The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 04:52 PM

Question Yamaha FS3 vs LS16

Howdy folks,

Was about to pull the trigger on the new Yamaha FS3. But earlier today I ran across the LS16. I noticed a couple differences like rosewood, poly, vs mahogany, nitro, along with a few others.

I could not find a side by side review of these to similarly priced, all-wood Yamahas. I don't have access to either, so I was hoping to hear from knowledgeable folks here to gain some insight as to which direction to go.

Any information, suggestions, or advice on these two would be greatly appreciated! TIA
Old 11-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about the new Red Label models but found the L series to have a rather narrow nut and string spacing...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I don't know about the new Red Label models but found the L series to have a rather narrow nut and string spacing...
LS = 1 3/4"
FS = 1 3/4"
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

Last edited by Beakybird; 11-17-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:14 PM

I can't really help you on the FS3 but here are my impressions of the LS16.
Very balanced and clear sounding.
Each note rings out clearly and loudly.
It is deeper than most OM sized guitars and actually has a nice bass presence but won't have the thump of a D sized guitar.
It does seem to get jumbled up with hard strumming but can take a softer touch very well.
I notice no difference at the first few frets with string spacing compared to the 1 11/16" D28, FG700 or the LG2. I think Yamaha specs say 44mm which is right between 3/4 and 11/16.
I do notice a big difference with the right hand while finger picking at the sound hole compared to an FS8xx with the LS being more spaced out. Don't know about the FS3 tho.
The LS is a great guitar to me and gets about 66% of my play time.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 11-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
LS = 1 3/4"
FS = 1 11/16"
No. The FS800, FS820, FS830 will have 1 11/16, but the FS3 and FS5 have 1 3/4" nut.

The engelmann topped, rosewood back and sides LS16 with on board SRT zero impact pickup will have a scooped midrange sound and sparkling overtones. The upper register should make it sound really bright.
Expect the sitka topped, mahogany backed and sides FS3 to have a more prominent midrange sound. The scale length on this FS3 is 25" vs longer scale on the LS16.

The FS will have its truss rod adjuster on the headstock, while the LS16 will have its via the soundhole.

I wouldn't expect one guitar to be louder than the other. And they both come with similar hard sided gig bags I believe.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
No. The FS800, FS820, FS830 will have 1 11/16, but the FS3 and FS5 have 1 3/4" nut.
Sorry for wrong info. I will delete my post.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:02 AM

Default Yamaha FS3 vs LS16

Hi Birchtop. I used to own a Yamaha LS16 and sold it after about 9 months as I find the neck too chunky and the tone of the Rosewood b/s too bright for my liking.

Currently, I own a Yamaha FS5 since May this year and I’m still loving it. So I’m assuming the FS3 should be very close to the tone of the FS5.

I definitely prefer the FS3 to the LS16 because I tend to prefer the tone of mahogany to rosewood. Although both guitars are 1 & 3/4” in nut width, I find the FS3’s neck more comfortable and less chunky than the 5-piece neck of the LS16. If you have large hands, you may actually prefer the LS16’s neck.

It is hard to compare the FS3 vs LS16. A lot depends on what tone you prefer; hog or rosewood?

If you can stretch your budget, give the FS5 a try, you may love it! If not, then my vote goes to the FS3. The LS16 may get more love here in AGF as it has been in the market longer and more members own it as compared to the FS3 which is fairly new in the market.

The link to my NGD FS5 is below if you’re interested to read it.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
Howdy folks,

Was about to pull the trigger on the new Yamaha FS3. But earlier today I ran across the LS16. I noticed a couple differences like rosewood, poly, vs mahogany, nitro, along with a few others.

I could not find a side by side review of these to similarly priced, all-wood Yamahas. I don't have access to either, so I was hoping to hear from knowledgeable folks here to gain some insight as to which direction to go.

Any information, suggestions, or advice on these two would be greatly appreciated! TIA
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post

The engelmann topped, rosewood back and sides LS16 with on board SRT zero impact pickup will have a scooped midrange sound and sparkling overtones. The upper register should make it sound really bright.
Expect the sitka topped, mahogany backed and sides FS3 to have a more prominent midrange sound. The scale length on this FS3 is 25" vs longer scale on the LS16.

The FS will have its truss rod adjuster on the headstock, while the LS16 will have its via the soundhole.

I wouldn't expect one guitar to be louder than the other. And they both come with similar hard sided gig bags I believe.
I haven't played the FS3 (yet) but I imagine this is a pretty good assumption. I have a LS16 and it's exactly as described, though the low-mids do pop a little with Travis-style. It seems to sound its best with custom light strings, I use John Pearse .011-.052 (disclaimer: I'm a JP artist) and that opened up the overall tonality, especially the bass. I usually don't go lighter than .012-.053 but these really seem to be the ideal fit. For contrast's sake, I use the JP New Mediums on my LL16.

The FS3 also has a slightly shorter scale length (25" vs 25.5") so that'll factor into its tone and play-ability. I believe the body shape is the same but materials, bracing, and scale length differ. Both are gonna be great but it comes down to whether you prefer sparkle or warm, woody, mids.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I've played the FS3 and owned an LS6. The FS3 is solid mahogany and the LS is rosewood (unless they now do it as a hog, like they do with the LS6), so there's the immediate difference - the FS3 has a drier sound, with a different kind of overtone... but no less beautiful. After initially liking rosewood Yams, I found the L-Series rosewood overtones to be a little piercing... like unwanted ringing in my ears. I was glad to get back to mahogany (a Martin, via a walnut Gibson).

One of the older guys in my local store hadn't yet played the FS3, so I handed it to him... he immediately shot me a slightly startled look that said: "THAT is a beautiful guitar!!!". It's a very light guitar too - doesn't have that L-Series feeling of being a little over-built.

Before getting to the store I had it on my short list, but I do prefer a wider nut. Yamaha vastly oversizes their 1 3/4" nuts, they are more like 1 11/16", hence the string spacing feels a little tight.

Definitely try to find one to play for yourself.

PS. A left-field suggestion - if you've not tried a Gibson G-45... you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Some good info.

I think I'm going to take a couple weeks and mull things over. Possibly look at a couple others.

Maybe if I swap to a bone nut and saddle on my FS820 it will cure some of the GAS for while.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Birchtop; 11-18-2019 at 05:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion