The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM

Default Fret buzz on playing notes around 9 fret

Hello,

I bought a new guitar,three days back.I didn't check the higher frets when buying.So, now when I am play notes around 9th frets it starts buzzing(zero buzz playing open notes and no buzz after 17 th fret)and its highly annoying.I have used a straightedge and found out that the neck is straight(don't know if I am right)

The buzz is high in the low E string from frets 9 to 16...On the other strings it is there but not as bad as the low E string ,and most of them starts buzzing around 9th fret,fretted first and last notes in all strings are perfect.I guess that the problem is with the fret plates?
Would like to know your opinion.Thanks.

Nandu
Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM

That usually indicates high frets or a hump in the fretboard. Depending on the severity, it can either be fixed by tightening the truss rod and raising the saddle, by leveling the frets, or by removing frets and leveling the fingerboard. .
Old 08-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
That usually indicates high frets or a hump in the fretboard. Depending on the severity, it can either be fixed by tightening the truss rod and raising the saddle, by leveling the frets, or by removing frets and leveling the fingerboard. .
thank you
Old 08-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Check the 17th fret with a fret rocker, it may be high. If it is, it may be because it's not completely seated. It can be tapped in with a hammer and a small piece of wood, and that could fix it.
If the 17th fret isn't high, or tapping it in doesn't fix it, follow Mr. Arnold's advice.
et al
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM

yes ,i will try i today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair