The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-20-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I have seen that many times. I also like the live performances that Clapton, Dave Edmunds, Ringo and George Harrison did with Carl Perkins.

Perkins strikes me as having a blast with these British guys playing his music. Kind of like they were all his rock and roll god children.

There was some of that with Muddy Waters and the younger white artists too, but it was more complicated, of course.
If that Perkins show was the same one I saw on YouTube, George was in heaven playing with Perkins. Also on that show were Rosanne Cash singing, Ringo singing and playing tambourine, with the Stray Cats rhythm section, Lee Rocker and Slim Jim Phantom on bass and drums. Or was that drum, singular?

I think the lineup order L->R was Perkins, Edmunds, Harrison, Clapton, Cash, and Ringo, most of them seated. With Lee and Phantom behind Ringo on the right. With apologies if I missed someone or got it wrong.

I also remember Muddy Waters from the 60s doing the folk circuit in Cambridge and Boston. He appreciated his new and younger white audience and always had time to chat with them between sets. He was a real gentleman. Good Times.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 07-20-2020, 06:12 PM

I'm a big Cash fan and bought the best of the Johnny Cash show on DVD some time ago.

Although I'm not a Clapton fan as such, the thing that stood out for me from what I can remember was the awe he had for Karl Perkins and his playing, which was written all over his face.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
If that Perkins show was the same one I saw on YouTube, George was in heaven playing with Perkins. Also on that show were Rosanne Cash singing, Ringo singing and playing tambourine, with the Stray Cats rhythm section, Lee Rocker and Slim Jim Phantom on bass and drums. Or was that drum, singular?

I think the lineup order L->R was Perkins, Edmunds, Harrison, Clapton, Cash, and Ringo, most of them seated. With Lee and Phantom behind Ringo on the right. With apologies if I missed someone or got it wrong.

I also remember Muddy Waters from the 60s doing the folk circuit in Cambridge and Boston. He appreciated his new and younger white audience and always had time to chat with them between sets. He was a real gentleman. Good Times.

Don
Same show, the seated thing was only part of it. I had forgotten about Rosanne. Perkins says he remembers when she was just a baby. Clapton is smoking a cigarette right next to her, right?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:28 PM

Of all the songs to pick from Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, I'm kinda surprised they went with "It's too late".
Old 07-20-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Anyway, Clapton is one of the greats, regardless of what some malcontents with Internet access would like to have us believe. Thanks for posting the link - that’s the first time I’ve seen it:

Wade Hampton Miller
One of the things I really appreciate about Clapton is how collaborative he is. He clearly loves playing with other musicians he respects. You see this best at his Crossroads Guitar Festival, but also all those all star shows and benefits he has done. He loves to play.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
People wanted him to stay the guitar god blues master. When he outgrew that and wanted to become a pop crooner, people were mostly confused (I dont think he's that good a singer).
That post Layla period was super rough though, having that flop and being a junky for a few years... I think he was just looking for some way to have relevance in the public eye.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:55 PM

After I wrote about folks coming to this forum seemingly for only one reason, to badmouth Eric Clapton’s playing, and my decidedly unimpressed reaction to them, Geof wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof S. View Post
I happen to like Clapton quite a bit, but I disagree with your post on two points:

(1) You state your opinion about Clapton as if it was the only acceptable one. It is not.

(2) You seem to suggest that only people who make gold/platinum albums have a right to express an opinion about Clapton. If that is true, then you presumably have no right to express an opinion about Clapton either.
First of all, Geof, I don’t disagree with your post and I consider it a thoughtful addition to this thread. And it’s true that in the interest of brevity I gave a highly condensed version of how I respond to those Clapton bashers.

What DOES irk me about those badmouthers is that they sneer at Clapton’s technical and musical abilities without offering a shred of justification for why they look down on him, other than an all too obvious contempt that I guess we’re all supposed to share.

No, I don’t think anyone who doesn’t have any gold and platinum records of their own doesn’t have a right to offer any criticism of those who do. But what I am saying that any such criticism is more impressive if the critic’s bonafides have been established first. It’s also more impressive if rather than a random assertion than “Clapton sucks!” some specifics get mentioned - like, what exactly it is about Clapton’s playing that you find lacking?

But the people I’m talking about never seem to write anything that comes even close to conveying that themselves are accomplished musicians. Instead, all of the Clapton haters that have strayed onto this forum have stuck to a sort of reverse image of a fanboy, with no reasons or justifications provided.

So I feel no shame in asking them to provide us with some background on their own experience. It’s true that asking for a list of their gold and platinum records is a taunt, and a rather juvenile one at that. But it saves time!

Seriously, if I ventured forth onto a guitar forum just to sneer at one famous guitarist, if someone asked me for a list of gold records, I would reply, truthfully, that I never remotely reached that level of success, but here are some of the awards I’ve won and tours I’ve played.

If any Clapton-basher were to respond in a similar way I would engage in a respectful conversation with him.

Buy those guys never seem to be interested in respectful, thoughtful discourse - just the opposite.

By the way, I’ve never been a huge Eric Clapton fan. But I give him the respect that he’s due, whether I’m a fan or not, as I do for anyone who’s managed to remain prominent in music over the decades.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-21-2020, 06:15 AM

Well written as always Wade!
FWIW I’m a huge fan of anything/everything Clapton.
What a body/history of work.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm trying not to get into this. I understand people bashing artists. And it isn't valid without giving a quantifying point or two, in my opinion. It appears to me that often newer or following generations do not comprehend the context in which an artist became notable. No matter what the art. Like Hendrix does the rock guitar thing and Norman Blake has got the flat picking schtick down. It's like saying the first person that went into space really didn't do much. Often it's naive and the world has to constantly deal with naivety. And we are all naive at times.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-21-2020, 11:11 AM

I’m in my 70’s and liked Clapton back when, and still do to this day. As someone stated earlier, I respect any musician in any genre that can remain relevant for decades.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
One of the things I really appreciate about Clapton is how collaborative he is. He clearly loves playing with other musicians he respects. You see this best at his Crossroads Guitar Festival, but also all those all star shows and benefits he has done. He loves to play.
I like that about Clapton too. He always seems to enjoy playing with others and sharing the stage, and sharing the music without demanding the spotlight. Here's a stage full of 'em at Crossroads.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:51 PM

I love him here (along with everyone else. Talk about all star bands . . . )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEoZfu-XNZc
Old 07-22-2020, 08:58 AM

Wow, first time Ive heard that. Pretty weak in my opinion but interesting in terms of history.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I was just a young kid during Clapton's heyday, but use to love listening to my older brother's albums. Try as I might, I could never get that "Clapton" sound out of the no-name electric guitar my parents had bought for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN