The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-29-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Other Than Cordoba

What are some other decent classical guitars other than Cordoba in the $1000 price range? I tend to prefer Japanese over Spanish but I'm open to suggestions. I do have experience with Pavan and found them quite good but a little over budget unless I can find a used one. MUST have ebony fretboard.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:41 PM

Default Takamine C132S

Consider the Takamine C132S, 1099.00 with a decent case.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:28 PM

Marlon Navarro builds a nice all-solid wood classical in that price range. His father's (Franciso) classicals are priced higher.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
What are some other decent classical guitars other than Cordoba in the $1000 price range? I tend to prefer Japanese over Spanish but I'm open to suggestions. I do have experience with Pavan and found them quite good but a little over budget unless I can find a used one. MUST have ebony fretboard.
I have the La Patrie Etude - love it. Although NOT ebony.... great tone and playability.

https://godinguitars.com/product-cat...coustics/nylon
Old 09-29-2020, 05:55 PM

Kremona Romida? $1199.

specs: https://www.kremonausa.com/en/artist...romida-kremona

demo:

Old 09-29-2020, 09:02 PM

The list is large. New World Player (used) and Estudio guitars by Kenny Hill. Think about buying used.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
Consider the Takamine C132S, 1099.00 with a decent case.
I bought a used Takamine for $500 in 1992. It was a great guitar. All of my instructors have said, "You got a good guitar."

I no longer play it and it's only because the frets are worn down.

To the OP, a Takamine would be a solid choice.

Last edited by Su_H.; 09-30-2020 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I like Cervantes Concert series if you’re ok with used.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:08 AM

Skip,

Just curious as to why any guitar other then a Cordoba in that price range you stated? Also why your preference to Japanese models vs Spanish?

Back in the 70's I owned a sweet Hiroshi Tamura C40 Flamenco with rosewood tuning pegs. That guitar was a real work of art. It was Japanese cypress back and side and cedar top, ebony fingerboard. It was so light in weight you could hang it off of a pinky finger with ease. And the sound and projection was awesome. In the day (late 60's/70's) Yamaha or Takamine couldn't hold a candle to a Tamura guitar.

I currently own a beautiful Spanish made Amailo Burguet. Although a new one will run you a tad more then a grand. Roughly twice that amount.

Dollar for dollar I like my Cordoba C10 Parlor. It has a narrower nut width then most and the neck radius is similar to crossovers. Makes for easier playing and the sound is nice.

If you are looking for a standard Spanish shape and build 650mm scale and 51mm nut... do a google search and you will find Burguet's just under a grand plus shipping. The one thing I love about the Burguet's is that it's still a small family owned and run business Like Hiroshi Tamura's shop. No large factory. It's him, his son and his daughter and a few apprentices.

I noticed you own a Godin Multiac. Are you looking for a classical (nylon) with electronics? Or Just a standard classical?

Last edited by Always Learning; 10-01-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
Skip,

Just curious as to why any guitar other then a Cordoba in that price range you stated? Also why your preference to Japanese models vs Spanish?

Back in the 70's I owned a sweet Hiroshi Tamura C40 Flamenco with rosewood tuning pegs. That guitar was a real work of art. It was Japanese cypress back and side and cedar top, ebony fingerboard. It was so light in weight you could hang it off of a pinky finger with ease. And the sound and projection was awesome. In the day (late 60's/70's) Yamaha or Takamine couldn't hold a candle to a Tamura guitar.

I currently own a beautiful Spanish made Amailo Burguet. Although a new one will run you a tad more then a grand. Roughly twice that amount.

Dollar for dollar I like my Cordoba C10 Parlor. It has a narrower nut width then most and the neck radius is similar to crossovers. Makes for easier playing and the sound is nice.

If you are looking for a standard Spanish shape and build 650mm scale and 51mm nut... do a google search and you will find Burguet's just under a grand plus shipping. The one thing I love about the Burguet's is that it's still a small family owned and run business Like Hiroshi Tamura's shop. No large factory. It's him, his son and his daughter and a few apprentices.

I noticed you own a Godin Multiac. Are you looking for a classical (nylon) with electronics? Or Just a standard classica
l?
Why other than Cordoba? They're OK - I owned a GK Studio for a while and it was very nice. I also ordered a C10 Crossover and sent it back immediately as I didn't care for the smaller, arched fingerboard. I much preferred the Pavan TP30 that I had previously. I also used to own a Burguet (forget the model) and it was a wonderful guitar but I couldn't get the action low enough to suit me (I'm more of a Chet/Jerry Reed player and like it lower than most classical players).

Really nothing against the Spanish builders but I think the Japanese builders may be a bit more consistent in their workmanship...maybe not but just my take on it. There's a bunch of Spanish builders out there to sort through and anything I buy must be online as there are no local stores except big box and almost NO classical guitars except lower end stuff. My dream guitar would be the Pavan Flamenco Negra but it's a little above my price range and there are no used ones around. If Cordoba offered a flamenco negra without electronics, I'd seriously take a look. The search is young so I'll keep looking but I have a feeling that I'll end up with a flamenco negra before it's over.

As to the Godin - it's a nice guitar with great action and good amplified sound but, due to lack of gigs and my age, I'm thinking of putting all the electric stuff away and just concentrating on acoustic music from now on. I have good acoustics (Martin and Brook) but feel the need for a decent classical in the arsenal.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Why other than Cordoba? They're OK - I owned a GK Studio for a while and it was very nice. I also ordered a C10 Crossover and sent it back immediately as I didn't care for the smaller, arched fingerboard.

Really nothing against the Spanish builders but I think the Japanese builders may be a bit more consistent in their workmanship...maybe not but just my take on it. There's a bunch of Spanish builders out there to sort through and anything I buy must be online as there are no local stores except big box and almost NO classical guitars except lower end stuff. My dream guitar would be the Pavan Flamenco Negra but it's a little above my price range and there are no used ones around. If Cordoba offered a flamenco negra without electronics, I'd seriously take a look. The search is young so I'll keep looking but I have a feeling that I'll end up with a flamenco negra before it's over.

As to the Godin - it's a nice guitar with great action and good amplified sound but, due to lack of gigs and my age, I'm thinking of putting all the electric stuff away and just concentrating on acoustic music from now on. I have good acoustics (Martin and Brook) but feel the need for a decent classical in the arsenal.
The only Cordoba C10 with an arched fingerboard is the Crossover Model. The original C10 (standard Spanish) and the C10 Parlor both have the typical flat
Spanish style fingerboards. I opted for the Parlor model because of the sort of narrower nut and shorter scale length. I have severe nerve damage in my left hand and arm which make playing longer the 30 minutes difficult on a full sized guitar.

As for Japanese made classical guitars. I think you will find that a majority of them are now manufactured in Korea, China, Taiwan and Indonesia. The only truly "Made In Japan" ("spanish" style) classical models would be the ones that sell for over 2 grand and up. Takamine and Yamaha all have shops in all or several of these other Asian countries.

My Cordoba is spot on in every aspect of build quality, all solid wood and the action is perfect. And it has a flat ebony fingerboard too. I can play that guitar longer then 30 minutes without much pain.

I take it you are familiar with "Reverb's" site... you will find some good used one there and even "Vintage" Japanese small shop makes such as the Tamura brothers made.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Skip, have you considered buying a Córdoba GK Pro Negra and having the electronics removed?

Or maybe email Córdoba and ask if they can make you one with no electronics?

For me, The Córdoba GK Pro Negra is a sweet sounding instrument that is easy to play. To my ears The Córdoba GK Pro Blanca has a snappier sound, which I prefer replaying Jerry Reed tunes. The Blanca also weighs less than the Negra. My ears, the Negra has fuller, deeper Bass tones than the Blanca.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Please explain why: "Other Than Cordoba" ..Is it that you already own one ?
Or, do you have a preconceived idea of them ? You can get a C10, all solid wood and ebony board 'out of box' for about $1k... M
Old 10-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinLA View Post
Please explain why: "Other Than Cordoba" ..Is it that you already own one ?
Or, do you have a preconceived idea of them ? You can get a C10, all solid wood and ebony board 'out of box' for about $1k... M
Just looking for alternates - I owned a Cordoba GK Studio for quite some time and liked it; I ordered a C10 Crossover and sent it back immediately - very uncomfortable to play for me. Both had narrower nuts so not sure of the reason unless it was the smaller body of the GK Studio. I've had many other full sized classicals that I didn't have problems with. My main requirements besides price is 1.) NO electronics and 2.) must have an ebony fingerboard. A cutaway without electronics would be good, too, but they're hard to find.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:49 PM
Guest 928

You might want to look at the Kremona instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical