a couple pics of the redwood and rosette... a sister cut slice of the same amboyna burl but interrupted in the middle by abalone and bloodwood throughout. The white lines are .25mm yellow cedar.

The redwood comes out of a mineshaft in northern California. Apparently the beams were pulled out and replaced with proper concrete supports a few years back. I was fortunate enough to get a couple beams. It must be about 90 years old or so, and has an incredible tap tone like Brazilian RW. There's a pic of another set as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redwood.jpg (39.2 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0180.jpg (47.9 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1115.jpg (42.6 KB, 621 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:51 AM

Here's a few shots of assembling the box. For these two I assembled the sides and then added the top and then the back. In this pic the end block is being heated up to give some more open time after being sealed with hide glue. A similarity with my classical guitars is that the top is attached to the sides with individual blocks instead of kerfed or solid linings. It takes a lot more time but I really enjoy manufacturing the blocks and installing them while listening to some good music. I like to vary the species mostly for enjoyment and a different look, although using a very heavy rosewood for the blocks instead of mahogany or cedar can make the sound a tiny bit richer and darker. The idea is just the side mass concept.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2181.jpg (33.3 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2194.jpg (36.1 KB, 605 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:16 AM

Some pics of the cocobolo back. This is some dense stuff at almost 1300kg/m3!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0188.jpg (32.3 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0183.jpg (37.6 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0185.jpg (42.4 KB, 606 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:25 AM

Here are some pictures of the internals before closing the box, and a cross section shot of the inside... the bracing is a mix of sitka and euro spruce, both chosen for medium density and very high s/w ratio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0160 (1).jpg (30.5 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0161 (1).jpg (34.1 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0173 (1).jpg (29.5 KB, 606 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:35 AM

Ok time to take a break... Wolfe guards the stacks of Brazilian RW. He is an ADA service animal for my time in AFG and IZ and an essential part of the shop! Sweet boy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1742.jpg (46.4 KB, 604 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:52 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting these fine builds - the rosettes are really something and those redwood beams must have been enormous! Look forward to more posts.

Love the idea of a 00.5 too.

Col
Old 09-06-2017, 06:47 AM

Very appealing builds and beautiful dog.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:16 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Sobel View Post
Ok time to take a break... Wolfe guards the stacks of Brazilian RW. He is an ADA service animal for my time in AFG and IZ and an essential part of the shop! Sweet boy.
They call them "working dogs" for a reason ... lol. I have some experience working with service dogs, amazing animals, you are fortunate to have found each other. They really are life altering companions!

Lovely rosettes, please keep posting.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)

Last edited by IBKuz; 09-06-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 AM

Impressive!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting. The guitars look great. Those redwood tops are some fantastic specimens.

I like your furry shop partner too.

I certainly will be following this build thread with anticipation. If you have the ability to post any sound clips of these guitars when they are finished, that would be nice. I would be especially interested in hearing the redwood and cocobolo one.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 09-06-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting. The guitars look great. Those redwood tops are some fantastic specimens.

I like your furry shop partner too.

I certainly will be following this build thread with anticipation. If you have the ability to post any sound clips of these guitars when they are finished, that would be nice. I would be especially interested in hearing the redwood and cocobolo one.
Hello,

I definitely plan to get recordings on both the guitars for my webpage so I'll post them when everything is done. It won't be till december sine I'm french polishing these and that takes some time, but I'll let you know. I'm planning to tune the boxes to roughly the same intervals and do a side by side to showcase the different combo's of woods!

Edit: I'm probably going to do a Redwood/Brazilian after these ones with some old growth stuff and a sister cut redwood top... I'll send you a clip of that one as well when it's finished. I'm curious to compare the Cocobolo and Brazilian when everything else is relatively the same.

Chris

Last edited by CE Sobel; 09-06-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM

I bound and purfled the East Indian guitar last night... now to take a break and catch up on the Cocobolo. The bindings are ebony with a birdseye maple purling. The black insert in the middle of the top is a small section of Blackwood that goes through the top and most of the bridge patch to house the piano wire that the strings will hook onto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0189.jpg (29.9 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0191.jpg (33.5 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2261.jpg (41.1 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2263.jpg (45.3 KB, 535 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting these fine builds - the rosettes are really something and those redwood beams must have been enormous! Look forward to more posts.

Love the idea of a 00.5 too.

Col
Thank you! I'm trying to dig up a picture of one section of a beam that had a metal connector drilled through it to anchor it to the rock... it was actually a really nice section save for the 1.5" hole through the middle of the billet. I guess it could be incorporated into a top haha. When I got the beams they had been cut down to size a little bit but the chunks were still big enough to split and resaw.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for doing this build thread. Your guitars are looking really nice.

Since you are a classical guitar builder as well as a steel string guitar builder, I was wondering if there is some commonality in their tone. For example, I have a steel string guitar built by Alan Carruth, who started building classical guitars before he built steel string and currently builds both. I feel that my steel string guitar's tone has significant influence/commonality to that of classical guitars.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop