The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Mic for acoustic LIVE!!

I just got a Webber 12 fret. It does not have a pick up and I really don't want to put one in it. Keep it acoustic. That being said there will be a few times when I'd like to gig with it. It would be a gig where I'd be the only player and singer and would have time to do a good sound check. Now, if I want to use a mic in front of it...what would be the best way to do that. Is a Sure SM57 just run to a board good enough? Or, should I get a mic that requires phantom power and run it thru some type of preamp? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I just got a Webber 12 fret. It does not have a pick up and I really don't want to put one in it. Keep it acoustic. That being said there will be a few times when I'd like to gig with it. It would be a gig where I'd be the only player and singer and would have time to do a good sound check. Now, if I want to use a mic in front of it...what would be the best way to do that. Is a Sure SM57 just run to a board good enough? Or, should I get a mic that requires phantom power and run it thru some type of preamp? Thanks for any help!
It depends a lot on how you'll monitor yourself.

(If you have a floor-wedge,,, or have your mains angled slightly inward,,, or an amp behind you, or beside you.)
Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Default it could be two.

Well, sometimes I'd have my amp behind me. But, sometimes (not as often) I would be using wedge monitors in front of me.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM

I've only been doing this for a few years, but what I'm learning is that unless I'm really looking to express every nuance of my playing and I have a manageable stage volume and monitoring system, using an inexpensive dynamic for my guitar mic can work well.

For instance I've used my Shure SM57, EV N/D 767A, and Blue enCore 100 which are all dynamics under $130. And they sound fine. Here's a couple vid's using the Blue enCore 100's for the two guitar players... http://www.david-j-lane.com/
Old 02-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Musical minimalist

Blue Encore 100i's are on sale on Amazon for 70.00 right now....based on the 100 vocal mic I have, I bet it would be a great dynamic mic for acoustic reproduction.

A lot of folks will laugh at this, but by far the biggest bang for the buck I've ever experienced in a small diaphragm condenser is the Behringer C2 - you get a pair of mics, a stereo bar, clips, windscreens and a box to keep them in for 60.00 shipped. I did a few gigs about a year ago with just the mics and no pickup in a relatively noisy restaurant and they were really, really nice. I've done a lot of recording with them recently as well......actually just been using one lately as it's easier to "play around" one mic and get the best position.

I've owned a lot of mics that were 7-8 times more money that didn't perform much better.....

Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 PM

I've had the same Shure SM57 for about 20 years, durable and reliable. I find it ok for acoustics, better for vocals. Recently got a Blue mic, (the blue one), which has much better fidelity for amplifying my Martin, sans pickup.
Many stores like Guitar Center will let you sample them side by side for comparison, if you can find a quiet enough space. Good luck!!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 PM

IMO the SM57 sounds completely nasty on acoustic guitar. Check out the thread ..."Tired of acoustic pickups. Need mic suggestions" thread by Punchy. He's done a recording using two Heil PR35's that sounds really good. I've been using a Heil for a while...way better than SM57. Clear, natural sound. Good feedback rejection. I can see using one for live soloing unless you're needing huge volume.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

IMHO the SM57 can sound fantastic on acoustic guitar if you have a good sound system and a sound mixer who knows what he is doing. One sound engineer i work with regularly gets really great sounding acoustics with just a 57. If you don't have those things though, it can also sound pretty bad.

A condenser mic will be a little more "idiot proof" - easier to get a good sound with if you don't have a great system or a great sound guy - but they are more sensitive and therefore much more prone to feedback than a 57. If you can play at lower volumes and avoid feedback though they can sound really really awesome. The Kel HM-3C is one of my absolute favorite acoustic guitar mics; I believe they go for about $250 new and sound amazing.

-Mike
Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 AM

I use the AKG C1000 which is reasonably affordable and built like a tank. It is relatively easy to EQ through positioning. It offers a decent mid range tone which is great for accompaniment to singing. I tend to blend with my pickup (about 25% if I have no feedback) to just add a little at the top. I attach the mic to my main mic stand using an adaptor.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 AM

Bravo on not wanting to get a pick up system. Even with my limited experience I know they just do not do a very good job. All my guitars have them but I use mic's to record. Everything about an acoustic seems to get lost to me with the built in crap.

OK Dynamic vs Condenser? Are you playing at Carnegie Hall or a bar? If the 1st then yea a condenser (the one with phantom power) but a bar? Does it really matter? SM57 all the way.

It was mentioned by another poster about your sound guy. That is really one aspect that cannot be overlooked. I have an associate who is a sound engineer to the level of touring with top tier bands. Stones Clapton and on and on. He does not do Studio stuff because not his expertise. But with my home studio he tweaked stuff that blew my mind.

My points are unless you are a professional sound engineer with real skills many comments above are nothing more than "anecdotal" as such how should I say incorrect. I go on to suspect that some who say "oh this mic works this mic doesn't would get "dusted" by an expert. Just because something does not work for me does not mean it sucks. The long and the short is it might be my problem or your problem.

Oh once again what is the mainstay of live music and that would include recording? Yea SM57. I don't work for Sure and there are better mic's but if you can't do it with a SM57 maybe you should not comment?

Just some thoughts, I don't mean to a jerk.
Cordoba Solista CE CD/IN
Cordoba Fusion 14RS
Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II HoneyBurst
Fender Standard Stratocaster Gold
Fender Standard Telecaster Lake Placid Blue
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Burst
Ibanez GRGA 42 TRB
Ibanez GRGA 32 WHT
Ibanez SR300 Grey
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Make it simple and get yourself a large condenser mic and use it for both guitar and vocals.

Most p.a. systems will have phantom power.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 AM

I prefer a condenser mic for live performance, it is just that much easier to tame and will not get in the way of vocals as much. I tend to prefer a smaller condenser but the new generation of larger mice have a lot to offer — we're not talking about the large behemoths but some of the medium size mics that are now being used by players like Eric Skye.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:32 PM

I personally like the Beta 57 over the SM57 and there's not much difference in price. I know it's more for studio, but a CAD M179 sounds great on a guitar. I don't see why you couldn't use it live unless you had problems with feedback.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM

Generally,,, for "live" applications,,, I tend to go for a mic that will deliver the tone I need, with the fewest potential risks. A good super-cardioid dynamic is generally my preference. It really depends on what's going on around you. The placement of the mic will be far more important than what type of mic you choose.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM

Feedback is your enemy with condenser mics, generally although they do sound better. Condensors should stay in the studio. The 57 has always been the standard, not necessarily the cheapest or the best, but bullet proof in the reliability department. IMHO, the Blue Encore series rocks the 57 in price/performance and you should look there first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification