The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Uke Education

Could some of you more knowledgeable uke folks give me a quick education and some recommendations on purchasing a uke? I am interested in a baritone uke.

Thanks!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 AM

As a soprano guy, I have little to recommend to you, but one brand in particular, not too expensive, that is NOT hit-miss is Favilla. You can find a Favilla baritone for 400 and less. Harmony are more of a hit-miss. On the new front, Pono is an excellent name, not wildly expensive either.

Martin is another name, but I had a "student" with a Martin baritone, and.. Idunno, something about it I didn't care for, sound, hard to play even though it was set up pretty decent. And they're over a grand. Necks are skinny.

You want expensive and custom, plenty of those out there as well.

Baritone just a preference?

Edit: I check the classifieds of Ukuleleunderground pretty often, and just found this, can't tell you much about it, but it's a Pono for 270.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...lele-with-Case
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
As a soprano guy, I have little to recommend to you, but one brand in particular, not too expensive, that is NOT hit-miss is Favilla. You can find a Favilla baritone for 400 and less. Harmony are more of a hit-miss. On the new front, Pono is an excellent name, not wildly expensive either.

Martin is another name, but I had a "student" with a Martin baritone, and.. Idunno, something about it I didn't care for, sound, hard to play even though it was set up pretty decent. And they're over a grand. Necks are skinny.

You want expensive and custom, plenty of those out there as well.

Baritone just a preference?

Edit: I check the classifieds of Ukuleleunderground pretty often, and just found this, can't tell you much about it, but it's a Pono for 270.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...lele-with-Case
Thanks for the advice. I will check out these brands and that link.

Baritone...being a guitar player I was thinking a larger uke would make for an easier physical transition. I understand baritones are tuned differently than the others. Would you recommend I start with a tenor over a bari?

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 06-29-2013, 08:00 AM

Well, I did start with a tenor because that's what all the cool guys played. I can't really say what you should start on, they're all great instruments. I can only offer you some thoughts on it.

A uke is tuned like a guitar (without those pesky bass strings) with a capo on the 5th fret. A baritone is tuned exactly like a guitar's 1st 4 (usually). One of the things that makes a uke a uke is the high string on the 4th, re-entrant tuning it's called. On a baritone, they make strings to do that, Aquila makes a set, but in my experience with my student's uke, they just aren't right (all in my opinion, of course.). Otherwise you have a low D going higher to g,b,e. Just like a guitar, same chord names, same.. same.

There are those that feel a guitar player would be more comfortable with a tenor or baritone due to size, and some are, maybe you as well. The guitars I play mostly are pretty big, and all 12 strings, 2 Nationals and a Dell'Arte Leadbelly, and all have nut widths of around 1-7/8 to 2 inches, and I switch pretty easily to soprano.

So, if you're a pretty big guy, you may like a tenor or baritone, if you're a pretty small guy, you may STILL like a tenor or baritone. Know what I mean? They're all good.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 AM

http://www.theukulelesite.com/?SID=j...2dledbtedt7tn5

Another good website with lots of Ukeleles for sale and a lot of useful information. I bought my Uke from them and I'm glad that I did. I tried several locally before I made my decision. I definitely preferred the Tenor size and eventually purchased a Kamaka H-3. I also seem to prefer "Low G" tuning, though many purists would advise reentrant tuning...

Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM

There's no room in music for purists.

Edit: I take that back, some "purism" is good. Just not equipment "purism". Strings are equipment, and it's all subjective.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I did start with a tenor because that's what all the cool guys played. I can't really say what you should start on, they're all great instruments. I can only offer you some thoughts on it.

A uke is tuned like a guitar (without those pesky bass strings) with a capo on the 5th fret. A baritone is tuned exactly like a guitar's 1st 4 (usually). One of the things that makes a uke a uke is the high string on the 4th, re-entrant tuning it's called. On a baritone, they make strings to do that, Aquila makes a set, but in my experience with my student's uke, they just aren't right (all in my opinion, of course.). Otherwise you have a low D going higher to g,b,e. Just like a guitar, same chord names, same.. same.

There are those that feel a guitar player would be more comfortable with a tenor or baritone due to size, and some are, maybe you as well. The guitars I play mostly are pretty big, and all 12 strings, 2 Nationals and a Dell'Arte Leadbelly, and all have nut widths of around 1-7/8 to 2 inches, and I switch pretty easily to soprano.

So, if you're a pretty big guy, you may like a tenor or baritone, if you're a pretty small guy, you may STILL like a tenor or baritone. Know what I mean? They're all good.
Many thanks! Another factor in thinking a baritone is a brief bit of hands-on. I went to a uke show in Reno a couple months back and found myself gravitating to the baritone at most booths. I also played a great sounding redwood/mahogany tenor. It all caught me by surprise. I was there helping out a friend in the guitar vendor area and I wasn't prepared to buy a uke.

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 AM

You're most welcome!

Let me ask a question... When you were in the booth and looking at ukes, did you sort of "dismiss" the sopranos and concerts as looking toylike? Just curious, as I did at first. Tenors and baritones just looked serious, sopranos looked like kidstuff. Now, this was 7 or 8 years ago, how times changed!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're most welcome!

Let me ask a question... When you were in the booth and looking at ukes, did you sort of "dismiss" the sopranos and concerts as looking toylike? Just curious, as I did at first. Tenors and baritones just looked serious, sopranos looked like kidstuff. Now, this was 7 or 8 years ago, how times changed!
Actually I played all sizes. I just liked the "meatier" vibe of the bigger ukes. I now recall when at the booth with the redwood-topped ukes, he had both a bari and a tenor. The tenor had much more depth in the voice, but my reaction was "I wish that bari sounded this good". So, again, that larger size was significantly more appealing to me.

My dad had a 1950s Martin all-hog concert that I had restored for him at Gryphon a few years ago. I took a little time to play it and just could not get into the small size even though it had good sonic depth and a lot of mojo. My bro has that uke now...I got the 1949 Martin 00-18G.

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 AM

There you have it! A suggestion to go with the tenor then, best of both worlds if you want to use a high G or a low G, still have the size you like. As previously mentioned, reentrant sets of strings are made for baritone, but don't really work as planned, in my opinion. Tune them up to G and they're very, very tight, tune them down to D and they're too floppy. Others may have different experience though.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Baritone...being a guitar player I was thinking a larger uke would make for an easier physical transition. I understand baritones are tuned differently than the others. Would you recommend I start with a tenor over a bari?
You know, I think if you stay away from soprano you will have no problem, and even with soprano, it would be quick. Tenor gives you what feels like a lot more neck than a concert, but I think that's simply an illusion.

If you are concerned I would get a tenor. All I know for sure is you'll have a blast. If you want bullet proof, and as close as you can get to a guaranteed well intonated player get a Magic Flea (Fluke or Flea). The Ovation of Ukes. I mean that in a good way. I own one and love it. I also own a Lanikai tenor that is loads of fun.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Bari For Me

In the end, I went for the used Pono Baritone in the link provided above.

I decided I would get a bari to start, then get a tenor if I get hooked. Again, the deeper tone of the bari is more compelling to me at this juncture.

After several hours of research, I found in the $400ish price range the Ponos get the best reviews and sounded best to my ear on videos. The price was right on the used one plus case.

We shall see...

Many thanks to everyone for your input. Much appreciated!

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 PM

That looked like a nice one, and the price to get into it is pretty attractive, so...Good deal! I do hope you like it, please post again, when you get it, with your impressions.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That looked like a nice one, and the price to get into it is pretty attractive, so...Good deal! I do hope you like it, please post again, when you get it, with your impressions.
Will do! Thanks for sharing the link!

You're longing to be
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments