The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Na not really "disingenuous" or "facile". I think you are confusing the art form with artists themselves.

"Music" is art and art itself is not a "competition". However you are correct, humans are very competitive and thus artists can certainly be competitive .
Thank you - a voice of reason.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Na not really "disingenuous" or "facile". I think you are confusing the art form with artists themselves.

"Music" is art and art itself is not a "competition". However you are correct, humans are very competitive and thus artists can certainly be competitive .

As long as the act of making music requires both the art form and an artist it is indeed simplistic to dismiss "competition" in the negative way that the OP characterized it when there are examples of how competition has improved both.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

Last edited by KevWind; 10-16-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
As long as the act of making music requires both the art form and an artist it is indeed simplistic to dismiss "competition" in the negative way that the OP characterized it when there are examples of how competition has improved both.
Except for the fact that the OP did not say "the act of making music is not a competition" ( that is your phrasing ) He simply said "music is not a competition" Again not dismissive, disingenuous, simplistic, or facile. I don't think any one has dismissed competition as being a factor in "Making music" but simply speaking to the art form itself.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-16-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I disagree that there are no "winners" in that situation, there are, however, no "losers". Which reinforces my point that in some contexts music competition can result in a person experiencing self-improvement that might not have happened otherwise. It's disingenuous and facile to simply state that "music is not a competition" in a completely negative sense when clearly some musicians have benefitted from engaging willingly, if not with great pleasure, in competition.
Hi catdaddy, perhaps I should remind you of the context of this second part:

"This is my new standard response to questions about musicians, e.g. Who is the better guitarist - Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Django Reinhardt, Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, Slash, The Edge etc.

(and my reply will be) "Each is best at being themselves. Music is not a competition".

Such questions are rarely asked with any serious consideration, but how may one seriously "judge" one famous guitarist against another, hence my response repeated above.

I hope that in this context, you will see that my response is neither disingenuous nor facile.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:55 PM

Sometimes it's quite straightforwardly a competition. There's a long tradition of fiddle contests in the U.S., and a whole circuit* of them still, with prizes, absolutely based on who is "best" in the judges' opinion. Likewise lots of Highland bagpipe competitions in the U.K. There's an All Ireland music competition which I won't attempt to spell (let alone pronounce). Jazz "cutting contests" back in the day (maybe still?) Just a couple examples off the top of my head.

That may not be the kind of thing Mr. M is referring to. But competition in music is a well-established tradition.

* http://www.aaruncarter.com/fiddle-contests.html

Last edited by frankmcr; 10-16-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I try to avoid using words in their superlative form such as easiest, hardest, best, worst, cheapest, most expensive, greatest, worst etc. Using these words means there is nothing beyond what you have stated and you have stated the absolute extreme.
Someone needs to have a talk with the marketing group at Fender.

They recently replaced their Elite line with the Ultra line of instruments.....virtually the same, but with even less useful features.....for a higher price.....................

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 10-16-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

...certainly playing music can be a competition...and I don’t reckon there is anything inherently wrong with that...it can help push a player if they are entering a flatpicking contest or some such competition....and when players try to one up each other in a public performance that can lead to some great playing as well...

...but...living in that headspace would be tiresome and likely detrimental to the musical experience for players and listeners alike....

...as far as rating legendary players goes....or any other players really......completely lame excercise...

Last edited by J Patrick; 10-20-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I’m with you on that SM! Everything is hard until it becomes easy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic