The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-29-2020, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Dan Fogelberg

I’m sure many of you who are fans of Dan Fogelberg are aware of the Carnegie Hall performance that was released on CD by Jean Fogelberg a few years ago. Until a few days ago, I was not.

https://www.danfogelberg.com/live-at-carnegie-hal

“Song from Half-Mountain” is better than the studio version. This is a great record, and the whole story of how it came to be is pretty neat.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I had not heard of that...thanks for sharing!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Head slap...I am a Dan fan and was not aware of this release...geez. OK gona get a copy. Scarecrows Dream, Ol' Tennessee are favorites. Souvenirs is AMAZing...He could play and sing.....miss his music.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proclaimer888 View Post
Head slap...I am a Dan fan and was not aware of this release...geez. OK gona get a copy. Scarecrows Dream, Ol' Tennessee are favorites. Souvenirs is AMAZing...He could play and sing.....miss his music.
Yes. This performance really demonstrates that he could play and sing. I feel like I found a lost treasure! It’s his 70’s music (and High Country Snows) that has always appealed to me most, and this 1979 concert really demonstrates that part of his skillset. One person with a piano, guitar, and a pile of great original songs.

I think this has already become my favorite Fogelberg record.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:04 PM

Wow I had lost track of him and didn't realize he was dead. I really liked his first album with Tim Weisberg, Twin Sons of Different Mothers. He kind of got typecast as a too sensitive singer of girl songs, but he could rock out when he wanted to.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
I’m sure many of you who are fans of Dan Fogelberg are aware of the Carnegie Hall performance that was released on CD by Jean Fogelberg a few years ago. Until a few days ago, I was not.

“Song from Half-Mountain” is better than the studio version. This is a great record, and the whole story of how it came to be is pretty neat.

Funny thing, I just found out about this too a couple days ago from perusing his website, which His wife keeps updated. I’m going to buy the LP version. I am woodshedding on his songs currently...there is guy on Udemy that teaches a bunch of his songs.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Funny thing, I just found out about this too a couple days ago from perusing his website, which His wife keeps updated. I’m going to buy the LP version. I am woodshedding on his songs currently...there is guy on Udemy that teaches a bunch of his songs.
I believe Pete Hutlinger has a dvd/tab lesson for Dan as well. I own a couple of Pete's John Denver lessons....most highly recommended. RIP Pete
Old 05-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post

Dang....CD is "unavailable" at this time. Just read some reviews...a must have.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I believe Pete Hutlinger has a dvd/tab lesson for Dan as well. I own a couple of Pete's John Denver lessons....most highly recommended. RIP Pete
I have both DVD volumes by Pete. I plan to tackle them again after The Udemy course I started four years ago. The guy on Udemy teaches “The Reach,” one of my favorites.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:42 PM

I've got his collaboration with Tim Wiseberg and its a treasure. Dan takes me back to the era of singers that paint a picture with words that just flow easily.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I have both DVD volumes by Pete. I plan to tackle them again after The Udemy course I started four years ago. The guy on Udemy teaches “The Reach,” one of my favorites.
I just ordered both of these. I’ve played Leader of the Band for years. Longer is an easy one to learn note-for-note, and I’m finding it not too difficult adapt to a solo guitar piece.

Alas, I find that singing Dan is more difficult that playing his (quite wonderful) guitar parts. His falsetto in his younger years is really special. I’m working on it. I think he actually struggled with it after he got up into hit late thirties or so, though he remained a very good singer.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dang....CD is "unavailable" at this time. Just read some reviews...a must have.
I downloaded mine to iTunes - though the LP looks appealing with all the artwork and notes. Like the good, old days!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

The CD is on ebay.

$150.00...

-Mike
Old 05-29-2020, 07:33 PM

Thanks for posting this! I didn't know about it either. Fortunately, it's on Spotify.

I saw Dan several times from solo to full band. Always hated the magnetic sound of his acoustics (sunrise pickup I believe). It was especially clear when Janis Ian opened one of the show with her black Taylor which sounded fantastic. But Dan was always great, so it didn't really matter.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:20 PM

He was a truly accomplished musician, songwriter and vocalist - he brought it all. His music always transports me back.

Last edited by dwalton; 05-30-2020 at 05:35 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Tags
dan fogelberg