The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Default Epiphone El Segundo Electric Acoustic Bass Guitar

Anyone familiar with this particular acoustic bass?? how does it measure up with some other acoustic models-i prefer accompanying country gospel instrumentals-just a little curious as the the sound of it.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Smokey, I haven't played any examples of that specific model acoustic bass guitar (ABG,) but I have played plenty of other ABG's, and for a while I even owned a Tacoma Thunderchief ABG, considered by many bassplayers to be the best-sounding factory-made ABG ever:

The problem with ABG's is in the physics of trying to get those low notes in an instrument of that size. They just don't have a large enough air cavity to be able to push out those low notes so they can be heard above other instruments. You can use them acoustically with one, maybe two other players, and if you're in a quiet room and everyone's watching their dynamics, an acoustically played ABG can work. But in any sort of loud or semi-loud situation, or with more than a couple of other instruments playing, they simply don't project.

So you have to plug them in, presenting you with the paradox of an acoustic instrument that has to be electrified to be heard.

If you don't mind plugging them in, then, yes, they can have a nice tone and be perfectly serviceable bass guitars. But overall they represent something that SEEMS like it might be a cool idea but which in day to day use is fairly awkward.

Personally, if you want to back up singers in church, I think you're a lot better off getting a Fender Squire bass, which is more practical and portable and probably cost you less money, besides.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 AM

If you're looking at an acoustic bass guitar to accompany church musicians I'll assume that it's roundness and warmth you're after and, as Wade says, there are better ways to achieve that when you're playing amplified; as co-director and resident bassist with a worship team that does a broad variety of music - from subtle reworks of traditional hymns to contemporary material - my main instrument is a Gibson SG Reissue strung with LaBella 49-109 flats. Unlike a typical ABG it's compact and lightweight, the two pickups allow for a wide spectrum of tone (believe it or not, it'll slap-and-pop just fine with the bridge pickup soloed), and the 30" scale not only makes it easier to handle for a converted guitarist but also gives a smoother, less-punchy attack than a 34" scale instrument. There's been a resurgence of interest in short-scale basses in recent years, and not only in the beginners' market: Hofner (who never stopped making them) has introduced several new models in their mid-price Contemporary Series; Gibson, Gretsch and Guild are producing instruments based in whole or in part on their classic designs of the '60s; Ibanez produces a semi-hollow 5-string that's received some good reviews, as well as some low/mid-priced 4-strings; and small-scale makers like Birdsong and Rob Allen produce custom-built pieces priced well into the four-figure bracket. IMO any of these would be a far better - and more practical - choice...
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM

The short scale electric bass with the sweetest tone I've ever encountered is the Hofner "Beatle Bass" with the violin-shaped hollow body. As a rule, I've never cared much for the tone of most short-scaled bass guitars, including the short scale skinny neck Teisco Del Ray bass I keep in my living room for when friends drop by.

But the Hofner is an exception to that general rule, and there are a number of inexpensive copies on the market, including one made by Epiphone, last time I checked.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments