The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2022, 10:51 AM

As the OP, yesterday I canceled my Taylor Big Baby BBTe guitar order from GC. There was a few things I did not like on it and they are:
1. The exposed screws on the neck
2. No heel on the guitar neck. Not sure how stable the guitar neck would be without it and not sure if the tuning of the guitar would be off.

In the replacement of the Taylor Big Baby BBTe, I ordered the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany at GC yesterday. It should arrive on Wednesday to my home. I even looked at the Yamaha FS800, FG800 and FG830 at GC when I was there and those Yamaha's don't appeal to me.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:00 AM

I got my grand son a yamaha for christmas, his first acoustic, he's 22.

It's a middle of the road model, nice.. It's something that I would take to a gig.

and I agree, I would suggest to go with a full sized instead of a JR sized.

if you really like the smaller sized ones tho, the Guild Mini Jumbo is a nice choice too.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-27-2022, 03:30 PM

I've been at it for over 50 years and have been playing Guilds since I bought my D40 in 1972. The thing about Martins and Taylors is that although you can buy one in your price range it will be one of their bottom of the line examples. This all solid wood Guild is what I chose for my most recent purchase. If you have to sell your underwear to scrape up the extra hundred bucks do it, go here and don't look back.

Here's mine with a cutaway.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guild/D...RoCh64QAvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRACH0ZjB0c&t=46s

Last edited by PAPADON; 06-27-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpod9 View Post
As the OP, yesterday I canceled my Taylor Big Baby BBTe guitar order from GC. There was a few things I did not like on it and they are:
1. The exposed screws on the neck
2. No heel on the guitar neck. Not sure how stable the guitar neck would be without it and not sure if the tuning of the guitar would be off.

In the replacement of the Taylor Big Baby BBTe, I ordered the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany at GC yesterday. It should arrive on Wednesday to my home. I even looked at the Yamaha FS800, FG800 and FG830 at GC when I was there and those Yamaha's don't appeal to me.
The GS Mini is a definite step up in quality from the BB. Lots of love for the GS mini around here, and I'm sure there are a ton of threads here and YT videos for you to enjoy while you wait. Congrats!
Old 06-27-2022, 06:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
The GS Mini is a definite step up in quality from the BB. Lots of love for the GS mini around here, and I'm sure there are a ton of threads here and YT videos for you to enjoy while you wait. Congrats!
Perhaps for some, but I personally prefer the BB. The Mini sounds boxy to me. I still think the Academy 10 or 12 is an even better guitar. All jmo.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:29 PM

Default Try 'em all...

And buy the one that fits better than the other dozen you played! Any unknown guitar bought online is a crapshoot, especially if you don't know your preferred neck and body specs. The GS Mini neck is too cramped for me, and I have quite small hands. I have to bend over to play the little body. Your experience will be different. I wish you luck, mi amigo.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-28-2022, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1 on the Yamaha, FG if you want a dread sized and FS if you want something a little smaller.

Greg, welcome to the AGF! Another option under your price range is a Seagull S6 or a Simon & Patrick (both are made in Canada).
+1 too, buy what sounds and feels best gor you. No need for electric option while learning.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 06-28-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your GS Mini ! They are a fun guitar and a great travel guitar once you decide to move up ! Let us know how y like it.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
A great guitar to look at is the Yamaha FG800 - it is a fantastic guitar, retails for about $180-$220, and is well regarded by beginners and advanced players alike. It is one of the best selling guitars in the world for a good reason.

The dreadnought size is the FG800 series.

The smaller concert size is the FS800 series.

Guitar center will have both of these.

Good luck!
This is excellent advice. You will probably want another guitar down the road, although that won't be a requirement. You will have to decide if you want a dread or 000 size (or smaller). You will have to decide if you're more comfortable on a 1 3/4 nut or smaller. You will have to decide if you want Mahogany or Rosewood (or something else). You will have to decide how important the guitar is in your life and how much time you will spend playing it daily.

You are not really prepared to answer any of these questions yet, and your answers may well change over time - mine did. If you only spend $200 for a really fine Yamaha now you will already have a jump start on your next guitar savings, and you could have the Yamaha for decades if you want.

Do what makes you happy, but you may well find that down the road a bit you really want a $1,000 guitar, or just the Yamaha. Give yourself a chance to make an informed choice.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-28-2022, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new choice! Please keep us posted!

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 06-28-2022, 11:06 PM

Congratulations! ..and don’t forget to practice
Old 06-28-2022, 11:15 PM

I am warmed reading the encouragements from many folks to buy a Yamaha and learn. These aren't fashion statements but honestly made sound performers that will last years. I hope OP takes the advice. Picture of perfection? no. Good solid value, yes. (and I don't own one, but if I was starting today with nothing in hand I'd be using that Yanaha to learn a whole bunch of things.)
Old 06-29-2022, 05:28 PM

Default Yamaha

Hi there,

I myself have never owned a Yamaha. But most of my friends who are interested in picking up guitar often come to me for advice on what they should get for their first guitar. I always tell them if you're not paying a thousand bucks or more go for Yamaha. Incredible bang for the buck. Just recently I was shopping for a guitar for my sister. Her budget was 500 dollars. We ended up picking up a Yamaha FS800C for about 300 (can't remember the exact price. Also I'm in Canada so it's a little more expensive that US). It's a beautiful little guitar, and very playable which is extremely important to a beginner. It does not feel like you're playing a "cheap" guitar. Sounds fine, but again, it's comfortable to play, which is of utmost importance. Also you were considering a Baby Taylor, so I believe you would be more comfortable with the Yamaha FS over the FG. There are a lot of great guitars but it is really hard to beat Yamaha in your price range. I love playing this guitar, and I do not normally like playing cheap guitars. Either the neck is too thick, or the frets are too sharp, or it sounds like crap. You don't get those with Yamaha. They are incredible for the price. Good luck in your hunt!!

UPDATE!! Just realized the hunt is over!! Congrats on the new guitar!! You'll love it!!

Last edited by GreatCanadian; 06-29-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:56 AM

I got a Yamaha used FG730, and although I have not heard it with new strings yet.. the old dead weak ones on it have sounded fine... not great,, and I got a new saddle,, not installed yet. But the thing is I got all these upgrade ideas but,, I WANT TOO PLAY THAT SILLY GUITAR SO MUCH I DONT WANT TO BOTHER WITH DOWN TIME... I'm not a beginner but I am on acoustic.. but I have already found I like acoustic so much more then electric.. being a beginner an fg800 is a great starter.. and you will not grow out of it.. the yamahas get all the thing right when you are just starting out,,, fantastic construction,, good solid top spruce.. fret work, nice tuners, I have had this s guitar for half a year and I finally just ordered strings for it... so as good and lively as it sounds once it has the strings and the bone saddle on this thing will really bark.. yea I would recommend a fg800
Old 07-01-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
My opinion: All the advice to play and choose, but OP is starting with no experience. All that shopping and evaluating isn't going to be happening. Buy that Yamaha, see where the journey goes.
Having recently been as new as the OP, I feel this reply.

When I was picking my first guitars I literally could not play a single note. I bought a bass from a guy on Craigslist exclusively based on researching brands and models and how to figure out if a neck was screwed up. I just accepted that once I learned my way around it, I might find something I hated about it.

It was forums like this, answering my stupid questions, which helped me make a decent decision in the end. No amount of playing the candidates would have helped me when I didn't know how to play at all. It's like trying to compare clutches in cars if you don't know how to drive.

Fortunately, every pick I have made so far has worked out. I hope OP enjoys his pick too! And if not, some things can only be learned the hard way. I think every gear-centric hobby burns us sooner or later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion