The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-26-2020, 12:11 PM

Default Seeking Opinion on this Ziricote back set..

I purchased a Ziricote set and when it arrived, it wasn't as described. The were large cracks which were not circled or mentioned. So the seller is sending me another back set. I wouldn't use this flawed set for a customer guitar so decided I'd use it for myself on an experimental guitar which will be slimmer as I am also using a set of cracked sides that will only allow for 3.5" depth.

So I'm seeking opinions on how to work with this cracked set.. my first thought was to epoxy fill and likely add a strip inside to cover the cracked area. But when I started really looking at it I thought I could also cut out a 3/4" strip out of it removing the part that's cracked and gluing it back together. Looks like the strip I'd remove would be inside one of the grain veins and I think it might blend in quite well when glued back together.. worst case is I'd see the line.

So what would you do?? Epoxy or cut it out and glue back together??

I want to add photos but can't seem to find where I can do so..
Old 09-26-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdave1 View Post
I want to add photos but can't seem to find where I can do so..
Hi Dave... right HERE. As a registered user, you have two choices... either the Tapatalk app for mobile devices or a third-party host like Imgur. PM me if you have trouble.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:05 PM

Couldn't add photos, Tapatalk requires a membership and I don't feel like spending money..

Anyways I ended up removing a strip and re glueing the back pieces with great success, cant even tell where the joints are as i was able to match up the grain very well.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdave1 View Post
Couldn't add photos, Tapatalk requires a membership and I don't feel like spending money..
I could be wrong - Kerbie could advise - but I’m fairly sure that you’re already a member of Tapatalk by virtue of your membership of this forum.

Another option would be to become a forum Charter-Member, which only costs $25 per year. Then, as well as having the facility to post photos direct here from your computer/tablet/phone, you’d have the satisfaction of knowing that you’re helping to enable the forum’s continuing existence.

Just a thought?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 09-27-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Tapatalk is a social-networking app that provides you mobile access to over 200,000 forums. They offer two apps, the free version and a pro version for $9.99. All you need is the free version. It's my understanding that using their app does not require a fee, but I'll double-check this.

Regardless of Tapatalk's rules, you may still use a third-party host. Imgur is probably the most popular of these sites here on the AGF. If you don't like these two free methods, the only other possibility is to become a charter member here. I hope that's an option everyone would consider since it helps us keep the lights on and pay the rent. And $25 a year is quite reasonable to become a member of a community like ours.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for that, Kerbie.

I have the app and occasionally use it - I don’t have to pay anything for it.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-27-2020, 08:00 AM

So i was able to make it work on my tablet without needing to pay, my phone is a different story.. i dunno..

Anyway here are a few photos. The first one shows what i was planning on cutting out. The two close-ups are the cracks and the last photo is how it turned out... very happy that I cut it out and didn't epoxy fill. Ill add a strip on the joints on the inside for renforcement
Old 09-27-2020, 08:24 AM

Nice job.Thats a good way to handle a problem like that. Great looking set of Z.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:19 AM

You did a nice job of matching the grain.

Is the "finished" photo with the joints glued, or not yet glued. If glued, the joints aren've very tight, as evidenced by the black glue line on the right side and upper portion of the left. A good joint would be invisible, with only a discontinuity in grain to distinguish it.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You did a nice job of matching the grain.

Is the "finished" photo with the joints glued, or not yet glued. If glued, the joints aren've very tight, as evidenced by the black glue line on the right side and upper portion of the left. A good joint would be invisible, with only a discontinuity in grain to distinguish it.
Its not glued in that photo, just butted against each other
Old 09-28-2020, 09:21 AM

Here it is glued
Old 09-28-2020, 09:26 AM

Oooh - that is going to be sweet!!!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:46 AM

Man! Ziricote really is a stunning wood. I have never used it and don't have any in stock. But it's spectacular looking for sure.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:10 PM

Its a very eye-catching wood but its also prone to cracking hence the nickname Mexican crackwood.. but seems to be pretty stable once its dry.. I have a few sets and have been building 2 at the same time.. both bent very well but the cutaway was a bit more difficult. I bent them on a hot pipe style bender with no water.

Its super heavy so definitely will not make a light guitar. Its very dense, is pretty oily and makes a mess of the drum sander paper very fast as it gums up the paper almost immediately unless you take the slightest passes.

Tap tone is nice but would have been better had I gone thinner but its already crack prone so I didn't go any thinner then .110" before final sanding..

Old 09-29-2020, 02:07 PM

I don't have any difinitive proof that this works but what I do with BRW and Wenge which are both prone to cracking wash with thin CA and then pore fill with medium. I figure it's got to help keep the wood fibers together but that's my hypothesis anyway. And CA makes a nice quick pore fill too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair