The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Daryl: Here ya go, well the link anyway, looks like I would have to go to Japan to buy it. Last one on the bottom right, apparently the picture is copywrited as it would not let me copy it to post, I got it on my computer, but it will not download to the AGF.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/cont...eum/index.html
Thanks Tom
I haven't researched these as I knew I wasn't interested in the probable cost factor. But.........I can envision a future road trip for you with a daily AGF update of your Nippon adventure. Make a fab wedding anniversary trip for you and the wife, with the 86 as an, ahem, momento.
Trust me, I can spend your $ quickly, but prudently,lol
Old 11-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Oh yeh...........
Thanks RP!
Old 11-17-2019, 03:04 PM

Bert Jansch exclusively played high end Yamahas through his endorsement deal and he sounded absolutely superb - so good in fact he’s my favourite guitarist. So they must be pretty good!

Old 11-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
Thanks RP!
Always glad to do my part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Bert Jansch exclusively played high end Yamahas through his endorsement deal and he sounded absolutely superb - so good in fact he’s my favourite guitarist. So they must be pretty good!
Bert Jansch was an amazing guitarist and probably could have played Angie on a cigar box guitar and made it sound great...

Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-17-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I would think Sweetwater might, "might", be able to special order the 86 if someone parked the $ and was patient in the wait. Course a special order has a no return policy.
It would be interesting to have hands on to the same model in 36/56/86 to see if one could detect obvious improvements of tone. I'm well aware and versed in individual differences of each instrument irregardless of cost, but I'm also very aware of the focus that the Japanese can have for as close to perfection as is possible.
Check out kintsugi for an example.

The Japanese artist will take years to learn this delicate art that takes something broken and turns it into something beautiful-one at a time. If you've ever seen the time and work it takes to do real kintsugi, you would be impressed and amazed with the dedication of the artist. These are picture examples, the Japanese use real gold dust as the top layer. Some have discovered quick methods to look like kintsugi, but to watch the dedication and ceremony the real kintsugori artist employs is almost like a religious experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kintsugi.jpg (41.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 1_2wxN1DsROOl4o0sHhYkDWA.jpg (39.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg kintsugi-min.jpg (27.8 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by darylcrisp; 11-17-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM

I love my MIC LL16-12 string, which is probably on the upper end of their 'import' line. The MIJ Yamahas are even nicer, with a higher price, but still pretty reasonable for what they are, from what I've seen.

The Made in Japan Yamahas are regularly seen in the hands of people who can have any guitar they want. Bert Jansch comes to mind...there are many others.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Bert Jansch was an amazing guitarist and probably could have played Angi on a cigar box guitar and made it sound great...
Of course, but when you listen to his albums you definitely don’t find yourself thinking “if only his guitar was better”. Since Leo Kottke switched to Taylor on the other hand I do think he would sometimes sound better on a different instrument, like the brash sound on his first album.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Anyone know which series Andrew White plays?
He was my introduction to a Yamaha guitar years ago when I first started playing. I'll find the video, it was on candyrat.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROcPFDeNz_M

Old 11-17-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Here's another Andrew White treat, this looks like the jumbo shape to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89hNZv5cLs4

Old 11-17-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Here's another Andrew White treat, this looks like the jumbo shape to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89hNZv5cLs4

The guitar in this vid looks not unlike the one I posted above from Peach Guitars. Yeah, sick player...man...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

I remember Bert J at crossroads 2010. He walked out, took a single chair, and captivated the people. the other performers were groups of people, I cant remember who he followed or who came next, but i remember Bert Jansch vivadly in my mind to this day. He walked out alone and it was amazing. He was having a lot of medical issues at this time if memory serves. I think he died within the year after this performance.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7bqI...&start_radio=1

Last edited by darylcrisp; 11-17-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tom
I haven't researched these as I knew I wasn't interested in the probable cost factor. But.........I can envision a future road trip for you with a daily AGF update of your Nippon adventure. Make a fab wedding anniversary trip for you and the wife, with the 86 as an, ahem, momento.
Trust me, I can spend your $ quickly, but prudently,lol
That indeed sounds like a great idea, unfortunately you and I apparently have different ideas as to state of my finances!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I remember Bert J at crossroads. He walked out, took a single chair, and captivated the people. He was having a lot of medical issues at this time if memory serves.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7bqI...&start_radio=1
I’ll always regret not seeing Bert Jansch live. I could have seen him at the Edinburgh festival but as none of my friends liked him I decided not to rather than go alone, stupid. Wasn’t aware of his health problems until I heard the news he passed away,

Last edited by foxo; 11-17-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:51 PM

While looking up stuff on high end Yamahas, I came across info on the auction of John Denver's L-53 which he had made for him and played from the late 70's into the mid 80's. It was used on several TV specials and was completely documented to be his with paperwork, serial number, photos etc. The auction house listed it at an estimated value of 60,000 to 70,000.00.

Now that is a lot of money, but I would have thought it would have been 6 figures with the provenance with it. I could not find out what it did sell for as you need to be a member of the auction house to get that info. Curious though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion