The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Mine, knows I have a bunch and love them and knows this is pretty good vice for me to have. She appreciates them for their uniqueness, but says she really can't hear the differences among them, which honestly, there is not all that much haha.

She has embraced my hobby even to the point of allowing me to have my B.I.G. parties and has gotten into them so much that she loves the organizing and planning as well as all the beautiful guitars there.

Overall, she is wonderful.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Zero, nothing, nada, zilch. She is glad I have a healthy hobby/obsession and that’s it. One time a friend asked if she knew about my new guitar, she said they all looked the same to her. I said “good I can just keep buying more and you won’t notice”. She said “I can count containers you know”. She calls cases containers.

I have been happily married for 37 years. One secret to that is lack of communication. Yes “lack” you don’t have to tell each other everything, not unless you enjoy fighting.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:20 AM

My wife knows them.....The Doerr she calls "Noel" as the build was started on Christmas Day. Another one she calls, "the one I don't like" (actually not true!),
She LOVES my 12 string.....her most favorite..........and so on..........
She's mostly encouraged the whole way........will stop things she's doing if she knows I'm going to play and bring her knitting and sit with me.
She also knows I'm Maxed out and one would have to go in order to add another......that was "supposed" to happen with the last guitar ( which is "the one I don't like")......but now it's really at hand!! LOL!
Also, she pushes me to "do something" with this......play out, do a CD (or similar).......I think that's where she's had the most influence.
She's got her own thing with knitting, quilting, gardening/farming activities, so high interests are certainly shared in this house!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Yes, my wife knows my guitars. I just posted a story on finding a Brazilian Rosewood Larrivee yesterday. When I told my wife I was thinking of driving the hour and a half to check it out, she said "I want to go too." Of course, it cost me lunch in the quaint Norcal town of Petaluma, but she is part of the adventure.
The story is here is if you care to read: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=563960
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 11-17-2019, 09:38 AM

I quizzed my wife. She knows mine by brand name but she couldn’t say the model names. She did correctly note that they’re different sizes.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 11-17-2019, 09:43 AM

She's not really into music and details are NOT her strong suit.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I'm dying to "test" Nanny Jane to see if she can identify my different ones.
I wouldn't dare ask her to be blindfolded because I've asked her before "which one sounds best - and she hates that - and she will know the makers because they tend to write that on the headstock.

During 2017/8 she carried most of them in ant out od the car and clubs when I was too weak - and still does, bless her, although it is no longer necessary.

This actually makes me think about just how supportive my wife has been - she'll always come with me to the club, help with the load in/out and arrange the chairs /tables and she'll mostly come with me to gigs - esp. my rare solo gigs, although I never go with her to her dancing events (not that I'd be of any use - so I stay home and cook!)

In my modest (!) collection there is a handmade 0028 that she had made for me in 1998 (my 50th) using all her savings back then, and also a fiddle and a banjo that she bought for me. (I didn't ask).

I was playing in a bluegrass band when we met in 1980 and knew nothing of my sort of music but has become pretty keen on my kind of acoustic music although her real preference is Eastern European and middle eastern music - probably because of the dances that go with them.

We've been together for 39 years (first ten on "sale or return") so I guess I'll let her stay!

p.s. she feeds me too!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
let's change the topic to other half -

My husband does not play guitar at all, but enjoys my playing and going to music stores with me. He can tell the difference in sound between my archtop De Luxe and my Texan even without really looking at the guitars. Also he can tell the differences in tones from certain guitars when I go to music stores and look at guitars. So yes.
Great to share an interest even if it is the passion of just one of you!
Much the same for my wife and I - although she supports my interests a bit more than I supprt hers (nothing I can contribute really).

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 11-17-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
When I was talking about yet another guitar, my wife mentioned she should start herself a food processor collection... I stopped talking about the guitar.
This was really funny.....

My wife could not name the brand or types of guitars (I have 3 acoustics and an electric). Though she has virtually no demonstrated interest in my playing or interest in the hobby, I suspect she counts the cases and would recognize if the count went up.

I also suspect, though she does not know the guitars or brands, she would spot a new one by color or physical appearance. I use a 1-in-1-out method just because I don't need more than I have AND I don't want problems with the "finance department."
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 11-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Exclamation

My wife has been very supportive in allowing me to spend our money on a couple of nice guitars. She knows one is a Martin and the other Gibson. She gravitates toward anything with a burst finish.
I asked her if she knew the models I have and she had no idea so we went over that which included extensive eye rolling.

Last edited by jschmitz54; 11-17-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:34 AM

I have 10 acoustic and 3 electric guitars. The only guitar my wife can identify is a Martin HD28C that she bought me for our 25th anniversary. (It will be 50 years next month). She thinks all the others are just for looks because "they don't sound like the Martin".
Old 11-17-2019, 10:43 AM

My wife knows.........That I don't need anymore guitars......Meh what does she know anyway.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Why would my wife know my guitars? It's my hobby, not hers.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 11-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

She knows my main guitars are Taylors, and has even humored me by taking the Taylor factory tour with me a number of years ago. As to my specific guitars - there's the new "pretty one", and everything else. I've probably had a few too many come and go for her to keep up with .
Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Zero, nothing, nada, zilch. She is glad I have a healthy hobby/obsession and that’s it. One time a friend asked if she knew about my new guitar, she said they all looked the same to her. I said “good I can just keep buying more and you won’t notice”. She said “I can count containers you know”. She calls cases containers.

I have been happily married for 37 years. One secret to that is lack of communication. Yes “lack” you don’t have to tell each other everything, not unless you enjoy fighting.
I've pretty much said the same thing! Been married 42 years and people ask the secret and I've said it is NOT listening to each other.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion