The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2022, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Both have a lot of clarity and note separation. The Bourgeois will be a *little* closer to the Martin sound. The Collings neck will be slightly fuller feeling, whereas Bourgeois necks tend to be on the shallower side depth-wise. The Bourgeois will be slightly more forgiving of sloppy fingering and technique. I personally find Collings OMs severely lacking in bass response, and they have a brighter timbre and a ‘hot’ midrange, whereas the Bourgeois will be more balanced overall.

Neither is an appropriate substitute for a Martin OM tonewise, IMHO.
I'd add that most of the Collings stuff seems to have more "cut" than any Bourgeois I've come across. Bourgeois' are warmer, but then again Pluto is warmer than most Collings guitars.

When I think of my favorite Collings stuff I've encountered over the years (a few varnish things, a couple Traditionals, and a super straight-grained BRW Clarence White) they were really "out there" in a way I've yet to encounter with a Bourgeois. It just seems I've encountered a broader spectrum of "great" with Collings. This is all just anecdotal, of course.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz 1934 OM. Search stops there
Old 06-27-2022, 09:12 AM

In response to the two brands you mentioned, I haven't had the opportunity to try out a Bourgeois OM. I've owned Martins and Collings, played a number of SCGC and small shop OMs... So, to address the Collings part of your question, if I had to keep only one guitar for life it would be my Collings OM2HAT. It's from the Traditional Series and has a has a baked Adi top, so the tonal profile is rich, warm and fat... a bit different than the sound some associate with a Standard Series Collings. It's one of those guitars of work that never fails to astound me every time I pick it up.

I'd definitely try to play as many as possible before making a decision, and I'd also look at H&D, SCGC like others have suggested. Best of luck in your search.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:38 PM

I have a Bourgeois OM that I absolutely love. I've played a few other OMs from Collings and the like and I preferred the Bourgeois sound the most: Balanced warm and rich. I'm mostly a fingerstyle player so the Bourgeois is perfect for my style of play. Madagascar rosewood B&S + Adi top
Old 06-27-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe86 View Post
I was wondering about the general opinions of Bourgeois and Collings OM guitars.
It comes down to preference.

I'm polarized on the subject, at least when it comes to dreads and OM's. I prefer the rich, mellow tone of Bourgeois, and find most of the Collings I've played to be annoyingly bright, brash, piano-like -- though I haven't tried Collings Traditionals. But many on the forum love the Collings tone and overall gestalt and might find the signature Bourgeois tone to be too subdued.

Which only indicates that the two brands can be perceived as quite different.

As mentioned above, you might add Santa Cruz to your list of guitars to try.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

If you're younger I'd say get the Martin and look after it. Purely and simply because of the prices Martins over 40 years old are selling for.
I love the boutique guitars and have owned and still own more than I should, but they do not seem to retain value..... yet, maybe in the future a 40 year old boutique guitar will really develop some value, who knows.

But it seems to me the Martins and Gibsons the sky maybe the limit . Maybe a crap reason for your choice but definitely one to consider.

https://cartervintage.com/collection...tin-om-18-1936
Old 06-28-2022, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Both have a lot of clarity and note separation. The Bourgeois will be a *little* closer to the Martin sound. The Collings neck will be slightly fuller feeling, whereas Bourgeois necks tend to be on the shallower side depth-wise. The Bourgeois will be slightly more forgiving of sloppy fingering and technique. I personally find Collings OMs severely lacking in bass response, and they have a brighter timbre and a ‘hot’ midrange, whereas the Bourgeois will be more balanced overall.

Neither is an appropriate substitute for a Martin OM tonewise, IMHO.

This is my experience as well.
Best,
Jayne
Old 06-28-2022, 11:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

They both have their place, for sure. Collings is a slightly heavier build with a hotter midrange, so could be argued as a better live guitar in a band setting or easier to EQ in the studio. Bourgeois OMs on average sound prettier and somewhat quieter, depending on the tone woods. Neither brand is attempting to recreate a Martin sound.

Jealous of the Bourgeois OM Adi/Madrose from a few posts back, looks exactly like one that I (Raymond) had to let go about 6 years ago (built 2006 or 2008, I think?) that thing was just *quintessential* as the 3-dimensional rosewood OM sound. Sick Madrose, too! We got our first brand new Bourgeois OM of 2022 this week, Soloist w/ Euro/Madrose, and the sound is very, very fine. They still got it!!!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 06-28-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
They both have their place, for sure. Collings is a slightly heavier build with a hotter midrange, so could be argued as a better live guitar in a band setting or easier to EQ in the studio. Bourgeois OMs on average sound prettier and somewhat quieter, depending on the tone woods. Neither brand is attempting to recreate a Martin sound.

Jealous of the Bourgeois OM Adi/Madrose from a few posts back, looks exactly like one that I (Raymond) had to let go about 6 years ago (built 2006 or 2008, I think?) that thing was just *quintessential* as the 3-dimensional rosewood OM sound. Sick Madrose, too! We got our first brand new Bourgeois OM of 2022 this week, Soloist w/ Euro/Madrose, and the sound is very, very fine. They still got it!!!
Thanks! Mine is from 2003.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:28 AM

AMW -

I'm surprised the Collings is a "slightly heavier build". I have a Collings OM1 with Red Mt. Cedar b/s - sitka top and it's very light.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
AMW -

I'm surprised the Collings is a "slightly heavier build". I have a Collings OM1 with Red Mt. Cedar b/s - sitka top and it's very light.
There will be exceptions, of course, but on average a Collings is a little heavier than a Bourgeois built with the same tone woods. Mahogany b/s guitars (Red Mt. Cedar is sort of a "high altitude" mahogany) skew lighter than rosewood guitars, most of the time.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 06-29-2022, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
AMW -

Don't know if it is still true. But Collings from the 1990s/2000s have slightly thicker top than most builders. It was his philosophy about grading tops. I think once broken in, this gives more power/sustain, all things equal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion