The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 08:26 AM

Default There was a relatively high-end builder I saw posted on AGF before

that used a very similar headstock design.

I can't for the life of me remember the name though. I think someone posted an archtop they'd purchased from him, but it's been several months back.

I think it's very interesting, and would love to hear how it sounds.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:29 AM

That's a beautiful looking guitar. It's not my cup of tea being a bit of a traditionalist but for €500 I'd go for it.

The workmanship looks first rate. I'm sure the headstock design will be fine. Very similar to a Casimi.

If you can afford it and like the luthiers vibe, take the plunge...I'm sure it'll sound fabulous. I'm also pretty sure if you decided to sell the guitar at some point in the future you're sure to get your money back.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:34 AM

I can't tell you where I saw it, but I've seen that type of headstock before. My only concerns would be that the headstock design leaves some structural weakness relative to traditional designs in the case of a fall, and the relative difficulty of string changes.

Many of the design features are very modern, and your friend appears to be a very skilled designer/builder. But the craftsmanship I look for in a guitar, regardless of design features, is how well is the purfling/binding mitered. Are there any gaps or tearout from the routing the channels? Are there finish inconsistencies that betray the fact that this is an early build for this person?

And of course... how does it sound when compared to my favorite guitar with (at least relatively) new strings? Does this guitar fill a sonic void in my arsenal?

Lastly, unknown builders make for a difficult resale later down the road. Something to consider should your fascination with the guitar wane over the years.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:36 AM

It looks like the maker does nice work.

I don't understand the trend towards using flat-sawn wood for backs and sides when quarter sawn wood is readily available. Walnut is a domestic wood and readily available quarter sawn. It is a nice wood for guitars and other woodworking projects.

I'm not too concerned about the head being strong enough to take the string pull, though there are certainly design ideas that could increase the strength while retaining his basic concept.

The top does not look like spruce. Not that it matters, but you might want to double-check with the maker what the top wood is.

At $600 it is a very good price. Prior to purchasing it, I'd ensure that it plays well and that the neck angle is okay. I can't see the set of photos at the link you last posted.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:44 AM

Thank you all for the responses and your insight, i did notice some minor cosmetic flaws but at the price point and considering he's doing it for less than a year it's something i can live with.

I'm going to go tomorrow and test it out, make sure things are as they should be and probably take her home. I'd love to share some sound clips with you once i, hopefully, get her in my life. All the woods are solid and he seems to care a lot about his work so I think I already persuaded myself into getting it, thanks for confirming my GAS!
Old 09-16-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It looks like the maker does nice work.

I don't understand the trend towards using flat-sawn wood for backs and sides when quarter sawn wood is readily available. Walnut is a domestic wood and readily available quarter sawn. It is a nice wood for guitars and other woodworking projects.

I'm not too concerned about the head being strong enough to take the string pull, though there are certainly design ideas that could increase the strength while retaining his basic concept.

The top does not look like spruce. Not that it matters, but you might want to double-check with the maker what the top wood is.

At $600 it is a very good price. Prior to purchasing it, I'd ensure that it plays well and that the neck angle is okay. I can't see the set of photos at the link you last posted.
I think it is spruce, but Serbian spruce seems to be a bit different then what you'd find around the globe. Also the fact he is from here means he works with very old tools and not that great of materials because unfortunately the economic power of our country is very low.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:47 AM

Welcome to AGF!

Since you are new, I will tell you that you should heed the input from Charles Tauber...he is VERY knowledgeable and his posts have been quite informative and helpful to me.

I think the guitar looks VERY nice. I am not much drawn to more modern styles like this, but I can appreciate the beauty.

When I buy a guitar, I always contemplate the "worst case scenario". In this instance, it sound like worst case would be: after a few months, you don't like something about the guitar (neck shape, sound, not the right guitar for your emerging style, your tastes changes...whatever) and you stop playing it. Unless it is really a great guitar and you can see it to someone who lives nearby (who can play it and perhaps fall in love with it), you might have trouble selling this as a used guitar, given that the luthier is unknown and the style is not a classic style. So it would appear that the worst case might be that you give the guitar away or sell it for a small fraction of your purchase price, but you continue to feel good about supporting a local artisan. If that sounds acceptable to you, and you continue to like the guitar as you play it and listen to it, it sounds like a good venture.

And, there is always the likelihood that you do much better than worst case.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 AM

I dont like the headstock but I dont like Casimi guitars. The work seems to be 1st class and at that price Id go ahead and buy it then when he has a regular headstock but that one and sell this one, at a loss of course.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:21 PM

I see some upthread analyzing this on economic grounds. Perfectly valid choice, but not the only one.

Similarly I see some wondering about long term ruggedness or design strength.

And yes, beginning builders sometimes need to build a few guitars before hitting their stride from what I read about luthiery.

$600 can be a dear amount for some. For others it is a couple of meals at a fancy restaurant that may no longer be open anyway. The maximum amount a potential buyer would be risking here is $600 though. I can see stressing the resale value or how much you may like an unusual design down the road if this was a $6000 guitar more easily.

Artistically I like the look of the guitar, and the idea of knowing the builder would have value to me--and least the later seems to have value to the OP as well. Of course I'm risking Other People's Money, but my reaction to the thread it "Yes, buy it, and let us know how it sounds and feels to play."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I too wonder about string slippage given the orientation of the tuners. But you should be able to figure that out once the bridge is on and its ready for strings (I couldn't see the final image you posted.....maybe it already has strings on now?).

If it sounds good and plays well, $600 is a steal.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:37 PM

The headstock is unique. It looks thick enough to handle string tension imo. I would personally prefer the slotted type headstock like a classical. I like the wide body and it looks like the depth is pronounced which I like. Looking forward to your follow up.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:01 PM

That is a nice looking but non-traditional guitar, and would likely be fine for $600. You have played his work before and he can set them up to play well, and the neck feels good to you. Go for it!
Old 09-16-2020, 03:29 PM

I'm piling on the positive side.

There are a number of telltales in the photos demonstrating that this builder has good engineering sense and obvious woodworking skills. The headstock tension is drawing into an arch; should be plenty strong. The heastock perimeter sections are thick enough to hold the tuners solidly.

So, IMHO), it comes down to personal preference (play it first) and financial risk (look at your bank account vs. expected expenses).

If your builder is near you, and you're not sure, ask if you can baby-sit it for a month to clarify the decision.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous guitar! I would buy it! Let us know how it sounds.

Ron
Old 09-16-2020, 03:42 PM

If it sounds good, plays well, and the builder is willing to warrant the guitar for a spell (which he should if he’s trying to build a name), the price to me is low enough to justify taking a risk on it. But play it first and get some assurances that the builder will stand behind it.

Most importantly: have fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion