The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-29-2003, 09:04 PM

Default Pickup for non-X-brace

I really like the K&K Pure Western or the B-Band I-Beam but it seems that both of them are only suitable for X-brace quitars. I have an Ovation 1111 w/o electronics and is not a X-brace. I need a pickup for stage use. Am I stucked with the only choice which is the UST? (Yeah, I know, some of you will say using a mic or better still, getting an ES Taylor.......but for the time being I'll go for the pickup route.)

Have any of you tried the K&K FanTaStick Western? How does it compare with the B-Band UST or the LRBaggs Element Active System?

Is the sound acceptable with just the FanTaSick w/o any preamp (the K&K website said it's ok)? Anyone tried that combining with a K&K Pure Preamp?

If I do need a preamp (well, unfortunately, the LRBaggs PADI is too expensive for me at this time since I do plan to get a Taylor with ES in the near future.) The K&K FanTaStick + Pure Preamp seems to be a very cost-effective combination, considering the constraints I have as stated above. What do you think?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:34 AM

email dieter at K&K. I emailed him concerneing installation in a Breedlove guitar and he informed of a triangular pattern then use for Breedlove. Who knows maybe they use the classic for the Ovation fan brace, not sure but Deiter will be able to tell you fo' sure.

Go SPURS Go
Old 10-30-2003, 09:55 AM

i wouldn't use a mic for your ovation, well at least i wouldn't mine, it sounds like crap unless i use the preamp, so plan on getting some kind of preamp for whatever you use....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification