The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobrim View Post
well that makes me feel a bit better. Thanks for the responses. For now where to buy one...
Artisan Guitars in Franklin, TN is top shelf. Most dealers get about the same price for their Nationals, so it really comes down to customer service. If you buy a pickup with your Nat, Artisan will install it *correctly* for free. That saved me $150 on the Magnophonic install. The instrument will arrive set up perfectly for an exceptional out of the box experience. Packaging is as good as it can get. Shipping is free. Bill and Ellie are wonderful people to work with. They move enough National product that their paying customers get some priority on the Nat build schedule. But it's likely they'll have what you want in stock and ready to ship, as they have the largest Nat inventory on hand that I've seen. They also seem to get first crack at the really cool new offerings and prototypes like the Koa Smith and Young spider cone on display at the last NAMM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Default Artisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDobro View Post
Artisan Guitars in Franklin, TN is top shelf. Most dealers get about the same price for their Nationals, so it really comes down to customer service. If you buy a pickup with your Nat, Artisan will install it *correctly* for free. That saved me $150 on the Magnophonic install. The instrument will arrive set up perfectly for an exceptional out of the box experience. Packaging is as good as it can get. Shipping is free. Bill and Ellie are wonderful people to work with. They move enough National product that their paying customers get some priority on the Nat build schedule. But it's likely they'll have what you want in stock and ready to ship, as they have the largest Nat inventory on hand that I've seen. They also seem to get first crack at the really cool new offerings and prototypes like the Koa Smith and Young spider cone on display at the last NAMM.
Thanks for the input i have been talking with them and will order it from them- they seem pretty good- got a bourgeois from them a few months back - going to go with the triolian - just trying to decide 12 or 14 fret
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input i have been talking with them and will order it from them- they seem pretty good- got a bourgeois from them a few months back - going to go with the triolian - just trying to decide 12 or 14 fret
If you want to capo the 2nd fret for open E tuning at anytime then 14 frets would make that a lot easier. Is that the Walnut burst you are going for? Good luck and let us know how you get on.Cheers.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of resonators! It's a wonderful rabbit hole you are jumping into.

I really like the way 12 fret guitars sit. That comfort factor combined with seeing what Kelly Joe Phelps does 'two frets short' is enough for me. Plus the shape is just beautiful.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM

triolian ordered from Artisan - should have it in about a week.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzywest View Post
If you want to capo the 2nd fret for open E tuning at anytime then 14 frets would make that a lot easier. Is that the Walnut burst you are going for? Good luck and let us know how you get on.Cheers.
yeah but are you going to sing way up high to go along with it? Seriously. Listen to someone like Robert Johnson's falsetto. I ain't about that! D and G are fine for me.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
yeah but are you going to sing way up high to go along with it? Seriously. Listen to someone like Robert Johnson's falsetto. I ain't about that! D and G are fine for me.
HaHa, yes my falsetto days ended about 40 years ago
Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM

So close ... Delivery set for tomorrow - any suggestions on a good starter song to start getting a feel for it- one in standard and one in open tuning? Any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Unhappy GAS - Jonesing for a tricone!

I recently tried a great sounding Johnson bell brass tricone in a music store which re-kindled my Jones for a tricone. I've long wanted one ever since a long ago jam in Laurel Canyon with David Crosby and Hoyt Axton. Though I never heard him play his vintage square neck National tricone Hawaiian guitar on stage, he loved to play it at home. His slide was the back edge of an old rusty straight razor and the guitar had a mesmerizing sound.

If you can afford a National tricone, I say go for it. BTW, open tunings are easier to play in than standard tuning. Have fun! As the folks at Big Heart Slides say, "Don't Fret!"

"The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" -
Rahsaan Roland Kirk
"
mike-wilhelm.com

Last edited by Blue Willy; 05-08-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
So close ... Delivery set for tomorrow - any suggestions on a good starter song to start getting a feel for it- one in standard and one in open tuning? Any suggestions?
Hit some used book stores. I've been playing slide, both "spanish" and lap for ever. But just recently I found, dated 1975, Arlen Roth's "Traditional, Country, and electric Slide Guitar" book for $1.24 (it was $2.48 but on the half off rack outside). Those old enough will remember the kind of books that came with a floppy record I learned a thing or two!

You'll periodically run across old Stefan Grossman books (again with the floppy records) used for a buck or two. You can also find some real gems. While not of interest in this particular thread I picked up "The Irish DADGAD guitar book" by Sarah McQuaid. For 98 cents!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 PM

After owning a Regal Tricone and a Regal Duolian (still own) I can say that open tunings are FUN!
Different? Yes!
Intimidating? NO!
Intuitive? Yes!

FUN!

And that's all I have to say about that!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM

I had the same concerns when I took the plunge. I also knew that I would want some type of pick up for amplification. So after some careful research I chose a Goldtone Paul Beard Signature deluxe round neck (PBRD). I purchased the guitar direct from Beard guitars and had them install the Fishman Nashville pick up, adjustable bridge and included the Jerry Douglas Aura box (this a a package deal offered from Beard). This rig is all I will ever need or want that I can see. The sound unplugged is outstanding. Plugged in with the Douglas Aura it has turned heads every where I have played it. I highly recommend purchasing and set up from Beard on this package it arrived perfect!

Worth a good hard look IMO. You'll save several hundred on this rig over just what you'd pay for the National alone.

Good luck on you quest.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

I returned the reso I bought back to Musicians Friend. I just couldn't fit it into what I wanted to do. I used the money to buy another banjo!

Todd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments