The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 AM

No problem finding good domestic materials.

Big problem selling high-end guitars made from them when players want traditional & exotic. . .
Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

I built this guitar from materials found about 100 ft behind my house. The planks of an old barn were oak and pine and no doubt were cut locally in the hills of Virginia where I lived at the time. I don't know what kind of pine the top is made of but the rest of it is white oak. I could have used the pine for bracing however I chose to use Sitka so it's not 100% local but it easily could have been.
What did you use for the bindings?

I've watched your YT videos many times, that is a beauty of a guitar!

Hans Brentrup makes quite a few Oak guitars, IMO they are my favourite sounding of his guitars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Ae...NUECsoblNajPXQ
Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 AM

What Frank says. Some of my best guitars have been made of quartered oak. Everybody likes the sound. They can take forever to sell, though... Go figure.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Mostly North American

I have a black cherry / western red cedar classical guitar being built right now. The laminated sides and some of the bracing is also made from port orford cedar. It's not totally North American in that the neck is spanish cedar (south america), the fingerboard will be ebony (africa) and the headplate veneer and bridge will be brazilian rosewood.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
What did you use for the bindings?

I've watched your YT videos many times, that is a beauty of a guitar!

Hans Brentrup makes quite a few Oak guitars, IMO they are my favourite sounding of his guitars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Ae...NUECsoblNajPXQ
Oh yeah the bindings are maple also purchased locally but I'm not really sure where that came from. That's a nice little rag on a nice little ragtime machine.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Oh yeah the bindings are maple also purchased locally but I'm not really sure where that came from. That's a nice little rag on a nice little ragtime machine.
The maple bindings look very nice indeed.

I don't think the Brentrup is a little ragtime machine, it has a 15" lower bout! I think it might be that DDH is a large chap!

Here he is playing a 19" guitar!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qytJ...cpaiySK0k_ZGBw
Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
It's not totally North American in that the neck is spanish cedar (south america), the fingerboard will be ebony (africa) and the headplate veneer and bridge will be brazilian rosewood.
Sassafras or butternut are two good substitutes for a Spanish cedar neck.
And on a classical guitar I like Texas ebony for the fingerboard and dyed osage orange for the bridge.
The peghead veneer could be any number of figured domestic hardwoods. I have some very dense cherry that has beautiful black line figuring in it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair