The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 11:12 AM

Not for me. Even Martin's relatively new MOL/PA neck with its 1 3/4" nut is still too skinny overall and too thin down just about the entire neck for my tastes.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

I had an epiphany the other day. I was playing a guitar at a music store and was considering buying it. I played it and loved the tones and playability. But I was convinced it had to have a 1 3/4 inch nut in order to buy it. But, I could not tell. So, I asked the sales person to go look it up (cellular service was poor there). It was at this point that I realized that, at least for me, the difference really didn't matter. If I could not tell from playing the guitar that it was one width or the other, then it really must not be that important to me.

I have several guitars with 1 3/4 inch nuts and several with 1 11/16th and I tend to play both equally well (or equally poorly). I was finger picking my D35 last night and it has a 1 11/16th nut. I never skipped a beat.

For others it's hugely important. I play banjo and mandolin and occasionally bass guitar. They all vary so much. I also grew up playing guitars that likely all had 1 11/16th nut widths, or if they didn't, I did not know one way or the other. It was a guitar, so I played it.

It really wasn't until when I joined AGF several years ago that any of these "important" distinctions were revealed to me. Previously, if it was a guitar and sounded good to my ears, I was cool with it.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:51 AM

Only if it was 1/16" too narrow.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:56 AM

Let's imagine there are no hypothetical questions.

In the real world, I would not go looking for that guitar. I've confirmed that I prefer 1.75 and wider. I have a couple of acoustics that are narrower than that. I know what it's like to deal with narrower nut widths, and even though I do, I don't prefer it.

Now if some wish-granting genie handed me the most amazing sounding rosewood b&s 00 or 000 like guitar (the thing I think I'm missing from my accumulation) with a lovely neck other than having a 1 11/16th nut-width, and yes, it has the sound of the angels singing--and genie said: "It yours for a cup of coffee." Yes, I'd buy it.

Not likely to happen. If I did, I'd grumble some about that tricky genie and "there's always a catch..." some days, and I'd prefer to capo it up a couple of frets to get some room for my no longer as flexible fingers when playing it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
Or would you adapt and enjoy ?
Great name for a new band: The Adapters.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:59 AM

Yes, that is why I have to get my guitars made, 1 13/16 nut is hard, impossible, to find in anything but a parlor and I dont like those.
If the body was 1/16 wide difference, that wouldnt matter, length neither.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Great name for a new band: The Adapters.
Would be a good name for a capo.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
If you found a guitar that had a wonderful voice and was very attractive to your eye and was built by a superior builder.....BUT the nut was 1/16 of an inch different than your preference would you reject it ?
Yes, I would. Been there, done that... won't do it again. That's just personal preference though. Most guitarists I've played with care less than I.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

If I’m familiar with the builder and their necks and have owned or played examples of their guitars, then No I would not settle for anything except what I really want.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM

Default Which way?

a 1/16 wider or narrower?

If you had a great price on it. I'm sure your butt would adapt to your slightly slimmer wallet.

Seriously. we are adaptable critters. I think having a narrower widths makes us work more on precise fretting and a wider one builds hand posture. .
Furch Gc-CR Red

ELECTRICS
Gibson Les Paul Custom '68 reissue sunburst
Carvin Bolt
Stratocaster custom build
Schecter Stiletto 5-string bass

Last edited by SkipII; 09-16-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:12 PM

I wouldn't make the purchase myself. I know that I would regret it for such an otherwise perfect guitar. But on an inexpensive guitar that otherwise suits me, I just might do it. In fact, I have done it in the past. My Tanglewood parlor has a 1 and 11/16 in nut which is too skinny for me. But I enjoy the guitar by tuning down and capoing up so there's more room for my fingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Let's imagine there are no hypothetical questions.

In the real world, I would not go looking for that guitar. I've confirmed that I prefer 1.75 and wider. I have a couple of acoustics that are narrower than that. I know what it's like to deal with narrower nut widths, and even though I do, I don't prefer it.

Now if some wish-granting genie handed me the most amazing sounding rosewood b&s 00 or 000 like guitar (the thing I think I'm missing from my accumulation) with a lovely neck other than having a 1 11/16th nut-width, and yes, it has the sound of the angels singing--and genie said: "It yours for a cup of coffee." Yes, I'd buy it.

Not likely to happen. If I did, I'd grumble some about that tricky genie and "there's always a catch..." some days, and I'd prefer to capo it up a couple of frets to get some room for my no longer as flexible fingers when playing it.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

...for me it would depend on what I intended to play on the guitar....if I was wanting a dedicated fingerstyle guitar I would prefer a 1-3/4” nut...I could go a bit wider but not thinner....

...if I wanted a flatpicking guitar I would prefer 1-11/16ths but could go with 1-3/4” if I loved the guitar....and an all rounder could be anything less 1-7/8ths and more than 1-5/8ths....
Old 09-16-2020, 12:29 PM

I play everything from 2" classical guitars to mandolin and 6 string bass. Nut width variations are not a big deal to me.

Neck profile, though, can make or break a guitar. The size, curvature, and amount of shoulder are key elements contributing to comfort or lack thereof.
It's much more difficult to use measurements to decide - I have to play a guitar for a while to know.

So no; I would not reject an instrument outright in most cases.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:51 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I swore I’d stick with 1 3/4”...but broke that vow because a Martin I wanted had 1 11/16”. To my surprise, in just a few days I adapted and no longer felt the difference. But weirdly I’m struggling a bit to adapt to my new J-45, which has a nut slightly wider than 1 11/16”. What the heck? I suspect it’s a combination of the nut width and the beefier neck.

I now have my first boutique guitar arriving tomorrow (a Collings) and you can be sure it has a 1 3/4” nut. As does my custom Martin. So I’m retaking my vow and sticking with 1 3/4” from here on...I think.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:54 PM

I wouldn't buy it. If it's any larger than 1 23/32 I will feel the difference. I've purchased one great guitar with a 1 3/4 nut. I've adapted, but I notice the difference, and I don't play it as freely as my other guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion