The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Default 2008 R. Taylor Style 1 SOLD Adirondack/East Indian RW

I'm simply running out of space, and I'm selling a couple of guitars that I don't play very often. Up first is this wonderful R.Taylor. If you don't already know, these were a precursor to the Taylor BTO program. Bob Taylor's idea was to steal the very best artisans from the neighboring Taylor Factory using the very best woods and materials available to make the best Taylor guitars that they could possibly make. The result was the R. Taylor.

This particular R.Taylor has a very well quartered set of East Indian Rosewood and one of the nicest Adirondack tops I've seen bound in Cocobolo. It also has an EIR backstrap headstock overlay that I think is a necessity to have on one of these, for not all of them have it.

String Spacing measured at 2 7/32" at the bridge using my limited measuring skills. Nut is 1 3/4".

This guitar had an incident that I must convey, however it has since been fixed and repaired, and it is in perfect playing condition. The incident occurred about 7 years ago when my daughter was 9 at the time. It was late, kids were in bed, so I took out my guitar to play and set it on a chair in our dining room all to quickly retrieve my tuner from a small alcove nearby. I then heard the crashing sustain of the guitar dropping on the hardwood floor. It was dark, my daughter had gotten up to look for me, and she had brushed against the chair causing it to fall off. The ending result was a splinter about an 1" long, a small gouge in the binding and a bent tuner peg. I was no doubt devastated, but obviously there was nothing I could do. It was my fault for leaving it in such a precarious position, but to this day, my daughter feels bad about it.

I've kept it in my humidified modified closet (I call it my Guitarmidore!), and didn't fix it until about 3 years ago. I drove it down to El Cajon, CA and the people at Taylor did a great job doing what they could considering the missing splinter from the top of the guitar. The one thing Taylor forgot to do was fix some of the finish checking on the very top of the headstock, so I recently took it to a local certified Taylor/Martin repairperson, and she made it a little bit better but was afraid to go further for fear of getting into the wood. The splinter is located on the right lower bout as you are looking at the top of the guitar from the attached pictures. The last 2 photos, I will demonstrate the repairs/issues.

Considering the horror of the above scenario, the guitar itself plays effortlessly, sounds incredible, is meticulously built and has been repaired and set up ready to sing to you. It has a L.R.Baggs Lyric pickup installed and comes in an embroidered R.Taylor logo Ameritage case along with all the R.Taylor literature and case candy. SOLD includes shipping CONUS.

The splinter repair as seen in the sun. Look for it on the far right near the binding.

The small amount of "finish checking" at the top of the headstock. Taylor was supposed to fix it properly, but apparently nobody looks at the top of the headstock.

Last edited by nootis; 02-07-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:41 PM

Very nice! Kudos to you for the in-depth explanation of repairs, you can barely see the splinter.

R. Taylor used the best woods that were available and your Adirondack top looks spectacular. Good luck with the sale!
Old 10-24-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Smile What Bacchus said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
Very nice! Kudos to you for the in-depth explanation of repairs, you can barely see the splinter.

R. Taylor used the best woods that were available and your Adirondack top looks spectacular. Good luck with the sale!
My RT blurb:

R. Taylor was Bob Taylor's personal guitar playground. And was actually a completely separate company from Taylor Guitars.

It truly was a small shop just outside of a huge factory! I was fortunate to get a couple tours of the R.T. Shop when commissioning a couple of special instruments. Bob had a small team of six of Taylor's most experienced luthiers, headed by my dear friend Tim Luranc, build about 200 guitars a YEAR for six years for a total of about 1,200. In contrast, The two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per DAY.

R. Taylor was a luthier's dream while it lasted. All the advantages of the world-class Taylor factory, and all the time necessary to build world-class Luthier style guitars. Nice to be able to walk next-door and help yourself to the cream of Bob's super wood stash! Or the most beautiful abalone.... R.Ts luthiers spent three times as much time on each instrument as Taylor does! Time to hand select the wood, tap tune the pieces, shave the braces, etc. The workmanship is flawless.

Unfortunately they turned out to be in unintended competition with the Taylor Custom Shop.
I have it on good authority that if they ever reopen R. Taylor the guitars will be a LOT more expensive!!!

I hope this helps!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-24-2021, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post

Thank you!

You are correct, it's hardly noticeable if you don't know its there. I made sure to get it in the sun in order to capture a photo of it. The Folks at Taylor really did an excellent job repairing it.

It really is a gem of a guitar, and it's in tip top shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
My RT blurb:

R. Taylor was Bob Taylor's personal guitar playground. And was actually a completely separate company from Taylor Guitars.

It truly was a small shop just outside of a huge factory! I was fortunate to get a couple tours of the R.T. Shop when commissioning a couple of special instruments. Bob had a small team of six of Taylor's most experienced luthiers, headed by my dear friend Tim Luranc, build about 200 guitars a YEAR for six years for a total of about 1,200. In contrast, The two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per DAY.

R. Taylor was a luthier's dream while it lasted. All the advantages of the world-class Taylor factory, and all the time necessary to build world-class Luthier style guitars. Nice to be able to walk next-door and help yourself to the cream of Bob's super wood stash! Or the most beautiful abalone.... R.Ts luthiers spent three times as much time on each instrument as Taylor does! Time to hand select the wood, tap tune the pieces, shave the braces, etc. The workmanship is flawless.

Unfortunately they turned out to be in unintended competition with the Taylor Custom Shop.
I have it on good authority that if they ever reopen R. Taylor the guitars will be a LOT more expensive!!!

I hope this helps!!!

Paul
Indeed it does Paul!

I think you might have seen this guitar prior to me dropping it off at Taylor for the repair. I bought an orange Main Stage case from you and picked it up from your house. Hopefully that rings a bell I hope all is well with you and yours. Thanks for chiming in!
Old 10-27-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Bump for a fantastic guitar!
Old 10-30-2021, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Price lowered by $300, now $3500. Open for trades as well.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Smile Oh yes....

"I think you might have seen this guitar prior to me dropping it off at Taylor for the repair. I bought an orange Main Stage case from you and picked it up from your house. Hopefully that rings a bell I hope all is well with you and yours. Thanks for chiming in!"

No wonder it looks familiar! I recall it sounded and played great!!! Now it is even prettier, too.

If I was not overloaded I would be seriously considering this sweetheart.

All is well here , and I hope the same for you and yours.

Best on this

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-10-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Let's bump this up for some new eyes!
Old 11-23-2021, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Pre-Turkey bump.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Back to the top with this beauty.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Bumping this up so Santa can see. Have had some interest, but it's still with me.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

While I haven't bumped, I've had a handful of onlookers ask more detailed questions. This wonderful guitar is still available.... For now.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:03 AM

I have a 2006 R Taylor type 1 - Englemann over Cocobolo - and it somehow sounded a bit off, slightly veiled and dead somehow. Sent it back to the fine folks at Taylor and fortunately, Tim Luranc ended up taking care of it and gave it a full setup.
I live in Canada, so the poor guitar initially had a convoluted and tortured journey up here which explains why it was not quite what I'd hoped for.

When it came back.....wow! I still have this guitar and will never sell it!!

These guitars are something special indeed.
Froggy Bottom P12
Collings OM2H
SCGC Parlour
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo
Danocaster Tele
Heritage H535/Bareknuckles
Taylor T5 Custom
Contreras nylon
Old 02-07-2022, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

The guitar is sold. Thank you AGF!!
Closed Thread